Skype on Nokia 920

Anthony Meluso

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok I'm sorry I confused some of you. As you may know you can use Skype on the desktop, and in Metro, and on your WP. When version 6 of Skype came out a few months back it allowed you to link your Microsoft Account with your Skype account so you can log in either way. This where my troubles began. I noticed that I was logged onto Skype on my phone with my Skype Account and in Metro as my Microsoft Account. When a person IMed me in Metro my phone never gave a notification. In theory this shouldn't matter what account you use since they are linked but for me it did. Once I went into all my Skypes (Desktop, Metro, WP) and used my Skype Account to sign in I finally got notifications on my phone. Maybe if I log in to all my Skypes with my Microsoft Account it would work also but it works well now as is.

As for WP7 I'm not sure how that works right now with account types. I guess the quickest way to link account is to sign out the desktop app and when you sign in again it asks you if you want to sign in with your Microsoft Account. At that point your accounts are linked.

steeleblue

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I actually can receive calls without open the app, not sure why so of you guys cant...

I actually saw this too. My husband called me from overseas via Skype. It rang on my phone even though the app wasn't open. I thought this functionality wasn't in this beta version. It happened twice. I'm going to try some tests tomorrow and see if it works again.

rantanamo

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
It works, don't get me wrong. I love the way you can be invisible or available, chat and even do video calls but it's just not completely working - no notifications outside of the app really breaks Skype for me at the moment. Eagerly anticipating the beta refresh.

Is this true? I had never used skype before moving to WP8 and I notice that this does work for me. I don't have skype on the home screen. I don't know of any setting that makes it run all the time. But when my gf skypes me from, the phone rings just like any other call. It just has her skype name instead of her cell number and the skype logo. When I swipe up to answer, it answers and skype opens. I dunno if Skype chat messages do this or not, and she just skype calls me. I believe if you install IM+ it has skype messages as well, and will certainly give you notifications for chat messages, and works just as well as the native client.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Is this true? I had never used skype before moving to WP8 and I notice that this does work for me. I don't have skype on the home screen. I don't know of any setting that makes it run all the time. But when my gf skypes me from, the phone rings just like any other call. It just has her skype name instead of her cell number and the skype logo. When I swipe up to answer, it answers and skype opens. I dunno if Skype chat messages do this or not, and she just skype calls me. I believe if you install IM+ it has skype messages as well, and will certainly give you notifications for chat messages, and works just as well as the native client.

I figured out what the problem was as per above. I had linked my MS account to my original Skype account and I was logging in with the MS Account. This was why I wasn't getting any notifications. If I log in with the original Skype account I get all the calls and notifications perfectly.

Boffinboy24

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest not installing Skype. The issue persists whereby it can result in permanent syncing and prevents opening mail or other apps. Numerous people are affected, judging by posts on the WP forums, myself included.​

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I would suggest not installing Skype. The issue persists whereby it can result in permanent syncing and prevents opening mail or other apps. Numerous people are affected, judging by posts on the WP forums, myself included.​

I had that issue before the portico update I'm curious to see if that fixed anything. Going to try Skype beta again....

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I actually saw this too. My husband called me from overseas via Skype. It rang on my phone even though the app wasn't open. I thought this functionality wasn't in this beta version. It happened twice. I'm going to try some tests tomorrow and see if it works again.
I guess the trick is to set your Skype online within the app, then make sure you are with proper data/WiFi connection. Then when someone calls you via Skype, it rings even under lockscreen. I never tested the message notification, but as long as phone calls go, I'd say the current solution is much better than actually keep Skype running in background as Skype does consume a lot power

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I guess the trick is to set your Skype online within the app, then make sure you are with proper data/WiFi connection. Then when someone calls you via Skype, it rings even under lockscreen. I never tested the message notification, but as long as phone calls go, I'd say the current solution is much better than actually keep Skype running in background as Skype does consume a lot power

I have found skype to be pretty good. I am usually logged onto skype on my laptop and skype runs in the background on my phone. The setting being busy on my laptop i usually miss calls and they end up popping immediately on my phone. I havent tested messages though. But calls work perfectly.

On another note are there different versions of skype for different countries ?

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have found skype to be pretty good. I am usually logged onto skype on my laptop and skype runs in the background on my phone. The setting being busy on my laptop i usually miss calls and they end up popping immediately on my phone. I havent tested messages though. But calls work perfectly.

On another note are there different versions of skype for different countries ?
they have a special version for China which cost more(you can use the universal one if you so wish). Other than that, it's pretty much a universal experience

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I merged my skype and msn accounts so that I can have my messegner account NOT be my phone account and still be able to chat to messenger people as needed.

Waiting for skype to be:
  • Fixed so that I can use my messenger acccount normally for all the features, calling, notifications etc
  • Background running properly
  • Integrated to the messaging hub so I can keep my chats there rather than using different applications. I can understand the video portion may still need the app outside the messaging hub.
  • Contact details to properly transfer from my skype contacts to my contact hub. Right now I see names of people from skype but no contact details inside. Of course if I see within the skype app it's ok but that's beside the point.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I tried Skype on my 920 for the first time today; made a video call between my 920 and my girlfriends iPhone4 (she has the Skype app on her iPhone) and it worked flawlessly!

Here's my question; is it free? I mean, is it only free because it's still a "preview/beta"? Because I haven't paid anything, nor do I want to. Or was it free because we were both on WiFi? I looked around on the Skype site and could only find info on "using a credit card" or "adding minutes" or "buying Skype credit" etc etc

All I want to do is make occasional video calls.. I don't want to pay for Skype at all when I pay at&t so much already.

Ok, in answer to your query, Skype to Skype calls (such as between you and your GF), have always been free. They will remain as such, this is how Skype works. The extra costs come in if you start dialling landlines or mobiles. I do this for the US calls. I have a US SkypeIn number and an unlimited calling package to the US (landlines and mobiles). I also have a UK SkypeIn number, which for UK people calling in (I will always ring out using my mobile phone anyway if I really need to call someone back, which is a UK mobile on a UK network, so it uses my 2'000 inclusive minutes).

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb