920 detail camera fix confirmed

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Judging from the samples, it looks like a minor improvement. If this doesn't make a substantial improvement in real life, I'll be selling my 920 to return to my 808 until WP8 is ready for primetime and/or Nokia delivers more than a promising name for its WP camera efforts.
Hold on.. you expect the small sensor and the inferior optics in the 920 to perform like your 808 ?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
People are still gonna demand more fixes. Phones will never be perfect, just so you know. And I hope everyone has the knowledge that firmware updates will not fix the creeks on your phone or the rattling vibration.

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
for me it doesn't have to compete with the 808 but at this point it should compete or surpass the iphone5 or at least the 4s .
You hit the nail on the head. Of course the hardware on the 920 won't be able to compete with the 808 and it would be daft to expect it to. But the reviews of the prototypes only supported Nokia marketing that the phone should easily be the second best camera phone camera on the market and the best one with a modern OS. The production units have all fallen sorely short of that, even my SGSII and SGSIII beat it hands down, which is just sad. Couple that with WP8 still only really being in the early adopter stage (OS bugs and glaring lacks of apps or app performance in relative terms) and the 920 is not such a strong contender. If it had one or the other I would be happy. I would hope the 920 to be on a par or better than the iPhone 5 and better than anything else but the 808 on the camera front. That is, after all, what a lot of us were led to believe we were paying a premium for.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
for me it doesn't have to compete with the 808 but at this point it should compete or surpass the iphone5 or at least the 4s .

Why? Those are 5th/6th gen hardware platforms running 8th gen OSes with 5 year old developer ecosystems. It seems kinda unrealistic to expect parity with those, let alone surpassing them. I think the 920 achieves *near* core functional equivalence which isn't too bad given where it is.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You hit the nail on the head. Of course the hardware on the 920 won't be able to compete with the 808 and it would be daft to expect it to. But the reviews of the prototypes only supported Nokia marketing that the phone should easily be the second best camera phone camera on the market and the best one with a modern OS. The production units have all fallen sorely short of that, even my SGSII and SGSIII beat it hands down, which is just sad. Couple that with WP8 still only really being in the early adopter stage (OS bugs and glaring lacks of apps or app performance in relative terms) and the 920 is not such a strong contender. If it had one or the other I would be happy. I would hope the 920 to be on a par or better than the iPhone 5 and better than anything else but the 808 on the camera front. That is, after all, what a lot of us were led to believe we were paying a premium for.

Huh? Let's not forget the 920 as it is beats every phone cameras out there in low light. Yes, even the 808 if you are hand holding them. You make it sound like the 920 is worthless. It's not. As for daylight performance, the cat shot seems to show a pretty big improvement. Let's see how it stacks up once we get the fix. Frankly, even with the current daylight softness, I would say the 920 is still a better overall camera than iphone and all the rest except the 808. The reason is, daylight photos from the 920 with the bug are still quite usable while low light photos from other cameras are really worthless. There are tons of photos here and on Flickr to prove it.

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I love you Nokia! I love you love you love you love you! :love: If this were any other phone it would have been forgotten by now and all its faults glossed over and ignored, but not a Nokia, no way!

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
People are still gonna demand more fixes. Phones will never be perfect, just so you know. And I hope everyone has the knowledge that firmware updates will not fix the creeks on your phone or the rattling vibration.

Can't they update the firmware to tell the motor to slow down?

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Let's not forget the 920 as it is beats every phone cameras out there in low light. Yes, even the 808 if you are hand holding them.
As it stands now, this is far from true, unfortunately. The only time I've managed to get the 920 to outdo the 808 is in near total darkness. Otherwise, in regular low-light indoor photos the 808 still outdoes the 920 by a wide margin. The 808 oversampling in auto mode makes 5mpix pictures that are surprisingly good with regular indoor light, handheld and without the flash. In this light, the 920 seems to suffer the same issues as in full light so I really hope it improves with this fix.

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Can't they update the firmware to tell the motor to slow down?

Funny that you mention that, when I first got my 920 I downloaded that Vibrator App (not what you think) to test and see if the vibration was whacked like others had mentioned. Anyways one thing I noticed was that with the app you could turn down the frequency and intensity of the vibration, and even though mine doesn't have that rattle sound I still found it to be too loud so by simply tweaking those two settings I discovered that I could make it much much closer to a standard vibration without making it too soft to notice. So I guess if its possible with an app then surely Nokia can either make those tweaks to a software update or perhaps even make an option to tweak it yourself in a later update.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
That is, after all, what a lot of us were led to believe we were paying a premium for.
There are several issues around this.. at least the way I see it.

One is the way Nokia decided to use the brand "PureView".. for some reason they thought it would be a good idea to use the name since it got a lot of praise and coverage from the media as soon as they presented the tech at MWC in Barcelona in February.. after that they got a bunch of imaging awards for it, so there is a lot of positivity associated with the name.

The problem is.. the name "pureview" was based on the technology in the 808, and it makes perfect sense there.. The results they were getting, were noise free pixels, cleaner.. purer.. so therefore "PureView" ..

quote from their own white paper:

VInCE.jpg

So.. yes in that sense you are right, a lot of people were led to believe that the camera will bring amazing detail/performance, based on the original pureview product. I think using the pureview brand name for the 920 was a mistake.. they should have called it something else, and kept the PureView branding for the "real deal", but its their technology, their marketing, they can do whatever they want :)

Now the second part is ... well its us the consumers. I think we should be a little better educated when it comes to purchasing a product that we rely on every day. If you do some research, you would have found out that provided the dimensions of the phone, the sensor, and the lens, would not allow for anything "amazing" when it comes to detail. Again, a big part of that is the fact that the imaging industry has been telling everybody that more megapixels is better, and that is it. No one ever talks about sensor sizes, pixel sizes, etc.

I knew that the 920 won't provide anything even close to the 808 the moment they said that it will be around 10mm thin. Then they said it has a 1/3" sensor, and then I was 100% that the results will be average for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, the OIS works great, and it does let more light in... but the quality remains average. And also, no matter how well they can optimize the jpeg processing, your best bet is "on par" with the iPhone 5 in daylight. There is simply no way to get even close to the 808.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
If the fix makes that much of a difference as seen in the cat picture, it would be more than what i expected. But tbh, most other pictures don't really show, pobably due to poor selection and pic being shrinked

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb