OBD II reader/logger app?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried OBD auto doctor? I just played with the app and my bluetooth dongle, works good. I prefer obd autodoctor over the others since I was able to verify that it's working before doing the purchase. Recommend! OBDAutoDoctor | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Two thumbs up on this app. Bought a cheap BT sensor on eBay for $8 and it works perfectly. Had to pay the $7.99 for the Pro version to view my sensor data in real time, but it was worth every penny.

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I'm doing any wrong here, but it did not work. When I hooked up into the car, power, OBD, and PC lights flashing. Then after that, the Power light was the only thing that on.
When I tried to pair it up with my Nokia 920, it did ask for the code, and paired up just fine. However, the connection only stay on for like 15sec, and it went back to not connected.
My car is Toyota Venza 2011.

Wow, they jacked up the price but it's still worth it. Super Mini Blue ELM327 V1 5 OBD2 OBDII Bluetooth Adapter Scanner Torque Android | eBay

It also came with a mini-dvd with software for different OSes. I even installed it on my old Palm TX with the Palm .prc files in the dvd.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if I'm doing any wrong here, but it did not work. When I hooked up into the car, power, OBD, and PC lights flashing. Then after that, the Power light was the only thing that on.
When I tried to pair it up with my Nokia 920, it did ask for the code, and paired up just fine. However, the connection only stay on for like 15sec, and it went back to not connected.
My car is Toyota Venza 2011.

I'm not a flag-waving patriot but I only buy American cars. I'm sure Toyota is onboard with OBDII so it may be a connection glitch. I do remember that the typical "0000" pin did not work. I had to use "1234" to get a good pairing. The app takes about 15-20 seconds to establish a link with the onboard computer and then starts downloading data to the phone. Also, don't close the app by hitting the Windows key and try to re-open the app because the uplink is lost. Do your pairing from the BT settings then open the app.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not a flag-waving patriot but I only buy American cars. I'm sure Toyota is onboard with OBDII so it may be a connection glitch. I do remember that the typical "0000" pin did not work. I had to use "1234" to get a good pairing. The app takes about 15-20 seconds to establish a link with the onboard computer and then starts downloading data to the phone. Also, don't close the app by hitting the Windows key and try to re-open the app because the uplink is lost. Do your pairing from the BT settings then open the app.

All US purchased cars after 1996 are OBDII. It's part of emissions standards and includes the secondary o2 sensor (after the catalytic converter).

EDIT: Maybe this page will help...
http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

MDboyz

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Lolz ...

So it doesn't work with the free version. After I bought the app, it connected right away and worked well.

Thanks,

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I've been out of the business for over 20 years but I still do my own work. Beats the heck out of using an oscilloscope and timing light.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
fatclue_98, what phone are you using? I bought a BAFXPro device and it would not pair to my 920. Just wondering if I'll have better luck with this OBD device ...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
fatclue_98, what phone are you using? I bought a BAFXPro device and it would not pair to my 920. Just wondering if I'll have better luck with this OBD device ...

I'm using a Lumia 620 (AIO Wireless). As you can see, myself and MDboyz have had success.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, I can report that this device will not pair with an AT&T Nokia 920. The symptoms are: the 920 BT menu will discover the OBDII device and say "tap to pair". You tap and the menu will ask for the code. I type 1234 and the menu then says connecting and then connected. 10 secs. later, it will say not connected. I don't even need to launch an app. The issue is just getting the device to pair.

Since I also bought the BAFXPro OBDII device and it also connects for 10 secs. and then disconnects, I'm going to conclude that there's a problem with the BT implementation in the AT&T 920. I'm thinking/hoping/dreaming/praying the Amber update will fix this BT issue. :)

Interestingly, my 920 pairs just fine with my Motorola H17 earphone, and my 2007 BMW, so some BT stuff works.

air2liquid

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
That is the normal behavior for an OBD2 adapter on your WP8. Once you have it paired, and even if it disconnects, open your OBD2 application and it will find the adapter in the list of Bluetooth connections and start the connection again.

At least that's how AutoGaugeX and Dash works.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
air2liquid, thanks, OBDAutoDoctor doesn't work like that. Tried it again to be sure and it will lose the BT connection just as I reported in the BT menu and app is unable to report anything as it has no connections.

But because of curiosity, I tried a trial copy of AutoGaugeX and you're right, it does work. The app actually wants the OBD device to be DISconnected and then the app does some hocus-pocus connection magic and I was able to stay connected and get real time car data. I bought the app and I was able to see error codes. I have to agree with one of the reviews of AutoGaugeX and that is there's a 1 sec delay from real-time in the gauges, for example, RPMs. Also, AGX reports an error code but when I used Torque on my wife's Note 2 with the BAFX device and it reported no errors. Hmmm, I'll have to dig deeper into that. But thank you again!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
That is the normal behavior for an OBD2 adapter on your WP8. Once you have it paired, and even if it disconnects, open your OBD2 application and it will find the adapter in the list of Bluetooth connections and start the connection again.

At least that's how AutoGaugeX and Dash works.

That's how the OBDAutoDoctor works too. The dongle is powered by the car's circuitry but it will not maintain a connection unless the app itself is running.

As for the delay, I suspect that's a bluetooth issue. Every BT keyboard, mouse or remote I've ever used has a slight delay.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo