920 still rebooting after Portico update

TobyGadd

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I had a phone that locked up and rebooted every time that I used it. I couldn't even get through the setup without it crashing! AT&T replaced it with a new one, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. If a full reset doesn't make things better, get it exchanged. A fully-functional 920 is great!

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a phone that locked up and rebooted every time that I used it. I couldn't even get through the setup without it crashing! AT&T replaced it with a new one, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. If a full reset doesn't make things better, get it exchanged. A fully-functional 920 is great!

I'm a pretty patient guy and really love the performance of the 920, way faster than my Focus. I am used to buying into new stuff and taking the risk with new platforms, most not around anymore (BetaMax, Lazerdisk, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, MS Tablet PC, Zune) Just didn't realize how painfull it would be going from WP 7.5 to WP 8 ;)

I know this will get resolved and I am looking forward to having a FULLY functional 920 soon.

It sure would be nice to try and figure out why this is happening to some but not all.

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Updated the phone Wednesday. Before that a few times a week the phone would just go dark. Power button wouldn't wake it or anything. It has happened at night when it is plugged in, during the day while not in use, at night sitting on the wireless charger. Everytime I need to reboot it.
So, now I update it and think to myself - all should be fine. Nope - shut off last night while plugged in. Went to bed with the battery critically low and woke with it off. I had to push the power and volume to reboot it. Looking at the battery it is now with a full charge. Have a Nokia 920. Software issue? Phone issue? Nokia issue?

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hard reboot is done, so far so good..

Forgot to take a screen shot of how I liked my home screen, but I think I remembered most of how it was.

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Forum mini-poll. This shut down thing is annoying. Do I do a hard reset? Do I return the 920 for a new one? Return for a different WP8 (my daughters 820 has never done this)? Return for Android or iPhone? Or live with it?
Thanks...

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Do any of that but stick to WP8 its amazing and will continue to be and these issues are Nokia not WP8 as the other devices are fine

Jerry Voelker

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, I still experience phone reboots after the update. Prior to the update, my phone would reboot under specific circumstances, and it continues to do so after the update.

While connected to bluetooth in my car, if I received a text message while listening to audio my phone would reboot. There would be a 1-3 second delay between the arrival of the message and the reboot. If the text message came in and I was able to click on the message to open it, it would prevent a reboot from occurring. I did not experience any rebooting issues in any other circumstance.

Today, I received a message while listening to a podcast on my lunch hour and the phone rebooted. I hope that they can fix this issue as it is problematic in that once the phone reboots, I lose the message that triggered the reboot.

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Today, I received a message while listening to a podcast on my lunch hour and the phone rebooted. I hope that they can fix this issue as it is problematic in that once the phone reboots, I lose the message that triggered the reboot.

Absolutely same thing has happened to me in the past. I had to start paying attention to who sent it before I opened it just in case it rebooted, then if it did I could ask them to send it again.

So far no reboots, have only set up my people hub with my outlook mail and Facebook and the only app I've downloaded is the wpcentral app.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine is still have the occasional brick since the Portico update. Placing the phone on the wireless charger seems to increase the likelihood of it happening. I have played around with uninstalling certain apps, rebooting, etc. with no improvement.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I want to say, my phone has no frozen or rebooted since the update. I'm 100% certain all of my issues were Bluetooth related. I got it to stop freezing before by turning text to speech off. I turned it back on after the update, not a single issue.

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Hard reboot is done, so far so good..

Forgot to take a screen shot of how I liked my home screen, but I think I remembered most of how it was.

If you had Backup enabled on your device, your home screen settings would be backed up. Enable it under Settings.

Forum mini-poll. This shut down thing is annoying. Do I do a hard reset? Do I return the 920 for a new one? Return for a different WP8 (my daughters 820 has never done this)? Return for Android or iPhone? Or live with it?
Thanks...

If you continue to get reboots AFTER the Portico update has been applied, then it's either A) the hardware is defective, or B) a specific app is the cause. I certainly wouldn't trade my 920 in for an iFruit or Slutdroid device.

Sadly, I still experience phone reboots after the update. Prior to the update, my phone would reboot under specific circumstances, and it continues to do so after the update.

While connected to bluetooth in my car, if I received a text message while listening to audio my phone would reboot. There would be a 1-3 second delay between the arrival of the message and the reboot. If the text message came in and I was able to click on the message to open it, it would prevent a reboot from occurring. I did not experience any rebooting issues in any other circumstance.

I too had issues like this prior to the Portico update. Since applying the update, it hasn't rebooted once. However, the wifes 920 did lock up, and required me to soft reboot it (hold down Lower Volume, Power and Camera button for about 25 seconds, waited for it to buzz and then removed my fingers from the keys, otherwise it would hard reset.) If you really continue to experience this, I would contact Nokia. Their support is really good and prompt. I wouldn't bother with AT&T, unless Nokia truly tells you to contact them.

deezus

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
My phone had the Bluetooth not auto connecting and freeze up issues before Portico. After portico, my phone will randomly turn off and screen goes blank. I then have to do a soft reset, vol down plus power button. It seems like this is happening after I take it off a wired and wireless charger. I am at a breaking point here with this phone. has anyone else experienced this?

dula714

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My does not reboot, but if I leave my phone to recharge over night it switches off by itself and does not respond in the morning. On the other hand, my battery life is good, I get about 18 hours of battery on my phone with moderate use such as Facebook, Games, Xbox Smartglass and pictures. I am happy with my battery life, but I wish I had like 2 days of battery life with moderate use like some people. Other than the phone not responding in the morning without a soft reset, I love my Nokia.

msualum

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I know there were issues with L900's built early. Are there build numbers on the 920's? I think I have an early one - maybe a hardware exchange is in order.

Blanchard229

May 30, 2012
Visit site
I updated to Portico 3 days ago. I have experience no problems before or after the update. I had a 900 before I got my 920 and had no problems with it either. Portico had been an outstanding upgrade with the new features and extended battery life - up to 20 hours.

DaytonaGTS

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
@ChrisLynch, I do use back up but have never been able to figure out how to load backups... I also like to start fresh so I know I have a clean restart.

Well the reboots are back, I don't use Bluetooth, so that isn't it. Today after I went on a three hour ride and stopped at Starbucks to get a warm up and check my email it started in again.

I loaded Xbox games on before that, I'm going to take them back off and see if it will reboot without the games.

It seems that the phone sitting for some time without activity triggers it some times, like it sitting in my car at work, or me riding my motorcycle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise