Wireless Charger Poor Battery Life in Comparison to Socket Charger

johnzilla

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else having this?

When I charge with the wireless charger, I get maybe a day or so from my battery, yet when I charge with the usb/socket charger, I can get nearly 3 days.

This is how it stands as of now.

wpss201212190001.png

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking my battery life was a little worse with wireless or any charger that isn't the one it came with. It's hard to tell because battery seems so erratic on my phone. Some days it's passable, others it's horrible. I was told today's update will fix all my problems. I still think the whole battery issue is a reporting problem in software. Hopefully Nokia will fix it.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using wireless charger exclusively for about a week now. During that week, I've had 2 times where my battery discharged completely in less than 8 hours with NO use.

Either wireless charger is the issue or the phone is having issues. I didn't have this problem at until up until during the past week (and I bought the phone day 1 U.S. release).

koldmiser

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I can't when I'm at work, which can be 8-12 hours a day. So I only really use it on my breaks and when I finish, or at weekends etc.

Ah. I work 12's too and am also not supposed to have my phone out...but some how it happens. I don't know how though. :wink:

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having this issue to. I just got my wireless charger 2 days ago. Have charged it over night twice and both times i've noticed I've lost 50% charge in a couple hours when previously it would hit 50% till late afternoon. Tonight I will charge with the cable and see if there's a difference tomorrow.

But did anyone find out if it was a fault with the wireless charger or phone?

knudar

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issues. About 48 hrs with normal use after using the socket charger (USB) and from 8-16 hrs after using the Fatboy charging pillow. #Lumia920

alextheangel

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I believe the issue is how the two kind of charger work.
For stock wired one, it will continue to charge the phone until full and continue to 'charge mode for a while , then stop. And will back to charging mode once the battery goes down to A point (around 98%).
But for wireless charger, it basically first slow down right when battery reach X point (around 95%), and will stop very shortly after reach 100%. And won't back to charging mode until lower than the X point.
And X<A, because wireless charger and traditional wired charger have different mechanism to dedicate battery level, so they use different way to protect the battery from being over charged. And for wired charger, for most of recent smartphone with micro usb, the phone can tell the charger to stop. While the wireless , is all just two pins/three pins, so it slow down when the voltage of the two pins from the phone reach certain levels.
And therefore, it is more possible that when you take the phone off wireless charger, when the phone finished its charging mode, but not lower enough to start charging mode again.
Of course , that is just my theory depends on my reading and understanding on inductive charging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon