Updated and Battery is Worse!

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
So far those three email accounts all checking for updates every 15 minutes seems to be the culprit. Ironically, I've read that you kill the battery faster by having your emails check every 15 minutes than say, having them pushed as they come in. If your emails don't have push notifications then set them for 2 hrs or even manually.

I have 3 accounts all set to check every 15 minutes and don't drain battery abnormally at all. I get plenty of email all day as well.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It depends on the service on the backend.. If the mail provider supports EAS (Exchange Active Sync) then the answer is you will get the best efficiency using "As items arrive". If they dont support EAS it you may be better served using every 30 min or hour. Just another great reason to use outlook.com ;-)

EAS is a pretty impressive solution.. in fact I would say MS did "innovate" when they engineered the push technology over HTTPS.... :) They get little credit for this..

Lakes21

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
So after reading this forum i decided to do a soft reset, just for the **** of it, I was already getting good battery use out of my L920. So prior to the soft reset the battery info was 45% time since last charge 20 hours, thats with internet, phone calls, texts, music, control radio, etc usage which to me is pretty good. Anyway the results after the reset my battery dropped to 28%, anyway Im not complaining, I absolutely love this phone just thought I'd share my experiment with you guys.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd cyan model and this is the one Nokia sent me. My battery life was pretty good with this one but after updating yesterday and making sure EVERYTHING was off I can say that the update is killing my battery. My phone was dead by 1130 today. Under light to moderate use. On Wednesday my phone lasted until 8pm under heavy abuse . This was before the update. I swear switching to wp8 and Nokia was the worse thing I've done all year.

PhilS_UK

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
So....my email both Hotmail & Gmail (with EAS setup) should both be set to 'As Items Arrive' rather than manual or set frequency for better battery life???

How does that work? :amaze:

UnfixedPyle

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you look on Nokia's site for the changes in this update, they meniton that they changed how the battery meter works. I went ahead and drained my batter last night before I went to bed, charged it up over night and it seems much more accurate today and is doing really well battery life wise. The only anomoly I have seen is that I reset the phone after i uninstalled battery status (it stopped working for some reason after the update) and it lost 5% in the reset

damon312

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think I may have to many high expectations with this latest update pushed 12/18. I was hoping to see some major/noticeable battery performance with my Lumia 920. I will admit I am not the most smartphone saavy user however I do only have two apps running in the background
CNN
Weather APP
All others APPS are turned off for background tasks. That said, I do use my phone for web browsing and light video viewing. Place a few phone calls, send a few texts and check email. The battery still seems to remain the same performance wise. I have been monitoring these threads and am grateful for the amount of insight I find regarding tips on preserving the battery etc.

I won't go as far as stating my battery performance got progressively worse but I will say I think the battery performance did not change much drastically after the update/soft reboot etc so I will remain hopefull that it will get better.

This is my first LTE device with AT&T, had an iPhone 4 prior to my Lumia 920 so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison to state the iphone 4 battery performance was better than my Lumia 920 since one was a 3G device only. Not sure it can all be attributed to HSPA vs. HSPA+/LTE but it would be nice to have a somewhat better battery life. I still am happy with my choice to purchase the Lumia 920 and can honestly say I don't miss having an iPhone nor regret my decision to not go with Android.

KQ17

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I updated the phone yesterday and charged it completely. And since then, with decent usage, push mail for my Outlook, Hotmail and Gmail, push for Facebook and other stuff updating, I'm at 43% after 18 hours since last time it was charged. The update has improved battery A LOT.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If your mail service supports EAS then you "CAN" set it to check longer than 15 minutes and it should reduce battery consumption.. With EAS the https connection is idle unless new mail arrives .. the connection itself will reset after 15 minutes (might be longer now havent read the spec in a while .. Exchange 2003).

EAS was developed to compete with Blackberry.. which has PUSH email, not PULL (aka check every xx minutes) .. which EAS does with great efficiency and is as effective as BES from Blackberry. So.. point being if your services use EAS you can set a longer check but the battery gain will be relatively small.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
As an addendum to this post.....

My battery live is SIGNIFICANTLY better after the update... although the only app I leave set to run in backgroud is weather (Nokia version). Three email accounts Hotmail/Outlook.com(as items arrive) , Yahoo (non EAS set to every hour) and Business Exchange 2010(as items arrive).

Before Portico with location service turned off (that thing was rough on battery) I would get about 18 hours on a charge with moderate use(mainly email, facebook, twitter).

AFTER the update I'm getting a ridiculous amount of battery.. with location services turned on.. obviously they fixed that. Right now i'm at 85% with 6 hours since last charge and it shows 22 hours remaining.

Last edited:

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This has got to be a faulty phone. I don't think any amount of fixing or tweaking is going to change that. Take it back and get a non f'ed one
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Agreed. There is no way that is normal. Maybe one of those apps he is allowing to run in the background is running wild...but I don't know.

This is nowhere near normal.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Update- 73% browsed ebay/amazon/twitterfor 30 minutes on and off and now my battery is at 59%. Is that normal. Everything is off, no background apps and its hot above the camera like it was on my first 2 models that had battery issues. I had this 3rd phone for a week and the only time it go hot was when I would wirelessly charge it

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Assuming your phone is configured as you have said, then sounds like a bad phone. If you are in the mood for more experimenting, hard reset your phone, then update (assuming the hard reset eliminates the latest upgrades). If the hardware is bad, then out of the box you should see the same results. If not, then sneak back up on things to where you have it currently configured with apps, settings, etc. You just shouldn't have to optimize the **** out of things. I have a fair amount of apps but turn things on and off as needed and use hardly any of the battery. Just recently the phone lasted through a 5 hour plane ride and 3 hours of Nokia Drive navigation (flawless I might add).

Adlai91

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Earlier today, I woke up from an overnight charge and played a couple games of wordament and browsed baconit for 10 minutes and my battery is at 79%. In 1 hour time, it drained 21% already from a 9 hour charge?!? I did a soft reset and it bumped down to 74% in 5 minutes. After 6 hours of little use (texting only), it is staying around 72%...I think the soft reset is a MUST after update. Its like restarting a computer, restarting always fixes stuff. However, I am still hesitant to say that it worked. To make sure, I will drain the battery full on this charge, and then wait for it to shut itself off and then charge it to full...maybe that will help my battery life.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been through 3 phones in 1 month and a crap load of hard resets. This is frustrating and tiring. It was working ok before the update. I know this issue was caused due to the software patch but at this point I'm just thinking about selling it or trying to get att to get me an android.im not saying android is better just saying I had an iPhone and don't want one and never had an androidso why not try it out and at this point what are my other option wait for another patch or deal with it.

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
I've been through 3 phones in 1 month and a crap load of hard resets. This is frustrating and tiring. It was working ok before the update. I know this issue was caused due to the software patch but at this point I'm just thinking about selling it or trying to get att to get me an android.im not saying android is better just saying I had an iPhone and don't want one and never had an androidso why not try it out and at this point what are my other option wait for another patch or deal with it.

Ya, you sure seem to be having a hard time. Amazing how varied experiences can be with what should be a pretty standard piece of hardwary. Some folks look at their phone wrong and scratches appear, while others like myself mistreat their phones (keeping my phone face down on my towel that has sand on it, or chunking it in my center console with other hard objects qualifies as mistreating) and not a scratch. Some have battery usage issues that won't go away. Others have none. Others, like myself, had a couple that were "cured" in some way (in my case, it seemed to be an app). I don't know... just doesn't makes sense that your luck could be that bad. I'll recommend to you what I did the other person. Do a systematic recovery. Hard reset, then reinstall update (if you need to after a hard reset). See how the phone does for a day after minimal configuration (maybe just an email account and your contacts). If it is performing well, then add a couple apps and see how it goes, finally working yourself up to a fully configured phone. It "shouldn't" be this hard... got it.

ibuyufo

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
My battery seemed great before the update. After update power seems to go down drastically. Not sure what's going on. I've done a soft reset as well and it did not helped.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
There is a battery thread for literally every phone I have ever owned. I read all of the battery horror stories about the Lumia 920 before I got mine. If I had put stock in any of them, i would never have purchased the phone.

I have owned dozens of smartphones over the last few years and I have almost never had battery issues with any of them. Yet, I'll go into a forum and read a thread dedicated to battery issues and all kinds of people reporting how bad it is. I couldn't kill the battery on my Lumia 920 before the update. It would last almost as long as my Galaxy Note II with the same use. That's impressive to me.

I think it all boils down to individual usage and maybe some faulty units. I'm not saying some of you guys aren't having battery issues, I just think your usage is different than mine and in some cases, your expectations may not be completely realistic. The more you use a phone with a 4.5" screen and the more that screen is on, the faster it will drain the battery. Science.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb