Updated and Battery is Worse!

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My battery seems to have worsened as well but not sure. With very light use, I would get a 1% drop an hour. Now it seems to be more. Will keep experimenting

alphaz18

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm still trying to diagnose but i'm having this issue too...
before the update after the wireless charger I get maybe 1-2% drain per hr if I don't touch the phone
now it goes down at least 1% per 4-5 min. with idle no use.
if I start using it like I make one 15 min call and battery goes down like 10-15%...
its crazy.
I tried soft resets I uninstalled nearly every app except a few nokia apps.
disabled wifi nfc etcetc..
I don't know what to do next, maybe a hard reset... ?
bleh.. I REALLY wish there was a god damn process/task manager so that I can at least see whats sucking up cycles...
but no Microsoft doesn't allow apps that can access the system. like wtf. we need a jailbreak so that we can have those kinds of apps

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
My battery seems to have worsened as well but not sure. With very light use, I would get a 1% drop an hour. Now it seems to be more. Will keep experimenting

Try not configuring any emails if possible on the phone and try for sometime if it actually increases your battery life, couple of times on my original Focus due to email syncing issues my battery would die in less than 3 hours just because it kept on syncing and it failed. I guess gmail might be the culprit here. Also avoid checking the mails often, actually setting the email as push greatly improves the battery rather than scheduling the email check process in a timely manner.

Also kill any unnecessary background tasks if possible.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm still trying to diagnose but i'm having this issue too...
before the update after the wireless charger I get maybe 1-2% drain per hr if I don't touch the phone
now it goes down at least 1% per 4-5 min. with idle no use.
if I start using it like I make one 15 min call and battery goes down like 10-15%...
its crazy.
I tried soft resets I uninstalled nearly every app except a few nokia apps.
disabled wifi nfc etcetc..
I don't know what to do next, maybe a hard reset... ?
bleh.. I REALLY wish there was a god damn process/task manager so that I can at least see whats sucking up cycles...
but no Microsoft doesn't allow apps that can access the system. like wtf. we need a jailbreak so that we can have those kinds of apps

Disable unnecessary background tasks and enable push email and not schedule it in short spans.

alphaz18

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Disable unnecessary background tasks and enable push email and not schedule it in short spans.

I'm not sure but I let it completely drain then fully charge with wireless charger again,
now it seems to be holding at 100% when idle even after 20 min.. I guess the first charge is... messed up after the update.. for whatever reason?

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
My phone also has taken a turn for the worse with battery life after the update. To all the people saying its a faulty phone, go get a new one is absurd. My phone never got below 25% at the end of the night using my phone all day every day. The update is the culprit not the phone. My phone has been hot all day until it died about 6 hours later. It was hot even sitting in my pocket not being used. I'm tired of exchanging phones, I'm tired of having to reflash my own phone because it bricked after a reset. Looks like I get to do it all over again. The 8X is looking better day by day.

pennzoilgtr

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
i thought my battery drain after the update. indeed it does drain faster over night as compared to before the update. and to my suprise when i check into my email settings, both hotmail and gmail are set to a frequency of 30 mins by default! i remembered that i got it set to "as item arrive" before and the battery was great.

xenoglyph

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been pretty lucky with my 920....I haven't had ANY of the problems other people have had....no freezes, reboots, proximity sensor issues or anything. It's been pretty stellar actually. However, I definitely have much more battery drain than usual at idle. Just lost 50% last night, normally I'd expect 10% drain.

Trying soft-reset + airplane mode trick right now to see if it's just a calibration issue.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Meh - went from draining 4% over 7 hours of inactivity overnight to draining 6% over the same time.

No big deal. I think some are being a bit overdramatic in here.

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine's been really weird on battery life, but is great right now. I got it in the first week they came out and the first cycle was poor, as I expected with setting up accounts, etc, etc. It was great for the next few days - 2 day plus battery life. Then it went into fast-drain mode, where it wouldn't stay charged through lunchtime. I let it completely drain a couple of times, removed some unused apps, and removed Drive - not sure if that was a problem or not. Since then, I get 2 days plus with light usage, just phone, texting, a few visits to the Net, over a day even with fairly heavy Net usage. I have it set to auto brightness, email hourly updates on two accts.

jahirsino1

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you set your instant messaging status to offline (swipe left in the in the messaging app to see if you are logged in messenger/live) . I was logged in without even knowing. My battery life has been great after the update

cbrunn2

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My phone also has taken a turn for the worse with battery life after the update. To all the people saying its a faulty phone, go get a new one is absurd. My phone never got below 25% at the end of the night using my phone all day every day. The update is the culprit not the phone. My phone has been hot all day until it died about 6 hours later. It was hot even sitting in my pocket not being used. I'm tired of exchanging phones, I'm tired of having to reflash my own phone because it bricked after a reset. Looks like I get to do it all over again. The 8X is looking better day by day.

This is exactly how mine is ... I had no problems at all with battery life until this update ... and now my phone gets hot through out the day for nothing ... only time it used to get hot was playing games...

in just 1 hour it already has drained to 87% with like 15 minutes of phone calls... before the update I would have 95%+ left

I just turned off the keep WIFI on to see if that was the culprit

oh yeah and I let the battery drain completely out and let it charge for like 8 hours straight with no use ... looks like i'll have to try that again with 12 hours of charge time with no use

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Meh - went from draining 4% over 7 hours of inactivity overnight to draining 6% over the same time.

No big deal. I think some are being a bit overdramatic in here.

Just took my phone off the charger an hour ago and I'm down to 81% after browsing the wpcentral app and marketplace for 30 minutes. My phone is very hot to touch. I'm gonna flash back to Apollo with NaviFirm and live with the ****ty audio distortion. At least then I won't have to cripple my phone by disabling everything I own a smart phone for.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The update cannot be killing your battery if everyone who got the update isn't having the problem. My battery life hasn't changed.

There must be another factor.

Has anyone tried removing email accounts? When the previous gen phones were having battery life issues, it was often the result of a problem with yahoo mail. Something I've noticed this time around, is that while I don't have the issue, I don't have my gmail on the phone either... and people complaining appear to use gmail.

Just something to look at. It can't be the update alone if many of us are doing fine post update.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05