Creating separate folders for pictures?

perseides

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Can any1 tell me how to create separate folders for pictures..?
I work in the medical profession and usually i need to take pictures of wounds etc and forward it to my supervisors for review. The problem is, all the pics will show up in the front tiles at the front page.... and its not really nice to hav pictures rotting wounds or bone sticking out in the front page.

I tried fiddling ard the phone but cant seem to find a way to create a folder to isolate the pics. any suggestion??

Note: i found some app which will separate personal pictures and lock them up. i dun really need dat, its too inconvenient.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I use Photo Lock by MoiC4 and haven't had any issues, its $0.99 in the app store

There are many other free and paid photo locker apps, some with lots of good reviews. Search the app store for "Photo Locker" or a phrase like that.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Here is how I do it.

Upload pics to skydrive (can also be done via pc) create folders on skydrive and move your pics into desired folders. These folders than appear on your phone under albums.

i have one folder set to favourites and these are the only pictures that appear in my live tile.

perseides

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the swift reply. i ll try the upload to skydrive method... but is there an easier way? lol
but for the time-being, as long as i can keep the appetite killing pics off my screen shud b fine..

*edit: is there any file manager program coming soon?

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I haven't found an easier way but perhaps someone else has?

The only problem with this method is that you have to go into skydive and move pics now and again to have them in the correct folders.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
On mine the only photos that cycle through the live tile are photos that I have set to favorite. So you can do the skydrive upload and sort the photos into their respective folder or select some photos as a favorite. Just make sure the work photos are not selected as favorite.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
>Perseides
An easy way which I used to create files in the Photo App folders is to just connect your phone via the USB-USBmini cable that came w/the HTC8x to your Desktop/Laptop computer. The phone appears in the 'My Computer' folder(Windows XP) or similiar where your Drives are listed. It should appear as 'Windows Phone' and can be accessed/explored as any other USB storage device folder via Windows Explorer. Inside that folder is a 'Phone' folder..which itself contains: 'Documents', 'Music', 'Pictures', 'Ringtones' and 'Videos' folders.

Inside that 'Pictures' folder are 'Camera Roll', 'Sample Pictures' and 'Saved Pictures' sub-folders. Note: the 'Camera Roll' and 'Saved Pictures' sub-folders *might* only be created by default after you've actually used the phone camera to take a photo and or saved a picture via an App or other useage. ie those two folders *might* be auto-generated.. I don't know for sure, but I think I remember not seeing them there initially.

In any event, you can easily create new folders....name them what-you-will in the 'Pictures' folder and they will appear as newly named folders in the Windows Phone 8 Photo App in the 'Albums' sub-folder selection...where you can select any picture within to save/sync to Skydrive, Delete or Share as well as include in 'Favorites' folder'. Any picture in those newly created folders may also be used as a background in the Photo App as well and likely in any other App that utilizes the 'Photo' App's 'Pictures' folder allocation.

Note: the 'Favorites' sub-folder does not show up in the Desktop USB storage device folder within the 'Pictures' folder. My guess is that it's simply tagged as a 'Favorite' and not actually stored in a physical 'Favorites' folder...ie the 'Favorites' folder *may* not even exist. The Fav pics may be simply tagged as such via a shortcut or somesuch.

And you can easily Drag and Drop any number of pictures/photos into(or out of) any of those sub-folders. The same goes for your Music folder and any music files you want to transfer from your Desktop/Laptop to your Windows Phone...or Documents, Videos or Ringtones that you might have and want to access from your phone.

This has worked easily and flawlessly for me using Windows XP but there is also a handy dandy desktop Windows Phone App available for Windows 7 and Windows 8 Desktops that also provides a syncing service to your Windows Phone 8 . Available from Microsoft here:
Windows Phone app for desktop (Preview 2) | Windows Phone 8 | Windows Phone How-to | Windows Phone (United States)

Hope this is helpful.

Edit to add...
Also a 'Screenshot' folder is auto-created in the 'Pictures' folder the first time you take a Screenshot (Windows + Power button)

Last edited:

Nilesh Somani

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If they don't wanna provide file manager, its fine. But some features like move, create album, managing playlist should be made available. I wish the new build(8.1) makes wp8 more mature.

Ankitaben Patel

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I am using nokia lumia 1530. I tried to create new folder for my pictures as you directed above. But when i open my photo gallery, it is not visible. Even i tried it by restarting phone. Is there something i am missing here? :unhappysweat:

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Ok...this is an old thread. Much has changed over time and system updates. Doesn't seem to be a way to create a new folder directly in the Photots app...however...
Here seems to be the current methods....

1. Via phone, using Microsoft's free 'Files' app (file manager). On phone, open 'Files' app and select 'phone' storage bar graphic. Open 'Pictures' (or any other folder desired), select bottom menu, left 'new folder' icon.

2. Via OneDrive (either from PC or phone, assuming you've enabled synching from phone to OneDrive cloud). In OneDrive, go to 'All Files > 'Pictures' folder (not 'Photos')....from there, '...' menu at bottom gives a 'create a new folder' option.

Hope this is helpful

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6