Problem with glass at top of phone?

octavian90

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hard to describe, but basically a rectangle of glass around the earpiece/front camera is different from the rest. I can't clean it off completely, and it is a little 'cloudier' than the rest of the screen. Its a perfect rectangle too which is weird. Did they make a mistake putting a coat on the glass or something?

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Isn't it some kind of sensor? My htc hd7 had it but it was two circles rather than a small rectangle.

Im positive is the distance sensor that causes the screen to go blank when its near your ear. I could be wrong though :(

JConn_Lefty

Jan 1, 1970
Visit site
Hard to describe, but basically a rectangle of glass around the earpiece/front camera is different from the rest. I can't clean it off completely, and it is a little 'cloudier' than the rest of the screen. Its a perfect rectangle too which is weird. Did they make a mistake putting a coat on the glass or something?

that's the light censor.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
that's the proximity sensor. it turns the screen off when it detects something close during a call (such as your cheek) to save battery.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
that's the proximity sensor. it turns the screen off when it detects something close during a call (such as your cheek) to save battery.

That's not what he is referring to.

Here is a pic of mine. You can clearly see a difference in the glass. It goes from the speaker to the camera to the sensor.

IMG_0806.jpg

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a similar thing. Directly above the cutout for the earpiece there is always a smudge on the glass. The only way to clean it is with a microfiber cloth. If I run my finger across the whole width of the phone along the top edge of the screen, the smudge returns, but the rest of the screen I touched remains spotless. Must be an area without the coating.

PS I also have some areas on the black case that cannot be cleaned--near the sim door. The black color is a little different than the rest of the phone. It's been that way since unboxing.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I made the other thread about. I received a replacement phone from Nokia due to battery issues again and this new cyan l920 does NOT have that weird rectangle that goes from the earpiece to the O in Nokia. Also it doesn't flex or creek by the bottom left speaker like my other one did

My last cyan also had slight discoloring on the back

octavian90

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I made the other thread about. I received a replacement phone from Nokia due to battery issues again and this new cyan l920 does NOT have that weird rectangle that goes from the earpiece to the O in Nokia. Also it doesn't flex or creek by the bottom left speaker like my other one did

My last cyan also had slight discoloring on the back

excellent. Unfortunately I'm outside the replacement window but will ask for a reconditioned one. Hopefully will be fine!

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm amazed as to how many people are unable to actually click on a link and open their eyes. Once again, it's the glass, not the sensor

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss