Still trying to figure out what the problem is with my 920's camera... (hard reset a few times...)

weis

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Aside from being very upset about Nokia's not allowing updates for the unbranded 920s, I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is with my camera...

I had nearly a perfect working phone one and a half week ago. Even though the battery didn't last well and heated up somehow and there are gliches with some apps, the phone and its original apps worked without problem. Once the battery died in the middle of the night but I thought that it was because I didn't plug the charger well enough, it's a little loose anyway. I read about the freezes and restarts in different forums and was wondering what people were talking about, since I didn't have any such kind of problems. I felt myself being lucky.

Then I got some app updates (Nokia drive+ and a few others), and ever since then my camera hasn't worked properly. When I open the camera app or click the camera button nine out of ten times it just goes back to the home screen or else it freeze the phone. I have tried soft resets and restarts but they mostly don't work, or they might work long enough to take a couple of photos and then stop working, or otherwise it freeze the phone and need to soft reset it. There is no pattens as to when it works and when it doesn't. I have also tried to uninstall some apps but it seemed to have no effect on the condition of the phone. Every app that utilizes the camera won't work ( camera won't work but other functions work), flashlight app won't work.

Today I decided to hard reset the phone. It's surprisingly easy procedure that took less than 10 min. I did my first hard reset and chose to use my phone's backup files from Skydrive and it went fine, except it didn't do anything to the camera, i.e. it didn't work. My second hard reset I chose to "start from clean table" (or something of such) without any apps installed, and also disabled the automatic update but it didn't do anything either, no working camera. I did the same procedure once more just in case I did something wrong, but it didn't work. The fourth hard reset I restored from Skydrive to have (mostly) everything in order. No working camera either but almost everything else works now.

It puzzles me. I'd though that if the reason of camera not working is some app updates then start from the clean table would have resloved it. Even after hard reset using camera at the very first possible chance didn't succeed: it worked for a very short moment before it froze the phone, just like before resetting. If I can keep myself from touching the camera the phone itself works (aside from maybe once or twice restartd itself, very rarely anyway). Now I have a phone with a camera I can't use and I don't have a clue what the problem is. I don't think that there are hardware problems because the camera *worked*, and I don't believe that software updates can break it hardware-wise. I have thought of changing it but who can promise that I'll get a phone that works better. Probably I should wait for Microsoft's/Nokia's updates, it just feels like they never come...

Anyway thanks for reading my mumbling...

garrymcd

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Since you tried a hard reset, this probably won't work, but have you tried going to Settings - Applications - Photos+ Camera - Reset Camera?

CoZmicShReddeR

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
First off you sound like you did some good research but maybe you missed something? Did you get a new Micro Sim when purchased your phone? Just curious...

weis

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes the micro-sim card is brand new from my carrier, since I had full-size sim in my old phone (Samsung's Omnia, a WinMo 6.5 phone, by the way) that won't fit the Lumia. The sim and the phone-functions work without problems...

Tulio Alfonsi

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi there. Same problem here...but curious to know why someone is asking about the SIM Card...
I did reuse mine...which had to be CUT when I bought my old HTC ONE X.
Then, I had to use a Nokia E6 as temp backup and the micro sim was being used with an adaptor...

Any clue?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey weis, so the camera just won't initialise at all? Have you tried using third party apps like ProShot or Camera360 to launch the camera? If the camera starts at all does it still take good pictures? If this all started when you updated some apps have you tried uninstalling the apps that cause the problem (I guess you have since you've done resets).

It either sounds like a stubborn software glitch or a hardware fault. You have a Nokia Warranty you might need to use - send it in for repair and hopefully Nokia will fix the problem for you?

jlp34876

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue with your 920 but it only happens when Im using the front Camera. After taking picture or video on my front camera. The camera app will start to freeze, if I press the home button it will work but if open the camera app again it will not initialize and it will go back to Home Screen again. After trying soft/hard reset/reflash the issue still there. I guess that this issue is related to heating problem, there is one time that I can use the front camera properly on skype, but when the phone heats up the front cam starts to freeze. And the camera app will not initialize again if you restart it.

First I thought skype is the problem so I reflash my 920, but the issue is still there if the phone is heating up.

I end up at Nokia Care Center, its been 4days already.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You don't have a 1 year guarantee with your carrier? Anyway you should be able to get a new one(probably refurbished) the 920 is not a year old yet.

Tulio Alfonsi

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey weis, so the camera just won't initialise at all? Have you tried using third party apps like ProShot or Camera360 to launch the camera? If the camera starts at all does it still take good pictures? If this all started when you updated some apps have you tried uninstalling the apps that cause the problem (I guess you have since you've done resets).

It either sounds like a stubborn software glitch or a hardware fault. You have a Nokia Warranty you might need to use - send it in for repair and hopefully Nokia will fix the problem for you?
MIne does not initilize at all...and there's no app that can make it work...

In fact, I think that my 920 camera stopped working when I did install the Nokia Panorama software.

Few hours ago did re flash the phone with the software provided in this forum, but the issue remains the same...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05