The real problem with the camera

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm no camera guy or anything of an expert ... as I don't understand anything in this thread ... but from a regular user and what I think kind of hurts it is ... it seems like it takes wider pictures , like it gets more in the picture than my other phone (came from a Motorola atrix) and that tends to make it not as sharp, because it's focusing on more of a wider range ...

again I'm not picture expert ... this is just a regular occasional picture taker... and oh yeah the quality is good for me

What you are referring to is the lens ANGLE (aka focal length). 920's lens has a wider field of view than iphone 5. It's not necessarily good or bad. Wide angle is great for landscape photos. Sharpness in general has nothing to do with the field of view. The OP and I were talking about lens APERATURE. It's a totally different thing.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that 920 has a great camera. I rather just enjoy the camera rather than getting into all this tech talk but there seems to be a lot of misinformation and mischaracterization in this forum. But that probably happens for every phone cameras.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^well considering the size of the lens, the wider it is... it gets harder to maintain sharpness along the whole frame, especially towards the edge. That is why you will see some 920s and some N8 soften the image here and there. The size limitation in a smartphone are really the big bottleneck for optics...

All phones have fixed aperture lenses ... all expect two: Samsung Pixon 12 and the Nokia N86.

Its not a problem.

No matter what, this is the best all around cell phone camera. PERIOD. If you want razor sharp photos, go buy a SLR with a quality prime lens.
I am not sure about that one.. Depends on the DSLR and the lens used. I have an older Canon D400, and my 808 holds its own in daylight... no joke. See here, you can download the original files: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=424646B5863880EB!3938

I actually think the iPhone over sharpens a tad.

I agree..

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
All phones have fixed aperture lenses ... all expect two: Samsung Pixon 12 and the Nokia N86.

Its not a problem.

I am not sure about that one.. Depends on the DSLR and the lens used. I have an older Canon D400, and my 808 holds its own in daylight... no joke. See here, you can download the original files: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=424646B5863880EB!3938

I agree..

I should have added quality SLR to my statement. A quality lens is a must, but a body that doesn't screw up RAW would be good.

D-SLRs suffer from the same problems as camera phones, i.e. they rely on post processing in some form. It's pretty safe to say that there probably isn't one bad sensor in current models. My old D1x was capable of taking razor sharp photos with a good lens on it, that sensor was absolute crap compared to what my consumer grade body has in it.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
No.. its this one: Amazon.com: Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

I think its a bit better than the kit. I also have this one: Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: CANON: Electronics

The last two pics in the album are with that one.. very narrow on a non FF dslr, but it still works great for close ups, great bokeh.

Don't get me wrong, the dslr is still better ... but it all depends on your usage. Personally.. I really don't need more than the 808 for the most part.

So considering that they have the technology ready to go (optics + sensor) I expect a device with the same system running on WP very soon. Hopefully MWC in February.. that is where they announced the 808 this year, and then it took them about 3-4 months to ship.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I finally bought a 50mm 1.8 again. I used to have a 1.4 but couldn't justify the price for how little I carry an SLR around.

Casio had their credit card sized cameras a few years back, probably more like 6 years back. Anyways, they relied on a periscope style setup to give full zoom with moving lens elements in a thin package. I'm actually shocked phone makers haven't looked into that tech. It had its share of optical issues since there was a light redirection, but the average person would never notice.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I finally bought a 50mm 1.8 again. I used to have a 1.4 but couldn't justify the price for how little I carry an SLR around.

Casio had their credit card sized cameras a few years back, probably more like 6 years back. Anyways, they relied on a periscope style setup to give full zoom with moving lens elements in a thin package. I'm actually shocked phone makers haven't looked into that tech. It had its share of optical issues since there was a light redirection, but the average person would never notice.

I've always dreamed of a 1.4 ... but as you say, way too pricey..

As far as movable lenses in phones, I think there are two main issues, on of which is durability. Its a phone, it will get dropped a dozen times per year.. even small drops might mess with the alignment. The second one is the fact that they need to use small sensors, and when you close the aperture further with a zoom lens there is even less light reaching the sensor.. we loose quality, there is just not enough there to compensate for it... not at 1.4 microns, and not with the current crop of sensors.

Also.. You have to use glass.. which is heavy. The optics in the 920, N8, and the 808 are all plastic.

Nokia did try an optical zoom system a while ago.. long before anyone else.. it was the N93 and the N93i

"The Nokia N93i features a 3.2 megapixel camera, Carl Zeiss optics, 3x optical zoom and digital video stabilization."

Nokia N93 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nokia N93i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That was 6-7 years ago..

So I think that was why they had to figure another way of zooming without any moving parts.. which is what we have in the 808, its pretty much based on satellite imaging... where they have an image with huge resolution, and then they crop out a section of it to "zoom" in .. its exactly what happens with the 808.. it takes a 41Mpix image, and it crops out the middle of the frame in real time.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Anyway, I think we can all agree that 920 has a great camera. I rather just enjoy the camera rather than getting into all this tech talk but there seems to be a lot of misinformation and mischaracterization in this forum. But that probably happens for every phone cameras.
Better cameras bring out the enthusiasts and pros among us, which I love. My only gripes about the camera are the dynamic range (the one thing I wanted from the 808) and the disappointing camera settings. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but if someone developed a camera app made with enthusiasts/pros in mind with manual settings and settings in general that required less taps to get to things like color temperature adjustment, I'd pay. I'm thinking part of the problem lies with Windows Phone itself, but that's just a guess. When Nokia figures out how to pack the 808 sensor into a device the size of the 920 with OIS, I'll buy it.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ the 808 has a very.. strange dynamic range.. I would say its weak. People say it suffers from "highlight clipping" but I still don't get how that is different from a weak DR. Whatever they did, the pixel oversampling can go only that far... I think that the weak DR basically exposes that after all, the 808 shoots with the same tiny 1.4 micron pixels like most other smartphones.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
No.. its this one: Amazon.com: Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

I think its a bit better than the kit. I also have this one: Amazon.com: Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens: CANON: Electronics

The last two pics in the album are with that one.. very narrow on a non FF dslr, but it still works great for close ups, great bokeh.

Don't get me wrong, the dslr is still better ... but it all depends on your usage. Personally.. I really don't need more than the 808 for the most part.

So considering that they have the technology ready to go (optics + sensor) I expect a device with the same system running on WP very soon. Hopefully MWC in February.. that is where they announced the 808 this year, and then it took them about 3-4 months to ship.

That's a really good lens. I have it as well.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
This is apparently from Nokia's Juha Alakarhu:

"Aperture refers to the iris in the lens and how open (or closed) it can be when taking photos. When the iris is opened to the max, it results in a lower F-Stop, which on the Lumia 920 is a F2.0. The more open the iris, the more light it lets in, which is what we need for low-light photography. The downside is a lower F-stop results in a softer image with less sharpness."

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte