Is Lumia920 / WP8 ready for business use?

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Well there must be more very unlucky people around other than me...
http://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=209055
It sometimes pays to keep an open mind and not use sarcasm as a form of defence.
I see people doing exchanges for things that quite possibly are software related very often. The word Placebo comes to mind. Some actual hardware issues exist, I don't deny it. But some software issues also exist and will eventually disappear if the user either identifies the buggy app causing issues, waits for the next OS rev, or learns how background processing works.

Sometimes the problem really does exist between the keyboard and the chair.

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The restore is an absolute shambles from MS in all honesty. When I got my second Lumia (replcaed due to screen defect) I needed to get access to it straight away so set it up in the shopping centre. However I couldn't restore the backup because I didn't want to potentially hammer my data allowance because I hadn't had the option to connect to wi-fi at this point. Even at home I'd have this problem. Certainly needs a rethink from MS, on something I would have though would have been common sense.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm going it the thumbs up absolutely its ready and its awesome. Couple of things I like
1. Simplicity I like large e-mail tiles, the ability to pin different e-mail sub folders and link inboxes.
2. Navigation I like the Nokia Drive offline map feature, City Lens, Transport and Maps for when I travel
3. Camera auto upload to Skydrive. When I'm on the go I need to snap pictures most pictures I take are indoors sometimes in low light which is great with the L920
4. Office I like the ability to pin projects I'm working on and update them on-the-go

Sure there is no VPN support yet or Weekly view but I find the calendar to be just as useful it focuses more on your day than your week you can always scroll down to see what's going on but with all the calendar complaints I'm sure the WP8 guys will address them.

WP8 business use is good I give it a good 4/5 if it had more key apps like Citrix, Logmein, VPN support etc I would totally give it a 5 but for now it gets me through the day, week, month.

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I see people doing exchanges for things that quite possibly are software related very often. The word Placebo comes to mind. Some actual hardware issues exist, I don't deny it. But some software issues also exist and will eventually disappear if the user either identifies the buggy app causing issues, waits for the next OS rev, or learns how background processing works.

Sometimes the problem really does exist between the keyboard and the chair.

That's all well and good and I actually agree, but I really didn't sign up to he a beta tester. I was under the impression this had already been done (a little tongue in cheek) but honestly. I as a business user can't afford to having keep factory resetting my phone especially as the restore function didn't, well. Function. There comes a point where you have to say, this hardware,software combination just isn't at a point the business needs it to be.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
That's all well and good and I actually agree, but I really didn't sign up to he a beta tester. I was under the impression this had already been done (a little tongue in cheek) but honestly. I as a business user can't afford to having keep factory resetting my phone especially as the restore function didn't, well. Function. There comes a point where you have to say, this hardware,software combination just isn't at a point the business needs it to be.
Yep, each individual should indeed make that determination. However, as you can clearly see from the numerous posts here, many people find it to be more than business ready, and many people don't need to factory reset constantly or exchange multiple times. I for one could not see running my business on Android, and I love android - fabulous hacking platform. iOS works if you fit in the app silos, too.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
However, as you can clearly see from the numerous posts here, many people find it to be more than business ready, and many people don't need to factory reset constantly or exchange multiple times.

Yup. Ultimately it depends on the needs of your business. For many businesses, a simple flip-phone is "business ready". If your business needs dictate you need to reset and restore your device multiple times, maybe WP isn't "business ready" for you. My business needs dictate Office/SharePoint compatibility and that I am readily available by phone, email, and SMS; WP8 fits that bill to a "T".

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The problem I have, lets say 10 emails are in my inbox, I look at the first one and reply to it. When I back out of the inbox, the tile doesn't show that i have 9 unread emails, it shows i have 0. This has to be wrong.. surely it should still say I have 9 unread ones.. a business needs this type of input.

Hey, so, just now I noticed this. So I retract my earlier comment. I had two emails, read one, went back to the start screen, the notification disappeared. I guess I never noticed it because I generally read all my email when it comes in (or at least quickly scan it for any immediate follow-up requirement). So yeah, an issue... a minor issue for my part, but an issue nonetheless.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey, so, just now I noticed this. So I retract my earlier comment. I had two emails, read one, went back to the start screen, the notification disappeared. I guess I never noticed it because I generally read all my email when it comes in (or at least quickly scan it for any immediate follow-up requirement). So yeah, an issue... a minor issue for my part, but an issue nonetheless.

This is considered a "feature" and one that I like. On my iPhone, I used to hate remembering if i had 60 or 61 emails the last time I checked. There are plenty of messages (either spam type) or from people I know it is not important that I leave for later. So I leave them unread until I get back to my computer or when I have more time. The reset allows me to see when I need to see what is new.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
YIf your business needs dictate you need to reset and restore your device multiple times, maybe WP isn't "business ready" for you.
And AGAIN I will point out that the VAST MAJORITY of users DO NOT need to reset or restore their devices even once. Like me. A business user.

I'll post this reminder for you every time you make that blanket statement.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And AGAIN I will point out that the VAST MAJORITY of users DO NOT need to reset or restore their devices even once. Like me. A business user.

I'll post this reminder for you every time you make that blanket statement.

Uhm... *blink, blink*... I wasn't making a blanket statement and I agree with you.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is considered a "feature" and one that I like. On my iPhone, I used to hate remembering if i had 60 or 61 emails the last time I checked. There are plenty of messages (either spam type) or from people I know it is not important that I leave for later. So I leave them unread until I get back to my computer or when I have more time. The reset allows me to see when I need to see what is new.

This is a good point. Like I said... or at least insinuated... I hadn't even noticed it worked that way, so it's obviously not a problem for me. :)

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
"Your backup and restore issues are linked to the problems you have had and the fact that you managed to get the 920 working on O2, not an actual design problem with the phone."
Are you 100% sure this is my problem? Why couldn't the software developer think a little out of the box and write a small piece of code that allowed you to restore backups? It's not hard..

LOL, you really are a manager. LOL. :rolleyes:

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
LOL, you really are a manager. LOL. :rolleyes:

Actually I'm not. I started and built a multi million pound international business. I've spent shed loads on installing bespoke software. I do know what it takes to plan and write good code.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Actually I'm not. I started and built a multi million pound international business. I've spent shed loads on installing bespoke software. I do know what it takes to plan and write good code.

But you've never architected or written good code. You rely on your experts to do that. But that's okay. Since you are obviously on the WP8 team and are intimate with it's architecture and code base, you know it's a piece of cake. That's all I'm saying. Unless you're on that team, then you don't know **** on how easy or hard it would be. For all we know, it may have not even have been a requirement.

EDIT: That's all I'm pointing out. I do think some of your grips are valid concerns (to stay on topic). Just your statement about it being "just a few lines of easy code" is stupid.

uktivo

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
But you've never architected or written good code. You rely on your experts to do that. But that's okay. Since you are obviously on the WP8 team and are intimate with it's architecture and code base, you know it's a piece of cake. That's all I'm saying. Unless you're on that team, then you don't know **** on how easy or hard it would be. For all we know, it may have not even have been a requirement.

EDIT: That's all I'm pointing out. I do think some of your grips are valid concerns (to stay on topic). Just your statement about it being "just a few lines of easy code" is stupid.

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound rude, I didn't take any offence. Yes you are correct, I've never wrote any code. But I do know that when any software or hardware engineer says to budget Y for time or money, I budget X.. I never give them an easy time but I also know it's not simple to write such code. I suppose my point was, it would have been good if they did plan this. I do think the set up routine is flawed though, it should look for WiFi before anything else.. what do I know..I'm only a user. Lol..

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi all..

1. Exchange sync doesn't sync correctly. When emails are deleted on the phone they don't sync until you physically press SYNC.. this just isn't acceptable as a business tool, regardless what MS tell us, ALL other platforms sync on deletion of emails which means all accounts are up to date. I've lost count the number of times i've deleted emails on my handset only to find they are still in my inbox when i open outlook. Doubling workload isn't a great way to encourage business to adopt this ecosystem.

If you have your email set to sync every hour. When you hit delete, it won't actually delete it until you force sync it or until the next hour. It does this to save battery life.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077