Nokia Lumia 920 Compass calibration issue

Sam Wong

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I received my Lumia 920 for 2 weeks but just noticed that there is something wrong with the compass. I started Nokia City Lens and from time to time it asks me to calibrate the compass but it never work. I downloaded a few compass apps and they don't work at all.

Can I say there is hardware issue with my phone? Any suggestion?

tokss

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Same like me,im very dissapointed for nokia about this issue,i like the phone but i cannot using the gps so sad

robert_p_king

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Those with issues, where in the world are you located?

There is a known bug in WP7 which affects southern-hemisphere folk like myself where the compass is out by about 100 degrees. This makes cool apps like City Lens completely useless.

I will be VERY disappointed if this bug has made it through to WP8.

deuxani

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm in The Netherlands and my compass also doesnt work. Even worse, because of the compass not being able to calibrate, Gmaps drains my battery in the background when the compass is not turned off.

Waigani

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I had similar nokia city lens/compass issues, instructing me to calibrate my compass everytime I launched Nokia City Lens. Compass Apps were also not functioning.

The issues got solved when I took my L920 out of the leather case that I was using at the time, apparently the magnet latch and metal in the leather case were interfering with the compass mechanism inside the phone.

I haven't had any issues since I changed my phone case with silicone material.

CalmLight

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
The compass went wrong. Phone had to be replaced, at 2nd time of asking.
Is it possible this was caused by magnetic charging plate?
Please does anyone know, before I use the plate again?

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Actually, the device will prompt you to calibrate the compass if you move it near metals. To test, try to calibrate it again and put any metal near the device, you will receive a message to do calibration again. I think this is a basic knowledge on how to use a compass: avoid your phone near any metal that interferes with the compass if you don't want to recalibrate the compass..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea