Crazy battery drain outta nowhere :(

kclub

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine too. I was having such good battery life and now i noticed my weather.com live tile didnt update from last night until i opened the app and the battery is draining faster than usual :(

Same here! I had good battery life last week, but suddenly it starts to drain for no reason. It died when I was sleep from 40% in about 8 hours.( No NFC, no bluetooth, no background task.)

VisceralMonkey

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Holy CRAP. My phone is almost dead, I watched the battery drop from 23% to 15% in the span of 10 minutes or so. I've uninstalled metro tube but that's apparently NOT the problem. There was some other update this morning I installed, I think it was a Nokia one and I'm willing to be that's the issue. The phone is almost unusable like this, WTF nokia?

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Charged up to 55%, lost 5% in 5 minutes. I'm going to hard reset when I get home and not update anything. This is crazy...

so with it on the charger you are gaining charge but with it off you are losing 5% in 5min? because with it losing 5% in 5min you would still lose charge with it charging because you're not gaining 5% charge in 5min.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site

LordXaero

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Noticed my battery going down faster than usual too. Thought it was because of the wireless charge from lastnight.

If anyone finds a fix, please let us know!

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
LTE will drain your battery much faster than 3G, but then you'll also get much better data speeds. So, I guess if you don't need the speeds, flipping to 3G will surely give you MUCH better battery life - after all they beefed up the battery a bit to compensate for the higher LTE drain.

SaabBrat

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My original 920 and replacement 920 (first one bricked when I reset it while working on the battery drain issue with tech support) both do this occasionally. I don't think it's something simple like "LTE uses more power than 3G" because as this thread says, it drains like crazy and not just faster than usual. I have wondered if it's something to do with low signal or network switching because it seems like a few days it has dropped from 100% off charge to 80% within an hour without any use, then leveled out and been normal once I've left my house (where there's poor AT&T signal--go figure). However, the best fix I've been able to find is the 2 times I haven't been able to get it back to a charger fast enough and it's gone totally dead. After a full charge it always seems to be much better, at least for a few days. Mine hasn't been hot during the crazy discharge times, so I'm wondering whether this is actually an issue with the phone figuring out how much charge is truly left (the estimated time is WAY off compared to my WP7 Samsung Focus) and it helps for it to charge from rock bottom. Still trying to find some pattern, but I don't think it's an app or network speed choice...

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Spoke too soon. Battery drain is still going on. Ugh can't wait too get home and hard reset.

So switching to 3G and doing a soft reset didn't stop the battery drain? That's looking like a radio issue... voice mail sync issue... other running process getting stuck issue deep in the OS goo...

wutradition

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
LTE will drain your battery much faster than 3G, but then you'll also get much better data speeds. So, I guess if you don't need the speeds, flipping to 3G will surely give you MUCH better battery life - after all they beefed up the battery a bit to compensate for the higher LTE drain.
I firlmy disagree with this claim. LTE is more efficient than 3g.

WOAHesco

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
My phone was working fine since I got it (12/13) and my battery was great once i went through the cycles (using it till it died on its own then charging it to 100% and same thing over and over) then these past couple of days it's just been draining more so than it ever has and my tiles stopped updating regularly. So I was playing with my phone this morning trying to figure out what the deal was and saw in my email and accounts page that my Live account and my Twitter account that was connected to my phone was not up to date. An error came up saying that it could not connect to the server. I did a soft reset and checked again and this time is was my facebook account connected to my phone that was coming up with the error. I did another soft reset and waited a bit and now everything seems to be fine. It's only been about 2 hours but my phone is still at 43% after 2 hrs. I guess it was continually trying to connect to the server. Hopefully its fixed now. I'll update if there are any changes.

pjeung

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
i'm not sure for you guys, but for me, uninstalling my battery level/reader app has done my battery wonders. I was all for the percentage lock screen icon and thought it was a good look, but that 99 turned into a 89 in a blink of an eye. Ever since i uninstalled that, my battery life has been money.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Five soft resets and a hard reset later, my battery drain is gone. Have no clue how it happened.

EDIT: spoke too soon again. Battery drain is still there. 2 hours went from 100% to 65%. It has to be the phone.

Last edited:

Mad MilkMan

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I for some reason noticed significant battery drain after installing the locksider app, don't know if it was trying over and over again to grab images or what but after un-installing it set my battery back to its normal lifespan..

williamlololol

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely a random task in the background that's stuck on loop that we can't close except for reset. I get this problem too.

I suspect it's location services because I always see it pop up every now and then without me using any location based apps.

Hope Microsoft/nokia fixes this

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I have crazy drains as well. Charged to 100%, unplugged and went to sleep for 5 hours. Woke up, the phone is on 85%! I then recharged to 100% again with flight mode turned on, and it stayed 100%. So to me, looks like some background apps is still constantly connecting to the internet even when I tell the phone to block background tasks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans