Portico Update Bug List

mdecker79

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Post Update - Brightness pulsates

Mine only happens every now and then and I only noticed it about 3 or 4 times within the last few hours since the update.

I have been on my phone a good amount the whole time so it's not very consistent for me.

I only thought about it after the OP pointed it out and I realized it did in fact happen but it's hard for me to reproduce it.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Just updated, and I see zero improvement in the camera

Guys me and my friend had a big discussion about this issue on another phone (SE J20 Hazel feature phone) because when I looked at the scene through the camera, everything was sharp. The moment I took the picture and it was saved, the 100% size picture looked soft on the phone's display. I thought the JPEG compression algorithm screwed it up and compressed it too much when saving the picture. We talked a lot and my friend made a good point:

When you zoom in on the picture, the details are there. When you look at the whole picture, it's blurred. Why? If the picture actually has good details, why would it get blurred at full screen (on the phone)? Then we settled that the algorithm for actually showing the picture on the display was different than when the camera was engaged and sent its input directly to the display.

To summarize, your pictures are actually sharp. You can see the sharpness on a PC monitor or your TV, but it is the phone's display that softens the picture when showing it.
Try it. Take a photo, then zoom in to see if the details not visible at 100% are actually there. Then look at the picture on your laptop to get reassured ;)

Then Microsoft should fix the algorithm that shows a worse image on the screen then the actual photo taken.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
For Christmas please get yourself a new monitor. I mean wow. You are either just lying for whatever reason (maybe you find it fun on the internet) or you need a new display.
I honestly didn't see any great improvement in the detail of the images. It'd most likely just a hardware issue and Nokia tried to compensate by raising the sharpness which if it is raise to high will degrade image quality. Close up pictures come out pretty good but still lack that crispness that the godphone produces. Its a shame really that Nokia is so close but between wp8 lacking in many areas and the phone itself lacking in areas they will always be far behind. I have a L920 (I'm on my 3rd) I have a right to criticize . I don't sugar coat or hold hands.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm a picky SLR user and I'm happy with the camera update. The differences are clear as can be.

The image file sizes are also larger now.

Could the op have a dirty lense?

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I honestly didn't see any great improvement in the detail of the images. It'd most likely just a hardware issue and Nokia tried to compensate by raising the sharpness which if it is raise to high will degrade image quality. Close up pictures come out pretty good but still lack that crispness that the godphone produces. Its a shame really that Nokia is so close but between wp8 lacking in many areas and the phone itself lacking in areas they will always be far behind. I have a L920 (I'm on my 3rd) I have a right to criticize . I don't sugar coat or hold hands.
It wasn't a hardware issue. Everyone was seeing clear images in the live preview that looked like they suddenly were covered in Vaseline after capture. That was post processing of the jpeg which is all software.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site

The extra Nokia settings are under Display+touch in settings. Wouldn't hurt to try disabling them.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Also I wanted to point out I didn't get the update so I can't say for sure how good it is. I was just commenting on the op and what I've read by others on the forum. But I use my camera on my phone everyday for work and need clarity/sharpness. The l920 does the job but when compared to the god phone or other flagships the images were off.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

I'm a picky SLR user and I'm happy with the camera update. The differences are clear as can be.

The image file sizes are also larger now.

Could the op have a dirty lense?
Nope, lense is perfectly clean. I'm looking at full-size shots uploaded to Skydrive via wifi. Post update, images may be slightly sharper than pre update. That said, I don't see how anyone could say there is a world of difference. I don't want to start the whole camera pissing contest rife with comments about getting a DSLR. For me, sharpness is very important. The camera has other incredible qualities for sure, but I just don't see how anyone can say it's sharp enough compared to other high-end smartphones. I wish it were sharper--I'd happily give up some of the low light performance for that.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Re: Are we certain that the camera improvements are in today's build

The article indicates that the camera improvements are in firmware version PR1.1

How can we check that today's update includes that change?
Well, because I told you it has it on the front page ;)

Seriously, I'm in direct contact with Nokia and everything we posted about the camera fix in the last 24 hours is accurate and in this update.

cruzcat

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

I just took a variety of shots inside and out. The camera is still very soft. I see no improvement to speak of. My Inspire 4G is still much, much sharper. Bummer...

The pics from the new firmware definitely seem sharper compared to the original PR1.0. Dont know how it compares with Iphone5/Galaxy S3 but IMO pics look pretty good for a phone camera.
The low light pics were already quite good and the upgrade seems to have increased the sharpness for daytime pics as well. Took a couple indoors after the upgrade. WP_20121219_020.jpg
WP_20121219_045.jpg
WP_20121219_047.jpg

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site

This is just dead wrong. My camera is worlds better after the update. I cannot stand when people blame companies for user error.

Usually when one puts a question mark at the end of a sentence it indicates a question is being asked, not that a statement is being made. Clearly there are some here that are saying they see no difference, hence why I asked a question.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Also I wanted to point out I didn't get the update so I can't say for sure how good it is. I was just commenting on the op and what I've read by others on the forum. But I use my camera on my phone everyday for work and need clarity/sharpness. The l920 does the job but when compared to the god phone or other flagships the images were off.

For the sensor size and lens I'd say it's about as good as it can get. To compare, the 808 is essentially a "real" P&S camera with a phone attached to it.

There is a reason an SLR lens alone typically costs more than this phone does :).

I'm just happy now that the firmware isn't destroying original sensor detail anymore.

To me they feel about on par with an iPhone 5 now.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

A lot of ignorant posts here. Perception of additional sharpness in the viewfinder is due to the lack of image scaling. They use the nearest-sample algorithm in order to update the display fast in real time. That results in artificially sharper edges in the image displayed. For the final rendering, they apply the real scaling algorithm which cuts down on those sharp edges and what's why you perceive somewhat less sharpness. It has nothing to do with the actual sharpness of the image saved.

sjhippie

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

The extra Nokia settings are under Display+touch in settings. Wouldn't hurt to try disabling them.

Interesting, I updated the Display+Touch and disabled both the new settings and it did seem to work. It still changes but its not as noticeable. I'll try it in some more situations and see what settings are the culprit but it looks like its the sun/battery saver settings.

Zolotoy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

I have sensitivity set to off - normal, and two other settings are on. Still cannot replicate the problem.

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I think I gave a similar explanation at the end of page 2 of this thread but people blew past it!

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

Mine is doing it too. I imagine they will fix it soon enough. Going into the update I would say the auto brightness has worked better than any other phone ever. My iPhone 4 auto brightness didn't do a damn thing. My Galaxy Nexus would wait like 10 seconds to adjust and then it would stutter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb