How to make video calling on Lumia 920

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
By video calling do you mean skype?
By "without using data connection" you mean over cellular vs wifi?
What happens, exactly, when it doesn't work?

Are you on AT&T?

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
really? I presumed that my old phone that used to be able to make video calls always made it through phone credit, rather than using data connection (at least I didn't seem to get charged for data when I video called a lot).

Anyway, thanks for the answers guys. I guess I will just have to stick with Skype then.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
It's a pity though, because with a native video calling option, I could have made video calls to people who have no skype account, rather than the current situation whereby I only have a handful of skype contacts whom I can video call.

The Master1

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
YES SAME problem here.. no native video calling..

Native Video Calling for me = NO CHARGE/FREE.. if need to use skype etc.. these all get charged at data rates.... also people that I call.. do not have skype etc.. but can send/receive native video calls...

Android does not have this support either (except samsung phone).

Might have to go back to my non-smart Native Video Calling Nokia 6600.....

sigh...

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
There's a "native" video chat in Android (Google+ hangout) and it uses up data, too. There's currently no way for a data service provider to differentiate between video calls and normal calls, considering all video calls go through various Internet protocols.

D

Deleted member 199301

It's a pity though, because with a native video calling option, I could have made video calls to people who have no skype account, rather than the current situation whereby I only have a handful of skype contacts whom I can video call.
What program do they use for video if you aren't using Skype or G+?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

The benefit of Skype is that it is available on almost every device under the sun that is < 5 years old.

'other' solutions are proprietary and locked in to only that phone.

Given that Skype is the future of Microsoft messaging, and now integrates into your Microsoft account login, I would expect it to become the built in video software in a future update.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Isn't video calling supposed to be a operator thing rather than only an instrument or an OS thing? e.g. Three UK support video calling and has a different rate and allowance to make video calls or so did I think.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Isn't video calling supposed to be a operator thing rather than only an instrument or an OS thing? e.g. Three UK support video calling and has a different rate and allowance to make video calls or so did I think.

Never heard any operator do that in the US. These days all video data is, well, data... so unless it really is baked in and somehow has different QOS flags active so the operator can identify the different traffic and bill differently, it would be hard to split out. Perhaps they do that in the UK?

farzonalmaneih

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Video calls are always going to be data. Though, it is quite possible for a carrier to determine you are using video and not charge you for that data usage. I have never heard of that here in the USA, but I can imagine carriers could consider bundling packages for video minutes.

lsmachado

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Although Tango was an option on my Lumia 900, it does not seem to be available for my Lumia 920 (US). I have searched the Store, but it is not there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo