How to take a good photo with the 920

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have seen several topics about the camera and how poor it is.

I agree with a lot of these comments, but only regarding the AUTO settings, which I hope to god Nokia/MS sort out ASAP.

I am not a professional in the slightest, I've just played with the settings a bit and if you know what you're doing, you can adjust all of those settings to get a great photo.

Scenes can dramatically change how a photo looks, I'd suggest that unless your 'scene' is well lit and there isn't much movement don't use Auto.

ISO again can really make a difference, if everything is well lit and you're not shaking like a granny use a lower ISO.

Exposure level helps with lighting as well, I've experimented with this and found that (depending on light sources around) -1 to -1 2/3 helps to reduce the glare from lights in night shots and make things a lot clearer.

The one setting I haven't really messed with is White balance.

Focus Assist Light helps with most shots I've found.

I'm sure there are others out there who know much more than I do about the settings and might be able to offer advice?

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Tap the screen to activate the shutter instead of using the dedicated camera button. Seems to focus much better that way.

Not better, just more precise.

Press the button and you'll see the focus area is larger...covering more focal planes. Press the screen and the focus area is smaller, thus focusing on a specific item you want.

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Not better, just more precise.

Press the button and you'll see the focus area is larger...covering more focal planes. Press the screen and the focus area is smaller, thus focusing on a specific item you want.

I didn't know this, that's quite useful. So using the button might help when taking landscape type photos?

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know this, that's quite useful. So using the button might help when taking landscape type photos?

If what you want to capture is in the far distance then using either one will be fine, but I think most people get better results when tapping the screen.

For example though, if you want to take a macro shot, press the screen exactly where you want it to focus, and it will focus in a tighter, more precise area than if you used the button.

gilesjuk

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Depends what good means. If you mean in focus and exposed right then the auto tends to do okay.

If you mean a good photograph that would win an award then you had better think about interesting things to take a photo of, good lighting and colours (weather conditions, time of day and good scenery).

A good camera won't make a photo of a poor subject matter and rubbish lighting appear magical.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Mhm its meant for the older ones, IIRC, but saturation you just tone afterwards directly on your cellphone with thumba editor or similiar SW :) . No idea about the other two as I have no idea what they are :p .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss