Portico Update Bug List

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just updated, and I see zero improvement in the camera

AT&T And Rogers are pushing out the Windows 8 Phone update.

Also, back on topic, I've taken a couple pictures and they seem pretty good to me. I just remind myself that I bought a phone and not a camera when I see any flaws in the pictures.

Ya don't say!

What I meant was if he installed the Portico update... Or some other update..

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

i have two 920s so i was able to do a side by side comparison. Try a pic on a very close item(let's say the subject take over half the screen) and you will notice the difference.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

i have two 920s so i was able to do a side by side comparison. Try a pic on a very close item(let's say the subject take over half the screen) and you will notice the difference.

Close up shots look very nice indeed. I thought this was supposed to address daylight photos though. I interpreted "daylight" to mean outdoor shots at non-macro distances.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Close up shots look very nice indeed. I thought this was supposed to address daylight photos though. I interpreted "daylight" to mean outdoor shots at non-macro distances.
normal pics are also better if you have them side by side, but they are not that noticeable compared to close up shots. I gave the example to umm, gave a way for those who cant do side by side to check if there's indeed improvements on the camera..

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

Just took some shots in the backyard at various distances. Definitely notice an improvement in the sharpness. Much more defined lines in the fence slats.

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Very noticeable improvement for me as well, especially on high detail objects like grass or hair. Very impressed that Nokia managed to get this out so quickly; hope to see some new comparisons with other phones, specifically the iPhone 5 now that the software has been updated.

One thing though that seems to still be a problem is the white balance, it constantly fluctuates between various temperatures. It's especially noticeable in video where the image seems to transition between warm and cold almost constantly (for me at least). Hopefully we'll see a fix for that as well here soon, although its not a huge deal for the time being.

joshredraider

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I have to agree. Update finished and the first thing I tested was the camera.

I am still seeing a significant difference between the preview right before the shot is 'processed' and the post processed shot. Considerable softening, but in hand held shots and stationary (tri-pod) shots.

The only real improvement I am seeing is the focus works much better when selecting a different focal point on the touchscreen. That works brilliantly now.

All the other improvements seem to be working properly. Wifi is staying on, performance improvements, too early to comment on battery performance, but all apps seem to be opening faster.

Maybe Nokia will push another update by itself for those whose algorithms did not take the adjustments?!!! Hopefully?!!! Please???!!!!!!

joshredraider

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

Well, something interesting just happened. I let my phone 'go to sleep' for a few minute, and then when I 'woke it up' I immediatly noticed the Wifi was not connected. Swiped the lock screen up, and watched as the Wifi symbol popped up greyed out, then reconnected to the network.

I thought the update was supposed to keep it connected.

Am I wrong?

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If this is true than this is really disappointing. My wife's iPhone 4s is already sharper than my 920. I can't believe Nokia settled for such a negative in the camera. As you are looking through the view finder the the image is perfect but once you snap that picture it softens. There's already so many things wrong or negative about the l920 /win 8 the camera in the flagship phone was supposed to be a major selling point and competitor to the god phone but its not. Well in day light its not. win 8/ 920 launch and production has been nothing less that pathetic.

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Post Update - Brightness pulsates

Anyone else noticing their auto-brightness pulsing from low to high? I just did the update and something is really weird. Going to restart the phone again but I doubt thats going to solve it.

ryuh3d

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

Well, something interesting just happened. I let my phone 'go to sleep' for a few minute, and then when I 'woke it up' I immediatly noticed the Wifi was not connected. Swiped the lock screen up, and watched as the Wifi symbol popped up greyed out, then reconnected to the network.

I thought the update was supposed to keep it connected.

Am I wrong?

It was fixed. Go to Settings, Wifi, then advanced. Then tell it to keep Wifi Connected. Not everyone wants Wifi always on. Uses more battery.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I have to agree. Update finished and the first thing I tested was the camera.

I am still seeing a significant difference between the preview right before the shot is 'processed' and the post processed shot. Considerable softening, but in hand held shots and stationary (tri-pod) shots.

The only real improvement I am seeing is the focus works much better when selecting a different focal point on the touchscreen. That works brilliantly now.

All the other improvements seem to be working properly. Wifi is staying on, performance improvements, too early to comment on battery performance, but all apps seem to be opening faster.

Maybe Nokia will push another update by itself for those whose algorithms did not take the adjustments?!!! Hopefully?!!! Please???!!!!!!

Weird but make sure you view the pictures on a pc after you take them. I still noticed that but viewing the pic on the pc shows the same pic as the preview shot and not the quick blurry one.

jd195

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site

Just tried an outdoor (overcast) shot before and after the update of the same scene as best I could. After the update, the picture seems to be a bit brighter and I think a little bit sharper as a result, so there's definitely some change to the picture processing.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

As you are looking through the view finder the the image is perfect but once you snap that picture it softens.

Like I wrote above, I don't think you should compare those two images. I believe the first image that you think is sharper is due to downsampling algorithm. It's not a bug.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I noticed viewing the picture on the actual pc is much better then what shows on the phone after the picture is taken.

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

love the front camera and the new color balacing now. Those two are also very noticeable. But as others stated, let's hope it gets even better

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site

So they released a big update to fix the camera and failed? Nice!

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

My FFC is littered with dust unfortunately...I don't think i will ever bother with it.

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

I see difference...I took about 250 pictures before and definitely noticed the softness with the outside pictures. I've only taken a few outside so far but already notice that annoying softness is gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo