Are most folks happy with their 8X?

monels11

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I love mine I just don't trust the build... I already have a raised corner and light leakage as well as creaking when pressing certain points of the device. I might consider getting a replacement that I hope can actually last (these posts about the dye wearing off are making me nervous).

Niek Janssens

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I really love this phone.
My previous phone was the iphone 4s so I expected some startup problems getting user to a new phone and OS but didn't have any! Won't go back to iOS anytime soon!

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
What charging beep? Mine does not beep while its charging and I charge it every night right on my nightstand so I would know! And my notifications don't disappear. Voice turn-by-turn navigation is now available for free as well with Nokia Drive +. And I don't find it "un intuitive" at all. I'm quite happy with my 8X.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I am mostly happy with my 8x but there are two obvious areas that irk me:
-Battery life is poor. I plug in my 8x every night before I go to bed to ensure I have enough juice for the next day. It's not a hardhsip to do it but it doesn't add to the experience either.
-HTC apps for WP8 MIA. Very disappointed with the lack of HTC apps for WP8. It was hardly stella on WP7 but for WP8, HTC have totally not bothered. Really miss my DLNA app from my HD7.

rew001

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Really only a couple issues with this phone, but in my opinion they are big:

1. Phone over all, feels locked down. Very "iphoney"....
2. Needs separate volume controls, i.e. ringer, in call volume, media, etc.
3. Needs some sort of profiling. Needs the ability to adjust above volumes on a time schedule or something similiar. Even smart phones that don't have this feature built in (blackberrys, iphone's DND feature) have apps to allow for this function. (android)
4. Need ability to set custom tones for notifications. The only thing you can set a custom ringer for right now is the phone ringer itself.
5. This goes without saying but the phone needs more dev support. Apps are lacking. I realize this version of the OS is in it's fledgling stage.
6. Personally, the phone did not perform well for me regarding bluetooth in my vehicle. It connected to UConnect fine, but all outgoing transmissions were static filled. People complained they couldn't hear me.

Build quality is great. Battery life is adequate. Screen is beautiful. Love the live tiles. And other than the above issues, the phone is top notch.

Until this OS matures and Microsoft feels the need to add these "features" that have been on other smartphones for years, this OS isn't for me and in my opinion isn't ready for any significant market share. I have gone back to android for the time being.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ricotter

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy overall, but there are a couple of issues that bother me.
1. The app store does not tell me when apps need updates.
2. Still no Portico from Bell.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I really liked the 8x but in the end I returned it and these are the reasons why.

1. No email attachment capability for documents within the email app.
2. Battery life, it is great if you leave the brightness on low, but put it on high and it is like watching a Hummer guzzle gas.
3. No way to increase standby time over 10 minutes. This is a real pain when driving long distances and streaming Slacker or Music and have to struggle to turn the device back on, even when it is connected to a power source.
4. No navigation and the expensive market apps aren't worth the cost.
5. Charging beep when placing on wireless charger or plugging in power cord.
6. No way to change voice mail login to include the password on Verizon phones. Creates safety hazard while driving.
7. Notifications disappear too quickly.
8. Very limited email and Office functionality.
9. Unintuitive multitasking.
10. Coating started to rub off in two weeks.
1. I haven't noticed a problem with document attachments. What kind of file extensions are giving you a problem?
2. Battery life is not great, but not terrible either. I get 12+ hours with moderate-heavy use on mine with the screen brightness on auto.
3. Haven't tried this yet.
4. Nokia Drive works on the 8x :)
5. ermmm, ok
6. None of my Androids did this either. Maybe it's a Verizon thing.
7. ermmm, ok
8. I agree with this.
9. Unintuitive?
10. I put mine in an S-line case the week I got it (which is awesome btw).

The phone is great. It has its shortcomings, but no more than any other phone. Its pros far outweigh the cons.

barne19801

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
For the phone i would say the only thing that bothers me particularly is the power button. Its just rubbish, hard to feel and hard to press. The rest is os stuff. Oh i think the camera could be quicker but its a niggle really.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
#4. On rew001's list. "Can't set ringtone for anything but the phone ringer."

Not true - I'm looking at my settings right now and I can pick a separate tone for ringtone, text or IM, voicemail, and email. And I have!

And as I've already said, I have no beeping while its charging. Hmmmm....

Do we even have the same phone?? :-/

GMaster7

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love mine. It's slick, I love WP8, it does everything well, it's fast, the battery life is great - coming from an HTC Thunderbolt w/ Android, the only complaint I have is that I miss some of my old apps (TD Bank, Yahoo! Fantasy Sports, etc.), but those will come in time. I'm so happy that I made the switch to WP8 and picked this phone specifically. It's eye-catching and I get a ton of comments on it, so I'm always showing it off.

romeze

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am on my third 8x, first two had audio defects and my current 8x is totally crap. Blackened edges, choppy/distorted audio, screen freezes and erratic battery life. I am currently fighting with Verizon and hope to receive a different phone soon.

reckoner79

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm currently selling my 8x on eBay and plan on buying an 820. I know the screen resolution is crap compared to the 8x, but the AMOLED clearblack screen makes up for it and the exclusive apps you get with Nokia are worth it.

rew001

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
#4. On rew001's list. "Can't set ringtone for anything but the phone ringer."

Not true - I'm looking at my settings right now and I can pick a separate tone for ringtone, text or IM, voicemail, and email. And I have!

And as I've already said, I have no beeping while its charging. Hmmmm....

Do we even have the same phone?? :-/

Where did I say "Can't set ringtone for anything but the phone ringer." ?????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

clindhartsen

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
It's a great device for the month and a half I've had it. Battery typically lasts my day, then I put it on a wireless charger for the night (I'm on Verizon). The reboot bug has hit me twice, but otherwise hasn't reappeared. I've had no issues with the coating and simply love how this phone feels compared to the RAZR I had previously.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I had mine for like month now, I love Windows phone concept and the Device itself is amazing, had the reboot bug once, slight dark tint on the corners, but everything else is wonderful, greatly built phone, amazing screen ( my friend switched to it from a nexus phone just by seeing the screen on my phone ) and the app thing is what hold it down, Nokia boys ... Its just a matter of time when the EXCLUSIVE apps u had becomes available for everyone.

Darryl Thomas

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Very happy so far. I've had mine for a day and it's great. I mostly use my phone for calling. Surprise! And Internet. The social networking linkage is well done.

six6xis

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got my 8X this weekend. I was on the fence waiting for the Blackberry and possibly going to AT&T for the 920. I eventually signed up for the T-Mobile value plan and got the 8X. I'm really happy with the phone but I did notice my battery was draining pretty fast for the last day. I remembered i installed the Skype Beta and I just now reinstalled it before putting it on the charger. I'll see if it makes a difference.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234