February update for RM-821 - WTF?! - Nokia, get your act together

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
So I got the Nokia PureVIew 920 as a combined birthday/Xmas gift for myself in the hopes of having a cool new OS to play with and being able to enjoy taking indoor photos in low light over the Christmas holidays.

As we all know, the phone as it was released was in no way good enough at taking pictures to warrant the PureView name. "An update will be coming this month" said various Nokia reps, the first of whom I believe was in France. Then it went quiet. Suddenly a few days ago, rumors abound that the update is indeed around the corner. Initial sample photos showed a slight improvement, but once the update for the US version went up on Navifirm various sites made their own samples, including WP Central - and the pics looked fantastic, at least compared to how it was before. The update would be pushed out starting 19 December and stretching to 7 January. In short order, reports of the release of the fix going out OTA hit the Internet. Then came the news ....

The international version of the 920 won't get the update until February 2013. WAIT, WHAT?!!!
Why on earth did I pay 50% more for an international, unlocked, carrier-free phone when I'm relegated to not just waiting a few days or weeks for an update, but more than two months?! The logic evades me. Nokia is completely and utterly alienating their broader customer base. We will not only be missing taking Pureview quality pics over the Christmas holidays, but the whole start of 2013!

I for one, won't be sticking around, unfortunately, to see if I really like the phone as it was meant to be. Every day that I own and use the phone is more wear-and-tear that will lower its second-hand value and every day I have it is another day that an accident could happen with it which could ruin its value altogether. Why on earth would I then pay the equivalent of $875 for the international version (the only difference of which is the LTE bands offered) and sit around and wait more than two months to see if it really meets my expectations?

This update was the last chance for this phone to wow me and it really looked like Nokia was being proactive in pushing the update out before Christmas. But February?! The lifetime of a flagship phone, as a leader on the market, is 12 months at best. With the upcoming releases from other manufacturerers (Sony in Q1, Samsung in Q2, Apple midyear), the international 920 (RM-821) will be going without an update for nearly one fourth or one third of its lifetime as a market leading flagship in a clearly impaired state.

Put simply, I HAVE NO INTEREST IN HAVING MY MONEY TIED UP FOR MONTHS ON END IN A PHONE THAT CLEARLY DOESN'T WORK THE WAY IT SHOULD.

I would have liked to be able to stick around and was really looking forward to seeing what the 920 camera was really made of, but I have no intention to stick around and be treated like a second-class citizen, especially when I've paid nearly twice of what the unsubsidized AT&T version of the 920 is sold for. Sure, I could have bought one on NegriElectronics and had it imported to where I currently live (Sweden), but after the import duty and VAT, it would have almost been the same price, and the LTE wouldn't have worked with my operator. Still, if I had any idea how little Nokia clearly thinks of its (former) customer base around the world, I wouldn't have touched the 920 with a barge pole, neither the RM-820 nor the RM-821.

I'm a long time Nokia fan since before smartphones, even my first smartphone was a Nokia (N95) and I sincerely hope that the media got things backwards and an update for the RM-821 will be coming forthwith, but if not, I doubt I will ever buy a Nokia phone again - EVER!

halamadrid11

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it is really silly decision from microsoft/nokia but lets hope them to change it we need everyone to send mail to elop Nokia and Microsoft about our frustration, and tell them how we feel, maybe that will help?

I really don't understand why TWO Fking Months?

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Just saw this:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...rm-821-lumia-920-pr1_1-available-servers.html

Nothing yet for te non-carrier version of the region I need yet, but I may wait a day or so. My open returns period for the phone runs out tomorrow, but the vendor may have extended it for the holidays. If so, I might wait a week and see if it comes up on Navifirm. I almost always just use Navifirm for my other Nokia phone firmware.

In general for Symbian, if you only need English, you can install just about any region available and you always got English by default. If you had a need for local languages, either in the phone or keyboard, it had to be region dependent. WP8 seems different. We may be able to use one of these firmwares in the mean time anyway.

anujtwp

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You should sell your phone immediately. Phone is not good at all at this moment and the update which will make it best phone for you (for the hefty price you paid) is coming after two f****^ months! it is not at all worth of a price at this moment!

Mike_J

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You definitely need an iPhone as no iphones have any issues.Seriously the Lumia 920 is a great phone and mine has worked perfectly - never restarted it.No battery issues.

slashd0t

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, which phone are you planning to buy that has a better camera than the 920 does today without the update? (Other than the 808/N8) .. I got the update today (rogers), but, I thought the camera on the old firmware was still better than everything else out there.

