Portico Update Bug List

Andyshine77

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I am in the UK and took out a Lumia 920 on EE. The sim didn't work so I returned the phone as I wasn't happy with the EE contract I was sold being no good, and was disappointed about the lack of clarity on photos (compared to my husbands Note 2). I mainly photograph/take videos my children and the lack of clarity after the hype was disappointing. I did get to try the phone and loved the camcorder ability, and the new funky layout. I've since found this forum and realised that the picture blur was a real issue and it wasn't me just expecting too much from the hyped camera phone! What I wondered though, why wasn't this picked up during any of the online reviews?? I don't want to commit to a 2 year contract for a bug filled phone though and the more I read the more hesitant I feel (however I need a new phone urgently!) Anyone in the UK that can reassure me to take my chances, or are you all waiting on the update to make up your own mind? Anyone have the UK date for the update or know when the UK phones will have it preinstalled? Thanks

andrew-in-woking

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Camera Chick

I have the Nokia Lumia 920 on EE and have updated it to Portico. I don't know if it was the update or not but the photos I take of my 23 month old son seem perfectly sharp. Not all of them are, but if he's doing something funny and I want to take a photo, I will get a sharp one if I take a few.

God bless

Andrew

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I am in the UK and took out a Lumia 920 on EE. The sim didn't work so I returned the phone as I wasn't happy with the EE contract I was sold being no good, and was disappointed about the lack of clarity on photos (compared to my husbands Note 2). I mainly photograph/take videos my children and the lack of clarity after the hype was disappointing. I did get to try the phone and loved the camcorder ability, and the new funky layout. I've since found this forum and realised that the picture blur was a real issue and it wasn't me just expecting too much from the hyped camera phone! What I wondered though, why wasn't this picked up during any of the online reviews?? I don't want to commit to a 2 year contract for a bug filled phone though and the more I read the more hesitant I feel (however I need a new phone urgently!) Anyone in the UK that can reassure me to take my chances, or are you all waiting on the update to make up your own mind? Anyone have the UK date for the update or know when the UK phones will have it preinstalled? Thanks

It shouldn't be noticeably blurry even without the SW update unless you pixel peep at 100% crop. Are you pressing down on the camera button in one motion? If you do, you will get soft pictures. Make sure autofocus is done by half-pressing it first or using the screen tap method. Also did you remove the protective sticker off the lens? I assume you did because you are getting good video.

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi Camera Chick

I have the Nokia Lumia 920 on EE and have updated it to Portico. I don't know if it was the update or not but the photos I take of my 23 month old son seem perfectly sharp. Not all of them are, but if he's doing something funny and I want to take a photo, I will get a sharp one if I take a few.

God bless

Andrew

Hi Andrew. Thanks for your reply. Is the update available in the UK or did you 'do it yourself'? I don't want to go down that route as it looks very complicated and with the issues the phone has I don't want to invalidate my warranty? My littlest is 19 months and even without the update the phone was catching more shots without moving 'ghostly hands' than my husbands Note2 - however the clarity of the shots from the Note2 are like pictures I take on my cameras. That's kind of what I hoped for with the Lumia, still I am hopeful that the update will sharpen pics to catch the glint of mischief in my little boys eyes!!

TK2011 - Thanks for your reply too. The photos aren't blurry (although I did refer to 'picture blur') just softer than I'd hoped for - for a phone they are good. Just side by side with the a picture taken at the same time on the Note 2 you can see the lack the sharpness, this disappointed me after reading all the reviews. I was shocked by the clarity in the pictures I took on my husbands Note 2 - they come out the way the Lumia pics look as if they will just before the shutter softens the result. I did take a few hundred pics and did the camera tap method most of the time. I assumed I must be doing something wrong til I came across this forum and saw that lack of clarity was due to get sorted with the update. I need a phone just now and am trying to work out of I take my chances with the Lumia (for the great camcorder) and hope the camera reaches its potential. I like the phone and went down that route as opposed to the Galaxy 3 for the camera and I am now willing it to be 'the one'!! As I said the camcorder is great, I just want my pics to be too.

Cheers

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Camerachick, the portico update will most definitely improve the camera. I too, was a little disappointed at first, but since the update, I've been completely "wow'd" by the shots I've been able to get.

Camera Chick

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Camerachick, the portico update will most definitely improve the camera. I too, was a little disappointed at first, but since the update, I've been completely "wow'd" by the shots I've been able to get.

That's great to know Ed. I don't want to come across as if I expect too much from the camera, maybe I do, but I am reassured that after the update it will live up to my needs. Clear focused pics on the go along with the great wee camcorder .

Anyone know when the update hits the UK?

Evan_ISS

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That's great to know Ed. I don't want to come across as if I expect too much from the camera, maybe I do, but I am reassured that after the update it will live up to my needs. Clear focused pics on the go along with the great wee camcorder .

Anyone know when the update hits the UK?

There is no clear roadmap for the release of Portico to EE variants (or any carrier outside US/Canada for that matter from what I understand). Online (forums mainly) February is bandied around as a possible release for international phones but it has not been confirmed by MS or any carrier.

The EE Portico was one of the last to hit the Nokia servers and I updated mine a couple of weeks ago (manually).

I took a series of pictures in a site where we are doing a wireless installation, the build is semi-complete and the lighting internally is low.

This phone is in another league in low light environments, the external pics though seemed to me sharper than before the update.

Similarly, when I take pictures of my children at home they are mostly low light internally and they are excellent. External photos are better than before but not as sharp as the godphone, e.g. in the garden.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Freeze during charging still happens ....:cry:

EDIT:
... and random reboots ... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Battery drain on idle used to be 1-1.5%. Now it is 4% !

Last edited:

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I have seen:
Black Screen during call - fixed
Pulsating screen on auto brightness - fixed
(both of the above seems somehow connected, I just toggled a lot of auto and high brightness setting, tried the ffc camera etc. Suddenly it works)
Bad battery life - better now. I disabled WiFi stay on, Facebook chat, Xbox, high brightness (sunlight setting), high sensitivity, NFC, BT.

So, after a bumpy start all is good and the camera has improved a lot.

Yet to experience Bluetooth since I did the update Friday afternoon, and I only use Bluetooth at work (BT speaker)

I updated via NCS with the actual product code since they do not expect the update to roll out until february/march. So it was a clean install and I did not restore from SkyDrive backup.

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Freeze during charging still happens ....:cry:

Same here, someone make it stop. Please.

I turned off "background tasks" on all apps able to do it. Then turned off BT, before charging and in the morning phone woke up fine. Next day I turned on 4 apps to allow "background tasks" but left BT off when charging. Again phone worked and work up as it should in the morning. I suspect its BT, but it could still be one or more of the apps with "background tasks" set to on. I will keep my trial going.

Last edited:

YouMeanNo

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Just started a new thread but thought best to add here...

First, and most importantly, my Lumia 920 can't seem to decided on the signal strength or even is there is any signal present. I thought this might be an issue with the keep wifi on feature but the problem persists after disabling it and a soft reset. When I unlock my phone sometimes it will display the greyed out bars with the "no" symbol (circle with a line through it), sometimes a G, 3G, 3G+ or H+ and often will cycle or jump about as it is being displayed in the exact same location.

EDIT: It appears the bug is to do with network scanning and now if the highest connection speed (settings>mobile network) is set to 4G, which isn't available with Orange, the phone can't settle on a lesser speed and constantly scans/switches. Switching the highest speed to 3G seems to have fixed the problem, I am also now seeing 3G+ which I didn't before.

Secondly, the proximity sensor no longer wakes the display when I take the phone away from my ear during a call - very annoying when dealing with voicemail.

On EE in the UK.

Last edited:

hamphlet

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Got my Lumia 920 updated yesterday on UK EE & immediately noticed a big improvement in the signal at home. Now seeing up to 3G+ where in the past I had been lucky to get H. At work though it's a very different kettle of fish. There the signal was always poor too, but whilst I have again seen a slight improvement I have found that the phone completely loses signal & doesn't get it back. This required a few restarts yesterday. Last night as I was leaving I noticed it was showing 'No Service' again. I drove the three miles home & this did not change at any point on the way. I had to restart the phone to get it working again. I had a look this morning & noticed that the phone was set to 4G for highest connection speed. I don't have a 4G sim so I've changed it to 3G. Can't see this making much difference, but you never know. If not I'll have to head back to the Orange shop.

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it's a bug or not, but when typing in a phone number to make a phone call to a new number, the dialler tone is linked to the volume I have set for tones etc. Is this a feature of Windows Phone 8? Is there any way to have just this set lower rather than turning the volume down? Can be a tad embarrassing when dialling a number out and about and all you hear is a loud input tone! :)

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if it's a bug or not, but when typing in a phone number to make a phone call to a new number, the dialler tone is linked to the volume I have set for tones etc. Is this a feature of Windows Phone 8? Is there any way to have just this set lower rather than turning the volume down? Can be a tad embarrassing when dialling a number out and about and all you hear is a loud input tone! :)

this appears to be a Windows Phone thing, only one universal volume for all! it's something i really dislike and i hope they fix in the future. who knows though, it was in WP7 and it's still here so perhaps it's here to stay? you can always vote for this 'feature' to be added on the microsoft improvement site.

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Yeah, they should have the keypad dialler tone set separately from everything else. I'll vote for that, thanks! Do you have a link to the website? I'll google it now anyway just in case :)

raymondromero

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3