SOLVED: Warranty exchange - new or refurbished? Lumia 920

phiresun

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Warranty exchange - new or refurbished? Lumia 920

I recently had mine exchanged phone cyan 920 locked up 12/2 while on vacation. I drove up to warranty center they could not restore it. They had none in stock of course so said they would overnight me a replacement. Of course I spent the rest of my vacation 5 days without a phone. They only figured out they had none in stock period and was on back order. I returned home without a phone waited another 3 days before they called and said they canceled my order due to stock and also it would have went to Fl. if they shipped it. They in turn told me they still had no Cyan phones in stock but had Black, white phone available now. I chose Black and the sent it overnight. No charge to me also gave me $50 credit on my account and the phone was BRAND NEW in retail packaging.

So for almost 2wks without a phone they at least came through for me in the end. All new stuff in packaging as you would have in a new retail phone.

treble3

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Received mine today uk brown box nokia online replacement and the SIM card tray is butchered and the speaker has problems muffled on all sounds not impressed in the slightest

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, my brown box phone is perfect and to me had to have been new. I know apple has new products in brown boxes around launch time for early or launch exchanges. I believe I received the same... A new phone in a brown box... Granted, this was early in the launch window.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a replacement unit to be delivered today from Nokia in Fort Worth. I think I read somewhere that it is really just ATT. I am assuming it is going to be refurbished...

I hope it is new though. I went directly through Nokia and they sent it UPS overnight.

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Looked today, the yellow showed in stock, so gave them a call. Lady found one she could order in another system and now I'm just praying this one doesn't cancel. Lol. Said it's expected by the 24th.

How did you look at stock of replacement phones?

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
When I got my warranty replacement 920 from Nokia it wasn't even in a box... facepalm.jpg ... it was wrapped in bubble wrap in a postage envelope.

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
My first AT&T warranty replacement came in bubble wrap and had the old OS. It was constantly freezing up on me. They sent me another - this one is brand new - in the sealed retail box with accessories and manuals. OS was up to date and thus far so good. Brightness is better on this one too with the same settings - no fluctuating.
Fyi - You can probably tell if they are sending you a new refurb or a brand new retail one by the weight of the package on the tracking info. 1.0 lbs. was the weight for the bubble wrapped one. 2.0lbs. for the new one in the retail box (same weight as the first one I received at launch).

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My first Lumia 920 got exchanged in store brand new, the next 2 also brand new from Fort worth, and I think they got annoyed with me calling the 4th time so they sent me one in bubble wrap, just the phone itself in a brown box, the thing is it said like 120 days since last charge it said in the battery meter settings, the phone wasn't even out during that time. And it looked in better condition than the new ones I've had. Battery Is crap though with portico so I reversed firmware last night and will see how long it lasts now, maybe I'll need a 5th:( fingers crossed

Malcolm Clement

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I got my warranty replacement 920 from Nokia it wasn't even in a box... was wrapped in bubble wrap in a postage envelope.

Mine came this same exact way. When NOKIA sends a replacement, they are all BRAND NEW per the CSR reps that I talked to. Only cell providers can send a refurbished phone.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Fyi - You can probably tell if they are sending you a new refurb or a brand new retail one by the weight of the package on the tracking info. 1.0 lbs. was the weight for the bubble wrapped one. 2.0lbs. for the new one in the retail box (same weight as the first one I received at launch).

Not sure what I am getting. I delt directly with Nokia and they are sending me a replacement. The shipping weight on UPS shows 0.20 lb. Maybe they left out the bubble wrap on mine.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I got a replacement from Nokia, not ATT, and it only came in bubble wrap with quality control stickers on it. I asked the CSR if the phone was new or refurbished, he said it is brand new, they are not allowed to send refurbished units. It was tested for all of the issues the 920 has been repported to have. My phone is perfect. I have never had to send in my phone first like some folks have reported, always they send me a new one and then I send in my defective unit. This is my 6th 920 but finally have non problematic phone :)

Phone already had the latest version of wp8 on it and I dont have the bugged out auto brightness. Here is a copy of Nokia's response to me asking if the phone was new...

Hi Michael,

Good day!

We have tried to contact you today but was routed to your voicemail.

This is just a follow up email regarding the replacement phone that you received from us. Yes, it is a new handset. We are not allowed to send a refurbished one. Can we ask if you are still having issues with this? Please let us know so we will be able to assist you again.

In addition to this, did you already received a shipping label for you to use in shipping the faulty phone back?

Regards

anon(5503495)

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I got a replacement from Nokia, not ATT, and it only came in bubble wrap with quality control stickers on it. I asked the CSR if the phone was new or refurbished, he said it is brand new, they are not allowed to send refurbished units. It was tested for all of the issues the 920 has been repported to have. My phone is perfect. I have never had to send in my phone first like some folks have reported, always they send me a new one and then I send in my defective unit. This is my 6th 920 but finally have non problematic phone :)

Phone already had the latest version of wp8 on it and I dont have the bugged out auto brightness. Here is a copy of Nokia's response to me asking if the phone was new...

Hi Michael,

Good day!

We have tried to contact you today but was routed to your voicemail.

This is just a follow up email regarding the replacement phone that you received from us. Yes, it is a new handset. We are not allowed to send a refurbished one. Can we ask if you are still having issues with this? Please let us know so we will be able to assist you again.

In addition to this, did you already received a shipping label for you to use in shipping the faulty phone back?

Regards

dude that sounds like a dream, att sent me one but battery sucks, did u contact Nokia directly? And do u think I can still go through them even if I have the phone from att? It will also be my 5th

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE: Received my replacement phone from AT&T Warranty Dept yesterday and it was not in a retail packaging, so it's a reconditioned phone. It's been only a day but so far so good, no freezing issue. So far I am happy.

My 920 (Cyan) has been having frequent freeze issue lately and I am out of the 14-days store exchange period, so I had to work with the warranty department. The first agent I spoke with last week told me that he would order me a brand new phone (instead of a refurbished one), but unfortunately Cyan was out of stock at that time, so he asked me to call again at a later time. Today I called again, Cyan now is in stock, but the agent that I talked to today said she will send me a refurbished phone and not a brand new phone. I told her that the first agent told me that it would be a brand new phone, but she kept insisting that they only have refurbished phone in warranty dept and said the last agent was not telling the truth.:eck:

For those of you who got your 920 replacement phone via warranty, was it a brand new phone or a refurbished phone?

Thanks.

my 1st replacement was on day 21 and it was a brand new cyan lumia in the the box from at&t, you have to bi tch at them a certain way to get them to understand that they are morons and since you just purchased something from them thatw as brand new and is defective you deserve a brand new item in return without affecting your warranty . Replacement #2 was from nokia after emailing Stephen Elop and bit ching to him about how poor is new flag ship phone is made, and today I received my tracking info for replacement #3 from nokia ( new) after bi t ching about how poor their flag ship phone is made and how the latest update decided to turn my long last battery into a piece of garbage when i do anything on the phone besides looking at while its off
= 4 920's since launch. yea!

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
dude that sounds like a dream, att sent me one but battery sucks, did u contact Nokia directly? And do u think I can still go through them even if I have the phone from att? It will also be my 5th
yes I contacted Nokia directly, after the first exchange was thru ATT. You should be good to go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss