Best over ear headphones(no beats!)

alvarezjpr

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
audio techinica ath-m-50s ~ 150 $ best value for money

Another +10000...But make sure you break them in first. Don't judge them until you have used them for several hours. When I tried them out of the box, the sound was lackluster. That's when I found out online that they needed some time to start sounding...wait for it....AWESOME!:excited:

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
There are a lot of Great headphones in ear and over the ear out there in the market, but since we are in the Windows forums all i can say is if you want something that sound good, and that is COMPATIBLE with your Nokia phone the only ones that i know so far that are COMPATIBLE are the NOKIA-MONSTER PURITY. In ear or Over the ear doesn't matter. Before buying my Purity headphones i tried a few brands(Skullcandy, Apples etc) with my Lumia 920 and not all the functions works. I was having problems having to disconnect the headphone jack every time someone calls ,then after hanging the call the song starts playing without even connecting the headphone back. It was really annoying for me and for the people surrounding me. With the Purity headphones, mic work, forward,stop,skip and talk works out of the box.

I imagine that if your phone is HTC 8x then you should go BEATS since that is what they support.

the beats headphones are tuned mainly to boost the bass, this i believe may not entirely be a good thing. There are genres of music where this may be advantageous (mostly rap,hip hop and so on), but if you wanna listen to some tracks that have almost little or no bass (for example guitar solos maggot brain and stuff on the same lines) they completely kill the track by adding bass which should never be heard.

Hence i believe that when you buy headphones you need to choose depending on the genre of music you listen to

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Grado's are absolutely killer with the 920. The 80i's are only 30ohm and can be driven nice and clean with this phone. However, they are more on ear than over.

Stunning sound with 256 bit rate.

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I got some V-Modas on cyber Monday that are wonderful. At the $75 I paid they are by far the best bang for the buck. At regular prices they are still really nice, just not the super value I got. The color I got are $200 now on Amazon, but other colors go as low as $120 or so.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been looking in to the audio technica m50's, also the ultrasone hfi 780, and also the berdynamic DT-770, the problem with head-fi.org they don't seem to be too helpful.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Grado's are absolutely killer with the 920. The 80i's are only 30ohm and can be driven nice and clean with this phone. However, they are more on ear than over.

Stunning sound with 256 bit rate.
I need something that is great unamped, so grado has good over ear unamped headphones? any suggestions?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I need something that is great unamped, so grado has good over ear unamped headphones? any suggestions?

How "loud" is loud is subjective. But I have no qualms promising that the Grado's (80i) are really impressive in both quality and volume when listening to the 920. I've haven't put them on a single persons head that they didn't react with a "wow! This sounds great". (and they all say it real loud like I won't hear them. 😁

But notice I stated on-ear.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
If you are fan of the v shape signature with bass and clear highs, i can recommend Beyerdynamic DTX 501p. Depending on what kind of size you are looking, price and for what use. AH-D1100 imo for portable use is too big, not too far from my Denon AH-D5000 that i would never imagine to take outside or be driven by a phone.
I personally like to have heavy duty headphones that always stay in home and portable headphones that truly are portable without need for amp or any other extra stuff.

Grados are great but again if you are going for a portable use, they are totally open headphones so everybody around you can hear you loud and clear. Grados as a brand also divides people so that there's almost no middle ground. You either hate them or love them. They have almost screeching highs and not much on the lower end.

And yes head-fi is the place to go. Only problem with that site is that your guest for 120 euros headphones immediately or slowly slides to the +400 euros category. ;)

Last edited:

mechashen

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Check out the noontec zoros. I have a pair of allesandro ms 1s (modified grados) and a pair of denon d1000s and these are my favorite of the three for use with the phone. One of the largest factors for me is the fact that the zoros are very easily driven. No amp necessary whereas the allesandros and denons are far quieter at the same volume level. The zoros have a similar look to the beats solo but sound so much better throughout the spectrum. There is a great review on innerfidelity.com as well as cnet.com. Last but not least, I was able to get a new pair from eBay for around $60.

b4yp

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
+1 for the Grados. I love mine, but do agree with one of the prior comments. They're open back so might not be the best for public use
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I also used head-fi.org for reviewing some products, however it is not as helpful if you are looking for a headset that has a mike.

Monster Inspiration (passive) seem best for the moment for that. I run my headphones from 7:30am - 6:00pm non-stop, so finding a non-battery solution works best, plus its lighter..

I ended up with the Monster Inspiration Over Ear Noise-Isolating (Passive) which had better sound rating than the Monster Inspiration Over Ear Noise-Canceling (Active); $50 cheaper and no batteries. Very comfortable and I can wear them all day long. Monster Inspiration look very similar to the Nokia Purity by Monster Over-Ear headphones. Also they are very quiet for people around you, so great in an office environment, and great sealing to keep noise out. (edit: mike works great, as a headset I have no complaints).

as others noted, the Bose Quiet-Comfort 15 sound great, but the mike doesn't work as its optimized for iPhone.

Last edited:

zipro

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
+1 for Bose QC15's

They work great for listening to music but not as a headset - the microphone doesn't work with the Lumia 920. Same goes for Beats HD - these are all wired for the iPhone and don't work with Windows Phone devices. AFAIK the only one that does work at the moment is the Purity

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb