Made the move... android (S3) to Windows (HTC 8X)

L0cke

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I am long time android user. It's pretty much all I've used. Started with a HTC Hero, then HTC Desire HD, then an S3... have just bought an 8X and looking forward to getting into it.

I just started to get a bit bored with Android, and flashing ROMs etc, as they are all pretty much the same anyway, and all run the same apps that I use day in day out, so took the plunge and after reading up and looking at many reviews I thought the 8X was the best choice for me, and I am liking the look of Windows 8.

That's it. Sorry for droning on. Hope to find a nice home here :excited:

EDIT: So a few days in and I am loving it. Not missing Android or my S3 yet. The phone size/screen is perfect (for me) and feels much nicer in the hand. The OS is lovely. Smooth and simple to use. The Animations are nice and it just has a much more polished feel to it than android does. I am not really missing any apps and am quite surprised at the choice as thought the Windows store was pretty poor, but it has actually come along way. The only thing I am missing at the moment is a good Dropbox client and WhatsApp, but I hear these are in the works, so all good.

If anything I would love to see Google Chrome on WP8, or a choice of other Browsers, but IE does the job.

Overall, I am very pleased I made the move. I look forward to new apps and to see what comes of the OS.

Last edited:

beej

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome, L0cke! I look forward to hearing your experiences. I made the switch to WP when the HD7 was released, having come from Android and my Nexus One. Haven't regretted it (once I found comparable apps...)

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was with Android since it was released and made the switch to WP8 when it was released. I'm so glad I did. I really like WP8.

sahmad88

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I also switched from an S3 after a long stint with android. I love the look of Windows. I am missing some things, but I am sure I will get used to it. And as more people make the switch and more apps are developed, I am really curious to see where this goes. It is certainly nice to see something different, and so many people embracing windows.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome folks.. I've been with windows OS over 2 years, WM6.5 Omnia, then WP7.5 HTC Radar. I'm on an HTC 8X now. I hope you enjoy your new stuff. There's a lot of help here if you need it. Most folks will gladly assist if you need.

Again welcome and Happy Holidays

Nostr3z

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Have made the move a day or 8 ago.
Have a One X to and i love all the time i have left now to spare on other things then tweaking, theming and flashing.
This is just a dream to work with if you ask me.
After the time i got it i had no reboots,no dirt and a strong battery life after some charging.
16 g was the only thing that made me think if i would take the 8X.
But it was not a dealbreaker for me and i stil have 3 gig left.
This is just what i was looking for and if you ask me if you have the phone for some time you will not miss android at all ( maby some apps but that will come )

Greetz.

Sav_OK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I also have made the move from the galaxy s3! got bored and bought the htc 8x as i fancied a change and have never used a windows phone, i was a iphone user for a few years, then got a nexus,then back to iphone and then got the s3 which i find an amazing phone, and upto now, the htc x8 is great, i love the feel in hand, it feels better to hold then the s3, the screen is just as sharp and the os is simple to use, my only issue is no google maps navigation, but i am sure some good turn by turn navigation apps will rise over time, closest i can find at moment is gmaps...but seems rough with searching locations i have tried

Gdwheel

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have both the 8X and the GSIII and go back and forth between them. They are both good phones and shine in different ways. Windows is great and I look forward to new and better app development. The Jellybean update to the GSIII made it very fast and smooth and there are some features of the GSIII I miss in the 8X. If Samsung put Windows on a GSIII device it would be superb (ATIV??).

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I also have made the move from the galaxy s3! got bored and bought the htc 8x as i fancied a change and have never used a windows phone, i was a iphone user for a few years, then got a nexus,then back to iphone and then got the s3 which i find an amazing phone, and upto now, the htc x8 is great, i love the feel in hand, it feels better to hold then the s3, the screen is just as sharp and the os is simple to use, my only issue is no google maps navigation, but i am sure some good turn by turn navigation apps will rise over time, closest i can find at moment is gmaps...but seems rough with searching locations i have tried

Don't be quick to dismiss Bing maps. I've had absolutely no qualms with it. It gives you turn by turn as well. What's great, you search for something, say a furniture store fore example, when the info page comes up, tap on the address, it will show on the map, then on the bottom, tap get directions, my location should be default, and you'll get the way & eta by car of foot.

Try it. Let me know

dsirico

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Switched from years of iPhone monotony. The 8X could end wars this thing is fantastic, the speed and OS integration is lights out.

dsirico

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Don't be quick to dismiss Bing maps. I've had absolutely no qualms with it. It gives you turn by turn as well. What's great, you search for something, say a furniture store fore example, when the info page comes up, tap on the address, it will show on the map, then on the bottom, tap get directions, my location should be default, and you'll get the way & eta by car of foot.

Try it. Let me know

Agreed. I bought VZ Navigator on the first day and cancelled the subscription because I like the built in maps feature better. I like the slide/scrolling steps feature with the step to step animations, really cool. Only nitpicky things I have is that the little dot indicating your position moves a bit choppy and when you transition from list to map and back again it loses its spot. But thats just pickiness and preference. Very sufficient feature.

cparker5

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have a long history with Android

iPhone
Moto Droid
HTC Incredible
HTC Thunderbolt
HTC Incredible 2
iPhone 5s
SG III

Keep in mind I usually carry 2 phones, one personal and one work. I currently still have Galaxy III and the HTC 8x. I still like the III more than the 8x but it is mostly app issues, I was patient with droid and the apps came, I am sure they will with the WP8.

Of the 3 phones I have used in the past month this is my current order, it can change as I use the WP8 more.

SGIII
HTC8X
iP5s

beachhoppr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I started with the original HTC G1, upgraded a few times and finally moved from the HTC myTouch 4G earlier this year to the HTC Radar and then to the HTC 8x a few weeks ago and I haven't looked back. I think Android lost their way awhile back but that's me.

Sav_OK

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

Try it. Let me know

will give it ago, and report back how i find it compared to google navigation on my s3! but so far i am still enjoying the phone, just downloading the update at the moment, see what changes they have made

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos