4 days and I haven't even seen the 3G symbol

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you set it into 3G under carrier ? Because if it is in 2G it will not go to 3G...
It can also be the SIM card, I would try a different SIM card in my phone to see if it picks up 3G once you set it to pick up 3G.
Read my "8X battery tips and tricks" here on the 8X forum. You will find loads of information on settings.

Set phone to English.
Next: Go to Settings / Mobile Network

Is Data Connection set to ON?

Is Data roaming ON or OFF? You might need to roam where you are... try it.

What is the Highest connection speed setting? 2G or 3G

Then last, go to Network selection, Open it. You will get searching for Networks
Then it will display a list of Networks, in there you might find your Network twice, as simple GSM or with Data.
Check it out. Try if you have more than one choice.

Also, after you insert the SIM, you must setup the phone using the "Connection Setup" app that comes from HTC. Then after you did that, switch the phone off and then on again. Do that first!

Under APN make sure you try phone ipV4 and ipV4 and ipV6.

Then send me a message if you have questions.

Last edited:

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Did you set it into 3G under carrier ? Because if it is in 2G it will not go to 3G...
It can also be the SIM card, I would try a different SIM card in my phone to see if it picks up 3G once you set it to pick up 3G.
Read my "8X battery tips and tricks" here on the 8X forum. You will find loads of information on settings.

Set phone to English.
Next: Go to Settings / Mobile Network

Is Data Connection set to ON?

Is Data roaming ON or OFF? You might need to roam where you are... try it.

What is the Highest connection speed setting? 2G or 3G

Then last, go to Network selection, Open it. You will get searching for Networks
Then it will display a list of Networks, in there you might find your Network twice, as simple GSM or with Data.
Check it out. Try if you have more than one choice.

Also, after you insert the SIM, you must setup the phone using the "Connection Setup" app that comes from HTC. Then after you did that, switch the phone off and then on again. Do that first!

Under APN make sure you try phone ipV4 and ipV4 and ipV6.

Then send me a message if you have questions.

hi coolknight, i tried everything you have listed above.

I tried another sim card and the 3G still didn't work.
I tried my current sim card into my older HTC on X and it worked.
I used the HTC connection setup app.
Still nothing.
Vodafone has told me all about the APN settings.
The only thing they didn't know about was IPV4 and IPV6
Anyway i tried both of them too.
Not sure if it is possible to attach a vide here.
But i'll record a video of what i'm doing on my phone with the settings.
Thanks a lot coolknight

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The bands on your international device and the ones used by Vodafone 3G is different.
You from India?

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
yes i'm from India. Tell me more. This is what i expected too. But I bought the device from Singapore which uses GSM900/1800 for 2G
and India uses the same. Both use 2100mhz for 3G. I'm not really sure though. Google results says it uses the same bands. Is there any way I can check what bands my handphone is capable of handling?
I couldn't find anything on the box.

Last edited:

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
2100 is only upstream. Downstream frequencies may vary.

Sounds to me like your 8X doesn't support the same downstream frequency that your carrier uses.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
yes i'm from India. Tell me more. This is what i expected too. But I bought the device from Singapore which uses GSM900/1800 for 2G
and India uses the same. Both use 2100mhz for 3G. I'm not really sure though. Google results says it uses the same bands. Is there any way I can check what bands my handphone is capable of handling?
I couldn't find anything on the box.

Do this:

Check your box and see what bands it supports.

Then check what bands Vodafone uses.

Let's go step by step on this one. There was a post somewhere that I had made and someone had suggested Vodafone in India uses a different band than the ones used in other countries for 3G. Am trying to source it out since yesterday..give a day...meanwhile find out what I mentioned above...

jacklivehere

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Do this:Check your box and see what bands it supports.Then check what bands Vodafone uses.Let's go step by step on this one. There was a post somewhere that I had made and someone had suggested Vodafone in India uses a different band than the ones used in other countries for 3G. Am trying to source it out since yesterday..give a day...meanwhile find out what I mentioned above...Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.
I am using Verizon 8x in India on vodaphone India. And getting H+ and 3g all the time. Same results with airtel too. You need to ensure you have 3g subscription

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Question: why order an 8X from Singapore or Verizon USA rather than purchase an unlocked one in India? Is the price of a carrier-sold version significantly lower?

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Do this:

Check your box and see what bands it supports.

Then check what bands Vodafone uses.

Let's go step by step on this one. There was a post somewhere that I had made and someone had suggested Vodafone in India uses a different band than the ones used in other countries for 3G. Am trying to source it out since yesterday..give a day...meanwhile find out what I mentioned above...

i checked my box, couldn't find anything on it. Anyhow, I managed to get in touch with HTC customer care and they confirmed that the device sold in Singapore and India are the exact same.I gave them my IMEI number and they said the device should not have a problem in India. I still couldn't find out about the bands they use.And I also tried my airtel(another carrier) sim. Still no 3G on the device.
About the bands, vodafone customer service has no clue what i'm talking about. But a friend said, i could use a code from my phone's dialer to check what bands it would work on. Again i googled for the codes but there is such little information about windows phones online :/

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I am using Verizon 8x in India on vodaphone India. And getting H+ and 3g all the time. Same results with airtel too. You need to ensure you have 3g subscription

hi jack, i do have a 3G subscription. I confirmed that with vodafone and even if i didn't have one it would start consuming my regular prepaid balance on my phone. And I have been using 3g on my other phones with this same sim

rohan fernandez

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Question: why order an 8X from Singapore or Verizon USA rather than purchase an unlocked one in India? Is the price of a carrier-sold version significantly lower?

Nope, it is pretty much the same. Infact I might have paid a little more in Singapore. I bought it because I was on vacation for a couple weeks in Singapore and I couldn't wait until I got back to India to own this beauty.I don't know about the USA though.

Oh wait, i just re-read your post. I think carrier-sold versions are way cheaper in any country. But the one i bought was sim free.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb