"The Next iPhone"

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Apps are a huge selling point for the general phone market. If people don't have their apps they are so used to having and using on a daily basis on their Iphone or Android phone, why would they switch over to a windows phone?

Apps such as Instagram are essential for windows phone to gain a lot of new customers.
Agreed. And I believe that's where the focus must be. On those quality apps. Personally I don't use instagram but I know a lot of people do and it is those apps that we need with all the functionality of iOS and Androids apps.

GomzyRockz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe the lack of apps is entirely dependent on the individual using it. Honestly there is a significant lack of apps in all categories, but there are also some nice replacements.

As for me, I am making a compromise with apps like Fotoroom(all my friends are on Instagram!!), facebook (Microsoft, really??), etc. lack of my bank app, mint, whatsapp(horrible on WP8)

My point is that what I call as lack of apps, might be more than enough for another individual. I am willing to wait, because I am beginning to love this OS, and I do love my Lumia 920

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Good article. The only thing I hate that people keep saying is that the app store needs to catch up to iOS and google and I don't think that's true. I don't think MS store needs 700,000 apps. We need great apps, quality over quantity. We need to focus on that rather than the amount of apps. How many fart sound apps or ghost radar apps does one person need?
Funny how people bring up the stupid 'how many fart apps' example for iOS and Android when the Windows Phone store isn't any better.
Search results for "fart" | Windows Phone (United States)

Ricky C

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I missed my iOS aps and returned back to my iphone after 13 days of my Lumia 920 (was exempt from the restocking fee because it was heating up pretty hot). When I went back to the iPhone I missed certain things about my 920. I just reordered the 920, and can deal with the lack of Instagram, Google Aps, iMovie, and Spotify for the time being. If I really can't live without iOS I'll probably get an iPad and use that on the side.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Good article. The only thing I hate that people keep saying is that the app store needs to catch up to iOS and google and I don't think that's true. I don't think MS store needs 700,000 apps. We need great apps, quality over quantity. We need to focus on that rather than the amount of apps. How many fart sound apps or ghost radar apps does one person need?

that's the problem. WP doesn't have that many good quality apps, there are only a handful. And games on WP? Truly pathetic choice of games. There are hundreds of quality apps that are still missing.

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone has an app problem, period. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional or stupid, or both.

The reason for this problem?... Money. People like money. People like to make it, people like to spend it. People go where the money goes. Currently Android and iOS are where the users (money) are at and developers know this and therefore choose to develop for these platforms as they have the highest likely hood of yielding a return on their investment when their apps are exposed to the most users possible. Windows Phone has nowhere near the users of either of those platforms, so why develop for it? Less users = less downloads = less money. So we have a bit of a catch 22 here then, if developers need users to develop but Windows Phone needs developers to get users then Microsoft is left with a bit of a difficult situation. To which the only real solution is to try to gain users without apps, which is a tough thing to do at this point in the smartphone race. However Microsoft isn't stupid (usually) and it appears they have a plan, and that plan is to make the best software possible, the best hardware possible, and sell it all as cheap as possible in as many places as possible, and guess what... Its working! Windows Phone is steadily gaining marketshare, it may not be happening as fast as we would like but it's definitely happening.

Thing is people are getting bored of iOS and Android, both are great systems no doubt but in the mind of the hungry ADD populous they're beginning to grow stale. iOS hasn't really changed since 2008, which may as well be a millennia ago as far as technology is concerned, and Android while still far more youthful and fresh has allowed itself to be ripped apart by manufacturers until all that's left is cheap dollar store devices running some butchered frankensteined version of its software that's hardly even recognizable and in almost all cases entirely worse. Not to mention the fact that nearly every device seems to be abandoned far before the end of your average contract, leaving the user with an outdated phone and not even the hint of an upgrade in sight. So in other words users are starting to look for alternatives of which there aren't many at the moment, Blackberry is MIA, Symbian is well... Symbian. But wait what's this being advertised over half-time breaks, on the internet, on street corners and billboards. Well its Windows Phone of course, here to save the day with its modern clean design, cutting edge hardware, and most of all its sparkling newnessocity. Customers are turning to Windows Phone, and that means, you guessed it, more users! Which eventually will mean more developers, but not just yet.

We're almost there, Windows Phone is starting to pick up traction like a rocket readying for take-off (that was a **** metaphor but you get the point). It won't be long now until the apps start flooding into the store, and with them will come even more users to share in the glory. Instawhatever, Newitsocialthing, Pong, we shall have it all. At this point all we have to do is wait, and you know what... It's never been more worth it.

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
honestly do you think people actually do work on an iphone? Most business people just use it for email and texting, among calls as well. Every single smartphone can do that. Just gotta make it cool and have all the social media apps available and have the support to help new users use the thing. WP8 needs instagram now. It what's trending and what will launch it to the next level, or potentially anyways.

Kooosh

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
First sentence of article: "The Nokia Lumia 920 has changed the face of both Nokia and Google."

Stopped reading right after that.

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the existence of WP is important to the market and am confident that the range of apps will grow the more WP phones are sold.

Still, there are glaring gaps in the app coverage on WP. A lot of the large banks around the world are opting not to offer WP banking apps, instead choosing to cover the vast majority of their customers with Android and iOS. Same is true of a number of content providers, a lot of whom require Flash support or have solutions tailored to iOS that don't work on WP. There is not a single reliable VOIP app in WP - and no, Skype is not reliable - by reliable I mean being able to receive calls to a VOIP based number with 95-99% availability, not just being able to make VOIP calls. That is covered on both Android and iOS. Not to mention Office apps and truly good alternative browsers. The number of options provided by MS' own Office package pales in comparison to the functionality available on Android and iOS - heck, even Symbian is better on that front, which is just sad given Office is MS' own baby.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

It really is not a good article. It just rehashes specs of the Lumia 920 and trying to pass it off as a reversal from recommending the iPhone 5. None of the fundamentals changed since the 920 has been released. It's just another blog.

cardinalryan

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone has an app problem, period. Anyone who says otherwise is delusional or stupid, or both.

The reason for this problem?... Money. People like money. People like to make it, people like to spend it. People go where the money goes. Currently Android and iOS are where the users (money) are at and developers know this and therefore choose to develop for these platforms as they have the highest likely hood of yielding a return on their investment when their apps are exposed to the most users possible. Windows Phone has nowhere near the users of either of those platforms, so why develop for it? Less users = less downloads = less money. So we have a bit of a catch 22 here then, if developers need users to develop but Windows Phone needs developers to get users then Microsoft is left with a bit of a difficult situation. To which the only real solution is to try to gain users without apps, which is a tough thing to do at this point in the smartphone race. However Microsoft isn't stupid (usually) and it appears they have a plan, and that plan is to make the best software possible, the best hardware possible, and sell it all as cheap as possible in as many places as possible, and guess what... Its working! Windows Phone is steadily gaining marketshare, it may not be happening as fast as we would like but it's definitely happening.

Thing is people are getting bored of iOS and Android, both are great systems no doubt but in the mind of the hungry ADD populous they're beginning to grow stale. iOS hasn't really changed since 2008, which may as well be a millennia ago as far as technology is concerned, and Android while still far more youthful and fresh has allowed itself to be ripped apart by manufacturers until all that's left is cheap dollar store devices running some butchered frankensteined version of its software that's hardly even recognizable and in almost all cases entirely worse. Not to mention the fact that nearly every device seems to be abandoned far before the end of your average contract, leaving the user with an outdated phone and not even the hint of an upgrade in sight. So in other words users are starting to look for alternatives of which there aren't many at the moment, Blackberry is MIA, Symbian is well... Symbian. But wait what's this being advertised over half-time breaks, on the internet, on street corners and billboards. Well its Windows Phone of course, here to save the day with its modern clean design, cutting edge hardware, and most of all its sparkling newnessocity. Customers are turning to Windows Phone, and that means, you guessed it, more users! Which eventually will mean more developers, but not just yet.

We're almost there, Windows Phone is starting to pick up traction like a rocket readying for take-off (that was a **** metaphor but you get the point). It won't be long now until the apps start flooding into the store, and with them will come even more users to share in the glory. Instawhatever, Newitsocialthing, Pong, we shall have it all. At this point all we have to do is wait, and you know what... It's never been more worth it.
This is a freaking brilliant post. Well done.

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
What type of medical app do you need? MPR is an excellent drug reference app that is usable offline, and Medscape has an excellent mobile website that works great in ie10.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Funny how people bring up the stupid 'how many fart apps' example for iOS and Android when the Windows Phone store isn't any better.
Search results for "fart" | Windows Phone (United States)

Yeah, look at it. You get 4 pages with 48 results each, plus 3 more. That gives you 147 results when searching for "Fart." Go search for "Fart" on the Google Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=Fart&c=apps

What do you get? 20 pages with 24 apps per page. That's 480, and that's JUST WHAT IT SHOWS. If you look at the top of the page, it says "At least 1000 results."

So 147 to 1,000+? I'll take 147 fart-related apps if it means not having 1,000+ of them.

Oh, and searching for "Facebook?" That's just an act in silliness. It returns basically any game that can post or link to Facebook, so you see apps and game like Solitaire and TVShow that are not actually related to Facebook whatsoever. Oh, and searching for "Facebook" returns 1,000+ results as well, so keep throwing the "Windows Phone is just as bad" car while it have 10% or less or the redundancy.