Why does Nokia Creative Studio double the size of JPEGs?

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else notice this? After I edit a shot in Nokia Creative Studio, no matter how little, it just about doubles the size of the file. Any good reason for that? Makes no sense to me, as no photo straight off the phone is even close to as big as these edited files. At this rate I think I would rather not do this to every file as it will take up more space on SkyDrive and make navigating photos much slower when I want to show photos to someone over the cloud.

George Ponder

Editor
Dec 28, 2001
Visit site
I'm only seeing about a 60KB increase in image size when I add filters and only a 30KB increase when I adjust color balance and clarity. I imagine if you did a lot of editing it would increase the file size a bit more. Not sure about doubling but you will see a slight increase.

Most of the edits in Creative Studio (or any other photo editing software) will increase the file size simply because they are adding to the image.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else notice this? After I edit a shot in Nokia Creative Studio, no matter how little, it just about doubles the size of the file. Any good reason for that? Makes no sense to me, as no photo straight off the phone is even close to as big as these edited files. At this rate I think I would rather not do this to every file as it will take up more space on SkyDrive and make navigating photos much slower when I want to show photos to someone over the cloud.

i have noticed this also. size usually increases in an image when you increase the resolution of it or add more detail to it. so in the case of the clarity option in creative studio, if you increase the clarity you are adding information to the pic so it in turn increases the size of it. i actually love the clarity option in creative studio. i have not seen it double the original pic size, and thats with the pic being highest resolution. i just tried it again and i saved an original pic of 3.8mb and after increasing the clarity the pic is now 4.2mb. the more you slide the clarity bar the bigger the pic will be.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I move the clarity bar to halfway between the center and the right (so it's at about 75% of the full bar). Then I touch the vibrance up just the slightest bit to give a bit more warmth. That bumped the file size from 2.91 to 5.46 on one of mine. So, not double but close.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I move the clarity bar to halfway between the center and the right (so it's at about 75% of the full bar). Then I touch the vibrance up just the slightest bit to give a bit more warmth. That bumped the file size from 2.91 to 5.46 on one of mine. So, not double but close.

yes thats what i do with the clarity bar also. i normally don't mess with anything else. but the file size going up that much is normal. a lot of it also depends on how much detail is in the original pic. the clarity bar in creative studio really does the pic a lot of justice. it's almost like that's how the original pic should have been at the time of capture.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
yes thats what i do with the clarity bar also. i normally don't mess with anything else. but the file size going up that much is normal. a lot of it also depends on how much detail is in the original pic. the clarity bar in creative studio really does the pic a lot of justice. it's almost like that's how the original pic should have been at the time of capture.

Yeah, the resulting image looks a lot better...more defined and with better contrast. This is definitely a nice app. I think they could perhaps add some numbers so you knew exactly how much you were adjusting the settings.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Images are nothing but 0's and 1's. The more you edit, the more 0's and 1's there are. That means the image has more information.

More information (editing) = more size.

simple as that.

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I do encounter this as well ...ie having the file size increase, up to 6MB..

http://skydrive.live.com/#cid=F785341FE8E8C590&id=F785341FE8E8C590!305

what i would like to check is the range of file size for the pictures that are taken by Nokia 920 using formats in 3352 x 2000 / 2448 x 3264.
I'm getting average file size of 2-3MB ....

Is that the normal picture file size or are you able to capture image files with higher MB ... just a curious thought.....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs