Update for 8X

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
It's at this point that I seriously regret my lack of impulse control. Every year, I vow that I will never buy a carrier branded (locked) device, instead opting for a fully unlocked phone from Expansys or Clove or similar. Last year, I stuck to my guns and picked up my un-sullied Titan from Clove. This year, all the excitement of WP8 overwhelmed me and I succumbed at the O2 store on the first day of 8X availability in the UK and now have an O2 branded 8X which no doubt means that I will not get this nice new update for several months while O2 "test" and "validate" it on their wonderful network. Shame they don't do as much testing on their network infrastructure which has fallen over catastrophically TWICE this year!

Ah well.....................

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Isn't there a changelog? I was looking over the menus but I couldn't find any differences except for those you mentioned already...

paulsnyder90

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully this does something about the battery issues.

Still losing about 6-10% hourly just in stand by and I've followed almost all the """battery tricks and tips"""

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded and installed the update. It seems to get stuck in the "preparing update" at 100% but after a couple of minutes it carries on.

The ability to keep WiFi turned on while locked it's great, specially since my carrier has been getting major signal and data problems in the last month or so.

I also noticed a firmware update but I can't find any info. The updates (there were 3-4 into one) are numbered using the standard KB numbering system used in Windows or other Microsoft products. Tomorrow will try to look for the KB articles if there are any.

It's good to know that Microsoft kept their promise for early updates. Hopefully we can add "often" to that as well :D

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded and installed the update a few minutes ago. Also got stuck at 100% for a few minutes, then completed the installation.

Love the Reply with Text option. In fact it's even better than on iOS as you can have the option of fully customizing the pre-set text messages, whereas with iOS the customization is only partial (which never made sense to me).

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
First day with the update - I can say I notice improvement on the battery life. However, I experienced a new problem - instead of rebooting, the phone just turned off once... I hope it won't happen again.

taurgis

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Got the update today, it got stuck at 100% for a while but suddenly I got a popup to install. 10 minutes later update finished without a hitch.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
It's at this point that I seriously regret my lack of impulse control. Every year, I vow that I will never buy a carrier branded (locked) device, instead opting for a fully unlocked phone from Expansys or Clove or similar. Last year, I stuck to my guns and picked up my un-sullied Titan from Clove. This year, all the excitement of WP8 overwhelmed me and I succumbed at the O2 store on the first day of 8X availability in the UK and now have an O2 branded 8X which no doubt means that I will not get this nice new update for several months while O2 "test" and "validate" it on their wonderful network. Shame they don't do as much testing on their network infrastructure which has fallen over catastrophically TWICE this year!

Ah well.....................

I think with the UK carriers, it doesn't take much longer. All our networks are the same so it doesn't require extra testing. Of course, I always go SIM-free anyway so it isn't an issue for me. But you should get it soon. I've not read issues of UK carriers holding back updates.

thetroublewith

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I think with the UK carriers, it doesn't take much longer. All our networks are the same so it doesn't require extra testing. Of course, I always go SIM-free anyway so it isn't an issue for me. But you should get it soon. I've not read issues of UK carriers holding back updates.

Just to add, I have a Three branded handset and I managed to download the update this morning. :)

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I suppose I should find something better to do with my day than sitting here clicking "check for update" every ten minutes -- especially as I have "tell me when" and "automatically download" both checked :)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

RobbCab

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You should probably update the blog post to clarify that it works but it needs to know the caller is calling from a mobile number and n your contacts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb