getting tired of developers leaving

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone CAN'T succeed without things like gmail syncing. Period. End of story. Just as an example, the University of California is moving towards a gmail system for every campus. That's hundreds of thousands of students, faculty, and staff who can't sync their school/work email to their phone. Corporations are moving to gmail, schools are moving to gmail, 425 million people use gmail. Not optional.
It's not just gmail though. 100 million people use dropbox. If you can't support dropbox, you need to get serious.

TL;DR past your University comment. Enterprise customers (google apps) still get active sync. Google can't afford to NOT offer EAS to paying customers. Enterprise lives in Windows.

neoxphuse

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: getting tired

You have it backwards. I use the services I use, and my OS better support, not "Let me change all the services I use because my OS can't or won't support it."
I've used dropbox since the beta. I've used gmail since 2004. I have absolutely NO interest in changing the services I use. They work. They work well. I've used them for years. I know how they work, I know they're reliable. It's a fundamentally conservative position, but I don't care. It works really well for me. My school and job both use gmail, in addition to my personal account. How SOL am I in a month? Pretty much screwed. Tons of universities and corporations have switched to gmail. This stuff is not optional for WP8 to be a viable ecosystem and "just switch your whole life to another provider" is not a real answer.

If you have no interest in changing services, why bother going with WP? I mean it's a whole new outlook, yet you expect all the services to be there. And just because you use "dropbox since 2004" doesn't mean it's better than other services. Sorry, but SkyDrive is way better and so have I been a user of dropbox since 2004. So what is your point? And yes, switching providers is an answer sometimes. It's difficult, but it's only a first world country problem. I think right now we're going to be very limited with WP8, it's the way it's going to be, and quite honestly it's always going to be like that until we get ahead of two or become a bigger third option.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
They can, and probably will. But I doubt it will happen soon (or soon enough), as it would definitely require a software update for the phone and we all saw how slow Portico rolled out.

Do you mean from the time it hit the servers to the point it was on our phones, or from the time WP8 was launched?

I guess I live in a rose-colored world either way, as they pushed out Portico on AT&T less than six weeks from the time they launched WP8. That seems incredibly quick to me, in fact, not certain when I have seen an update come so quickly.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

You have it backwards. I use the services I use, and my OS better support, not "Let me change all the services I use because my OS can't or won't support it."
I've used dropbox since the beta. I've used gmail since 2004. I have absolutely NO interest in changing the services I use. They work. They work well. I've used them for years. I know how they work, I know they're reliable. It's a fundamentally conservative position, but I don't care. It works really well for me. My school and job both use gmail, in addition to my personal account. How SOL am I in a month? Pretty much screwed. Tons of universities and corporations have switched to gmail. This stuff is not optional for WP8 to be a viable ecosystem and "just switch your whole life to another provider" is not a real answer.

Sounds like you have a clear decision to make then. C ya.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with you, IF the darn thing had a notification center.... I hate the fact that if I feel the phone vibrate in my pocket and don't see the notification, and it's not a mail or JiTalk... I have to check all other things that it could have been... That's just... stupid....

Isn't that what live tiles and the icons on the lock screen are for? I can glance at my live tiles and see what needs attention right away. To be honest, I only used the notification center on my Android only because it didn't provide features of live tiles on WP and it was hard for me to find things. Live tiles are much easier and cleaner to me.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Isn't that what live tiles and the icons on the lock screen are for? I can glance at my live tiles and see what needs attention right away. To be honest, I only used the notification center on my Android only because it didn't provide features of live tiles on WP and it was hard for me to find things. Live tiles are much easier and cleaner to me.

The thing is, many live tiles don't exactly tell you what the notification was about. Just that there was one. Live tiles work great for glancing at readily available info. Not necessarily for info you might have missed. I am not dead set against needing a notification center. But having used a Android for a bit this summer, it was nice to have

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

I think you have it backwards, It is not Microsoft dropping the support, it is Google who is the bad guy. Im not gonna let my email provider decide what hardware I buy or what OS I run. It is consumers like you that make it possible for companies like Google to screw consumers over, the kind that accepts being screwed over. I will buy whatever product I want, if some service provider I use will not support my new product I will pick one of the many alternatives availiable, no one will make money on me and at the same time try to screw me over. If it was Microsoft trying to decide what email provider I could use I would sell my phone, but that is not the case, it is Google who tries to decide which phone I can buy if I want to use their services, so then I will not use their services.

SteveISU

Sep 26, 2006
Visit site
I think the surprising stories are the WP7 dev 's that we new WP8 users hear about who are announcing they're jumping ship. Long time developers bailing. To someone who is switching from iOS or android and sees that it sounds an alarm in our minds that if MS can't keep the developers it had on 7, what's that say for the likely scenario of it attracting the ones we all want quickly on WP period.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

walid1111

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
all phone..platforms are good...i had them all..
just buy the one that useful to you.
i see ppl swap..trade..sell and buy phone all over everyday.
i already sold SGS3//then traded my iphone5..back to note2..sold and got me a L920 now.
trust me all of them are good top smart..just get the one useful for you.
come back again to WP at later time..when useful for you.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I think the surprising stories are the WP7 dev 's that we new WP8 users hear about who are announcing they're jumping ship. Long time developers bailing. To someone who is switching from iOS or android and sees that it sounds an alarm in our minds that if MS can't keep the developers it had on 7, what's that say for the likely scenario of it attracting the ones we all want quickly on WP period.
Who are these developers, and where are they making these announcements? I'm serious - other than this thread I apparently missed all these announcements

pdskep

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
The thing is, many live tiles don't exactly tell you what the notification was about. Just that there was one. Live tiles work great for glancing at readily available info. Not necessarily for info you might have missed. I am not dead set against needing a notification center. But having used a Android for a bit this summer, it was nice to have
They were building one, but ran out of time for the final build. Apparently it's coming.
Microsoft "ran out of time" on WP8 notification center

thegoodfight

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Getting tired of developers leaving when is windows phone going to pick up? Tired of not getting apps like other platforms. I feel like sometimes I'm just wasting my time. MS needs to do more. Don't get me wrong I love windows phone. I've been with windows since I first had my first phone.

Unfortunately, many developers are narrow-minded, nerdy bandwagon jumpers. Harsh, but true.

There have been a number of surveys and articles out about how Windows Phone developers *on average* make far more money than Android developers, and even a bit more than iOS developers (someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that last part).

So there is a lot more potential for developers to make money with Windows Phone than the competitor platforms, and developing has never been easier since Windows Phone 8 is far easier to code for than Windows Phone 7.

So there isn't really a strong logical reason for a few developers to suddenly be leaving Windows Phone. Either they are getting paid to leave by competitors, or they are simply bandwagon jumpers.

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

If you have NO interest in changing services, why would you change your cell phone then? You need to sell your Lumia asap and grab an iphone. To get a new phone wth a new and exciting OS, yet expecting this "new" phone to work exactly the same as your 5 year old iphone is tomfoolery.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

Think of it this way: The number of app relative to market share.
Sure, Windows Phone may have 150K apps, but assume the market share is 5%.
That's 30K apps for every 1% of the market share.
Well, assume Android has 750K apps, and the market share is 40%.
That's ~13K apps for every 1% of market share.

At least, that's my theory.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So there is a lot more potential for developers to make money with Windows Phone than the competitor platforms, and developing has never been easier since Windows Phone 8 is far easier to code for than Windows Phone 7.
Take note that you can code for WP8, and just port it over (with ease, I may add) to W8/WinRT, since the Operating Systems share the same NT Kernel.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Think of it this way: The number of app relative to market share.
Sure, Windows Phone may have 150K apps, but assume the market share is 5%.
That's 30K apps for every 1% of the market share.
Well, assume Android has 750K apps, and the market share is 40%.
That's ~13K apps for every 1% of market share.

At least, that's my theory.
How about this way?
all 750k can be side loaded
all 750k is also open to all available market.
therefore you are directly competing against 750k, plus losing sales in side load.
good rating ones will snow ball and project cross platform influence, while new comers sink into the bottom never be found again.
unless you are big players, which they will excel in any market anyways, or less it is wise to explorer new market.
be the best in small circle is better than eating dirt in a big league.

elvisff

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Tekhna... why don't you just use your GS3 you got back in October?

MS doesn't need to bend to Google. As Windows 8 becomes more popular the integration of MS services in both the WP8 platform and the Win8 platform will create incentive for people to transition. I use skydrive on my phone, PCs, and surface... same information is accessible on all of them, same with contacts, calendar, mail, ect...

To everybody else, you need to take a look at Tekhna's posting history to get an idea of what he is trying to bring to the conversation..

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
How many devs are actually leaving? I follow the wp news fairly closely, and I've only read about a couple, all of which have apps that aren't selling, and lots of competition. I don't see the problem. Devs come and go from ios and android every day too, for exactly the same reasons.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Windows Phone CAN'T succeed without things like gmail syncing. Period. End of story. Just as an example, the University of California is moving towards a gmail system for every campus. That's hundreds of thousands of students, faculty, and staff who can't sync their school/work email to their phone. Corporations are moving to gmail, schools are moving to gmail, 425 million people use gmail. Not optional.
It's not just gmail though. 100 million people use dropbox. If you can't support dropbox, you need to get serious.

You think a University is going to rely on CalDAV for their syncing needs? No, they'll ask for EAS and EAS they shall receive. So WP8 will cover their needs just fine. Google is dropping ActiveSync for individual consumer accounts, and only those that sign up after January 15th, or whenever their cutoff date is. Current users will still get EAS syncing just fine. On the other hand, MS might add CalDAV support via a future update, as they've not said anything except that they're "surprised" by Google's decision.

DropBox is a nice service, I agree, but it's not like MS isn't trying to get them to develop for WP8. In the meantime, there's SkyDrive which offers 7GB of storage for free. When DropBox decides to develop for WP8, I'm sure MS will welcome them to the ecosystem; it shouldn't be long now, I think, as they'll have to develop a Metro version of their desktop app for Windows 8 and that might get them to look at WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb