Any tricks to allow tethering with 920 and ATT Unlimited Data?

willz06jw

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys/gals,

Are there any tricks to allow tethering with 920 and ATT Unlimited Data? I would like to buy this phone, as I have a Surface and three PCs upgraded to Win8, but I use my jailbroken iphone to tether to my surface in the backwoods.

Snarks: please don't reply, "Get another type of data plan"

Thank you,
Will

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to tether with my 920. With android, I used an app called FoxFi... anything like this available for wp8?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
WIFI tethering is built into the OS. If you have the 5 gb or data share plans it is included for free. Wireless hotspot with up to 5 devices I think.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
WIFI tethering is built into the OS. If you have the 5 gb or data share plans it is included for free. Wireless hotspot with up to 5 devices I think.

Title says for those with unlimited data. Foxfi on android can be used by anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Only think I miss about Verizon, I could tether and didn't have to pay for a plan that made no sense for me. I don't need or want a 5gb plan. ATT not allowing us to tether on a 3gb plan or any plan for that matter, is bs.

Its like your cable company charging you to connect your wireless router and cell phone. Its bull crap. This is a feature that is part of the phone and ATT is blocking us from using it.

We already pay for our data, no excuse to not let us use it how we want to.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I also would like to know if this is possible. ATT doesn't offer an unlimited tethering plan and the only way to get tethering is to give up my unlimited data. I wish someone could come up with some kind of an app for that.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok. When I hear tether, I think of the old days when you had to connect your phone to computer with a cable. Loved my BB. It's tether, hotspot/internet sharing, same thing. I had an unlimited data plan. With taxes, I was paying $100 with unlimited texts, mobile to mobile and 450 minutes to land lines with rollover. I wanted hotspot. Phone plan stayed same and 3gb plan would have been about $15 cheaper and 5gb plan, which I chose, took my bill to $120. Now I can "tether" 😉 all I want to. I haven't come close to 5gb. I was "tethering" my BB9810 and Playbook before I got Surface/ 920 with the Bridge function work around and I went over 3gb twice. You probably don't use as much data as you think. It's probably just a matter of time before someone finds work around for unlimited tethering like BB, but don't hold your breath. Its also just a matter of time before ATT does away with unlimited like Verizon did with upgrades. Hotspot is well work $20 for me, but maybe not all. I know, not what you wanted to hear, but you may want to consider. Surface is just as fast on lte as my Wifi.

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly the only reason I still have my Att account is because I don't want to give that up. If the do away with it I think I would switch because most of my extended family are on Verizon which would make things easier.

Stefan L

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Would be nice if there is a way to circumvent the "plan check" that is enabled in the ATT carrier package
Or just redirect the request and have a server that says yest to all requests...
Any coders out there?

wavieira

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
That's not the question being asked. If someone has "Unlimited Data", is there a mechanism to Tether or use as a Hotspot? 5GB plan is *not* unlimited.

:smile:

sciencefair

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately there's nothing you can do at the moment. One of the big downsides for the WP platform IMO, especially since there are methods on both iOS and android to get around this restriction, but I guess that's the price you pay if you want to be in a secure walled garden.

edit: Sorry, didn't realize that wavieira bumped a 6 month old thread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad