Proper volume level for pure analog line-out?

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I guess you'd need a somewhat accurate multimeter to measure this. Does anyone have one handy?

I believe proper line level voltage should measure 200-250mV

Since windows phone 8 decided not to support any popular usb audio standards, most of us are stuck using the headphone jack to connect to our amps (car or home stereo). I think this might be good info for us.

Also, does anyone know if enabling beats audio uses a better DAC or if it's just an amp+equalizer (which is useless if you're plugging your phone into an amp)

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i contacted HTC about this and the rep said he'd escalate my question to higher level people who could answer it, but I haven't heard back yet :(

I think the "beats audio" amp is always active. It wouldn't make sense to put two amps in the phone.

enabling beats likely just does EQ and a gain increase (although i heard after the latest update that beats no longer sounds louder, so it may just be EQ now). perhaps even some dynamics compression which is why people think they hear more detail.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
i contacted HTC about this and the rep said he'd escalate my question to higher level people who could answer it, but I haven't heard back yet :(

I think the "beats audio" amp is always active. It wouldn't make sense to put two amps in the phone.

enabling beats likely just does EQ and a gain increase (although i heard after the latest update that beats no longer sounds louder, so it may just be EQ now). perhaps even some dynamics compression which is why people think they hear more detail.

It enhances bass, restores lost information from compression and has virtualization effects similar to what SRS and Dolby headphone provides.

chris7191

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Proper line out level is 2V RMS. To measure you need a true RMS multimeter or an oscilloscope. Play around a 100 Hz sine wave and measure.

In practice, the best thing to do is turn up the volume on the phone as loud as you can without causing clipping in the device you are connecting to.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Proper line out level is 2V RMS. To measure you need a true RMS multimeter or an oscilloscope. Play around a 100 Hz sine wave and measure.

In practice, the best thing to do is turn up the volume on the phone as loud as you can without causing clipping in the device you are connecting to.

Thanks much Chris. I agree with you too..

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
here is the response i got

"We have requested the information you asked for, but our corporate office has advised us that this information is proprietary and we would not be able to provide you with the information you're looking for. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with today. Thank you for contacting HTC and have a wonderful day!"

that irks me... they can't tell me what volume level to use for 2v output? or if their beats audio is just an EQ or actual hardware upgrades?

they couldn't answer whether or not i should be using beats for the most unaltered signal? (i already knew the answer to this one)

seems a bit shady to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077