February update for RM-821 - WTF?! - Nokia, get your act together

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
i moaned about the camera issue on this forum when the L920 was released in the UK and a lot of the members on this forum blasted me with Happy Bananas saying an update is due soon blah blah... February is NOT SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nokia just promise the world but deliver nothing. By the time Nokia release this update for the Europeans I'll probably have moved on. Won't be surprised when this update comes out, a week later Nokia either announces a new phone or an OS. MSFT -> SLOW NOKIA -> SLOW

Bunch of Nokia are!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have been thinking of getting the L920, but, alas, it appears as a non-American I am not worthy it despite my paying more for it if I were to order now. It might have been a swell piece. Oh well. Gotta just stick to my L900 for 2013 as well.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Here I thought Nokia has learned from its mistakes. Has to be one of the stupidest things I've seen in smartphones for a long time. A carrier phone gets a critical update over a month before a factory unlocked version. Hilarious.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Also, if what we heard is true that Apollo+ is coming in Feb, then it means Nokia is just going to combine the camera fix with that update for international unlocked phones, that's way too long to wait and what's stopping them from delaying it to March?
AT&T and Rogers probably paid Nokia to make this update 'exclusive' to them.

Tafsern

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just don't see the reason to make yet ANOTHER thread with the same as others have made before you. This is a forum. Check the threads BEFORE you make another one, so it doesn't have to look so messy.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
1. it is not more cheaper for att
2. it is just more expensive everything in UK
3. They said "by feb", I guess you read too much into your native language.
4. Every brand out there does the same market discrimination.
5. Why you luck and bye.

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I just don't see the reason to make yet ANOTHER thread with the same as others have made before you. This is a forum. Check the threads BEFORE you make another one, so it doesn't have to look so messy.
I did search. Check the timestamp on when I started the thread. It's the first one specifically addressing the massive update delay.

Anyway my 920 is reset and packed for a return, but I'm waiting to hear more about how it goes witg the Navifirm offerings. Only problem there is that if I flash one and can't reflash to my original firmware if I don't like it, I'll be stuck and can't return it. I have a bit less than 24 hours to decide.

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
3. They said "by feb", I guess you read too much into your native language.

That's wrong. From Nokia Conversations they say "Together with Microsoft, we aim at beginning to deliver these updates to other markets in early February 2013."

So they won't even be starting until early February.

Also, just to point out, I'm not in the UK, I'm in Sweden.

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Did you flash your device using the Switzerland update? I live in Sweden as well.

No,not yet. Another poster here did and it worked, but turned off 4G. We might have to check which country and operator has the same LTE frequencies and hope that works. I will be waiting until tomorrow to decide.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
It seems the OP made an incorrect assumption about the unlocked devices getting updates first. In saying that, I don't think you'll be waiting until February.

There was never any communication from Nokia in regard to paying a premium for an unlocked device and getting special treatment because you paid more. In fact, I think Nokia would rather you get an AT&T branded device. You paid more because you got it through a channel that may have imported the device, this was all your decision.

If you are mad because of carrier exclusivity and you choose to pay more to get it on your carrier, that is your decision. It feels like people expect Nokia to bend to their every need because they are in tough financial shape. The reality here is that the device is not perfect, neither was the One X, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, iphone4, iphone4S, Iphone5 ... need I go on. There is an update in record time. It seems like February is just a placeholder for them to beat, I'd be SHOCKED if you have to wait until February.

In summary, calm down - I really don't think that it's going to take as long as they are saying. I agree that it's a mistake to say February if it'll really be January, but it will come sooner than you think.

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It seems the OP made an incorrect assumption about the unlocked devices getting updates first. In saying that, I don't think you'll be waiting until February.

There was never any communication from Nokia in regard to paying a premium for an unlocked device and getting special treatment because you paid more. In fact, I think Nokia would rather you get an AT&T branded device. You paid more because you got it through a channel that may have imported the device, this was all your decision.

If you are mad because of carrier exclusivity and you choose to pay more to get it on your carrier, that is your decision. It feels like people expect Nokia to bend to their every need because they are in tough financial shape. The reality here is that the device is not perfect, neither was the One X, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S3, iphone4, iphone4S, Iphone5 ... need I go on. There is an update in record time. It seems like February is just a placeholder for them to beat, I'd be SHOCKED if you have to wait until February.

In summary, calm down - I really don't think that it's going to take as long as they are saying. I agree that it's a mistake to say February if it'll really be January, but it will come sooner than you think.

This post is so riddled with BS that I do not know where to start. Anyway, a hint: Not every damned person lives in the United States of America.

Even Nokia does not headquarter there. Sounds incredible? It sure is!

Thanks for listening.

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

Wow, talk about writing a long post without reading the original post or the thread since.

For one, it is customary for unbranded, unlocked phones to get the latest updates earlier or at the same time as carrier branded phones if for nothing else simply because less work is required to get it ready and passed through QA without any customizations or bloatware. Looking at Nokia's general history of releases, this still holds. My assumption that I would be getting timely updates is not by any means a stretch of the imagination. Moreover, the reason I always try to get unbranded unlocked phones is because I travel alot and a locked phone would be useless for me. I need to be able to pop in a local SIM when landing at the airport and locked phones don't allow that.

Secondly, why would Nokia want me to buy an AT&T phone when I don't live in the United States? I did what everyone does, bought a phone that works in my local market. Of course, I could have bought an AT&T and imported it (from the US to Sweden) as a private person, but the phone wouldn't have had 4G connectivity because AT&T doesn't use the same LTE frequencies as the rest of the world. So no I did not pay more because I got it through a channel that imported the device. My device is local to my market in every way. It costs more in part because VAT (sales tax) is 25% where I live and in part because even AT&T's prepaid/non-subscription phones were heavily subsidized (compare $700 for the non-VAT international model with $450 for AT&T's). Was my phone imported? Of course, it was imported, so was yours - do you think your AT&T 920 was made in the U.S.?

Anyway, I too would be shocked if we have to wait until February, but as it stands that's what Nokia is telling us through official channels. Right now, I still have the possibility of returning the phone to get my money back. That opportunity runs out soon. I can wait until February and not bother using one of the major selling points of the phone that the manufacturer openly admits doesn't work the way it was intended to and just hope that the fix rectifies that aspect of the phone. But who knows, I may still not be satisfied with the pictures it produces - will I then be able to return it? No, it will be too late. Can I sell it to get my money back? Sure, but at a major markdown assuming two months' wear-and-tear.

Last, but not least, how is it that folks that have gotten their update even bother to wade in on a topic that has nothing to do with them just because somebody else is expressing dissatisfaction? Wouldn't you have been dissatisfied if a major fix like this was made available only in Northern Europe or China and you were told it wouldn't be coming to your phone for two months?

Quist2012

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, back on topic. From what I can tell, Orange in Switzerland has not yet launched its LTE (4G) network which is probably why that option is vanishing on their phones. On Navifirm, there is a firmware for Belgium Proximus which has LTE using the 1800 frequency band. I have a hard time thinking that this one shouldn't work in other LTE networks on another RM-821, but have not yet decided whether I'm going to try it or not. My operator (Tele2 Sweden) uses the 900/2600 bands, but I would imagine that a Proximus firmware would still allow for LTE roaming, meaning it wouldn't turn off the other LTE bands in the phone.

I'll see. I can't try it yet anyway. Have to wait until tomorrow when I'm done with my nightshift.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow, talk about writing a long post without reading the original post or the thread since.

Last, but not least, how is it that folks that have gotten their update even bother to wade in on a topic that has nothing to do with them just because somebody else is expressing dissatisfaction? Wouldn't you have been dissatisfied if a major fix like this was made available only in Northern Europe or China and you were told it wouldn't be coming to your phone for two months?

I'd be happy that folks got their update wherever they were and heartened that it's probably coming to me. You are in no different shape to those in Australia. I don't think that Nokia has specifically referred to the unlocked devices in any of their releases mostly carrier branded. For all you know, your update could come tomorrow.

Why are you so anxious about your return window? If the phone is not what you want, whether the update comes now or later is not important? If you are waiting on the update to see if you like the phone, fair enough, but the update is coming, you either like the phone or you return it and get what you want.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
This post is so riddled with BS that I do not know where to start. Anyway, a hint: Not every damned person lives in the United States of America.

Even Nokia does not headquarter there. Sounds incredible? It sure is!

Thanks for listening.

Fair enough, I was venting a little because I am sick of reading threads complaining about some people get headphones for free, some not etc. It's like listening to children who are upset their sibling winning a prize or getting a gift that they didn't.

I did make the assumption that the OP was in the United States, that was an incorrect assumption. What's funny is that I'm not originally from the USA myself, but I guess you get used to the news being US-Centric.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077