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP, I am disappointed. I paid $700 in full to get my phone, of which the first one had random resets, so I got it exchanged and the second one is fine so far, but the camera is nearly not as good as they made it out to be. Oh, and I was hoping to take some nice pictures during the holiday season. Guess I will just have to wait.

Also, what is the source of the information that the update is coming in Feb for international unlocked phones? I know Daniel wrote it in his article but is he getting information directly from Nokia or is it just rumors? I hope it's just rumors.

dabdoub81

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
the thing that is realy bothering me that we have to wait for 3 months to get minor update !! so wondering are we ever going to have big update that including notification center , I think what we have beta phone til the next generation of lumia !!

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Also, if what we heard is true that Apollo+ is coming in Feb, then it means Nokia is just going to combine the camera fix with that update for international unlocked phones, that's way too long to wait and what's stopping them from delaying it to March?

Ifeanyi Okonya

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
i think you should get ur head together. even if its 2 months are u trying to say u cannot wait. and for the mofo who said iphione doesnt have issues, gtf outta here and stay with ur sheep. the lumia 920 stands out and doesnt have significant issues that shud make u all behave like d screen cracked or smtin

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just flashed my white unlocked Austrian 920 (RM-821) with the Switzerland(CH)-1249 update for the white 920. No issues. Went flawlessly in 10minutes.
Used Navifrim+1.7 with Nokia Care Suite 5.0.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Also, what is the source of the information that the update is coming in Feb for international unlocked phones? I know Daniel wrote it in his article but is he getting information directly from Nokia or is it just rumors? I hope it's just rumors.

If you read the article it says the quote is from Nokia Conversations blog so yeah it is definitely straight from Nokia.

I'm quite happy with my 920 in terms of speed, battery, reliability but I have been putting off really getting into the camera waiting for the firmware update. I can't understand why a minor fix like this which will reach my phone 99% untouched compared to the version going out to ATT users today is being put off till February. I just can't understand it at all.

I can only hope this is Nokia covering themselves for unforeseen circumstances and we'll really get the update on our phones much sooner and suddenly everyone will forget today and proclaim Nokia's awesomeness.

generalsu

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I just flashed my white unlocked Austrian 920 (RM-821) with the Switzerland(CH)-1249 update for the white 920. No issues. Went flawlessly in 10minutes.
Used Navifrim+1.7 with Nokia Care Suite 5.0.

Can you please walk us through the steps on how you did that?

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
If you read the article it says the quote is from Nokia Conversations blog so yeah it is definitely straight from Nokia.

I'm quite happy with my 920 in terms of speed, battery, reliability but I have been putting off really getting into the camera waiting for the firmware update. I can't understand why a minor fix like this which will reach my phone 99% untouched compared to the version going out to ATT users today is being put off till February. I just can't understand it at all.

I can only hope this is Nokia covering themselves for unforeseen circumstances and we'll really get the update on our phones much sooner and suddenly everyone will forget today and proclaim Nokia's awesomeness.

same here, my phone has no problems. The only thing that I've been holding back on is the camera and I wish they would just release the camera fix for everyone. I can live without WiFi always being on and SMS rejects.

arni99

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you please walk us through the steps on how you did that?
Basically I followed these 2 guides using the specific Orange-firmware from Navifirm...as mobile operator in Info "Orange"-Switzerland is shown but I dont mind ;).
Tip: How to fix a bricked Nokia Lumia 920 | Windows Phone Central
How to Flash your Lumia 920–English ? Aydon's Pommesbude

Firmware used for my unlocked white European Lumia 920 (RM-821):
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7AF234441E1105FD!548&authkey=!AKVFNK8n8OUlPwA

Could restore my apps+settings after I logged into my Microsoft-account. Extras+Info shows the new firmware 1249 instead of 1242.

update: 4G is gone in the mobile data settings dropdown - I don't mind - my SIM does not support 4G anyway. Nothing changed for me speedwise - "H+" is still the max. speed for me.

Last edited:

ajorourke

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Could this have anything to do with the fact that they're breaking exclusivity deals (at least in the UK) So having to deal with more carriers? The 920 is exclusive to just AT&T in the US for 6 months (I believe).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077