Multiple Problems - Software Issues, Hardware Issues or just being an idiot?

EmptySpaces

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi there.

A little bit new to all this, but here it goes. I am more or less completely new to the Windows Mobile OS, having just received a Nokia Lumia 820 for Christmas after 3 years of using an iPhone. While my initial experience with the phone was highly positive, within a few days of using it I have come across several severe issues that have made me severely question both the phone and OS. As a result I was wondering if there is ANYONE out there who could possibly shed some light as to whether the problems I'm experiencing are common, what may be causing them and what solutions there may be, or whether it is al just down to me not knwoing what I'm doing?

1. Music Syncing
Hving used an iPhone for the last 3 years, I was pleased to find that I could sync my music collection in iTunes via the Windows Phone PC app. I started off by syncing a sample of my collection (approx 3000 songs) to the phone with no issues. However once I tried to access it on the phone, I discovered that many of my albums had been split up by the Music App on the Lumia apparently 'updating' random tracks. Through research I gathered that this is a fairly common issue and through some experiemntation thought I had found a way to solve the issue by telling the phone not to use XBox Music to update tracks. Seeing as al the msusic I'd initially loaded was already affected, I took it all off and started to sync again. However, this time, while the first 2200 songs where synced fine (in around 2 hours), the rate of transfer dropped drastically to almost loading songs real-time, until it was taking around 3 minutes per song. With over 600 songs still to sync I was therefore forced to cancel the sync. I then tried syncing in smaller batches, but when I tried individual albums I receieved an error message saying the files 'were not found' and when I tried individual playlists songs were duplicated when searched for by artist and many sogs did not even appear in the playlist itself.

2. Sound Loss
A few fays after my attempts at syncing music, I suffered a seemingly random loss of sound. I realised that I was not receiving any sort of notification of when texts were arriving, and only became aware of it when I hapened to look at my screen. Once I looked into it, I found that it seemed ALL sound had been lost - apart from, oddly enough, the keyboard sounds. This included ringtones, previews of selected ringtones (which still do not seem to work) and the Nokia Drive voice. I checked all the settings and could find no reason for them not to be on. Most of these were rectified by a reboot of the phone.

3. Could not Make or Receive Calls
The next problem occured when I attempted to make a call. When dialling, the phone did not ring, and then connected for around 10 seconds to seemingly nothing. Expermentig with a friend, I found this would happen regardless of whether the person I was calling picked up or not, and if they did they could not hear me and vice versa. Similaly, if I was called, despite connecting we could not hear each other at all. Again, fixed by a reboot but not something i want to have to keep doing.

4. Unable to Save Photos
When attempting to take photos, I have found that they do not seem to save in the camera roll folder (or anywhere else). On taking a photo, the camera app would automatically boot me back to the home screen after a few seconds. If I then went on the photos app, the menu would fade as if about to open the app, but would instead just reload the main menu. When I then tried again, the photo app would open up, but no photos I attempted to take were anywhere to be found. Still unresolved.

5. Keyboard Disappearing

The latest issue is that when attempting to type in forms on internet explorer, upon selecting on the area to type the keyboard will appear and then sometimes immediately disappear, making typing impossible.

Apologies for such a long post, but I am really quite upset over having so many issues with a phone I was really excited about using, and am now wondering if I have made the right choice. Part of me hopes that it is just me not fully understanding how to use the new software, but I fear there may be more severe issues at hand.

Any help and advise would be extremely welcome! Thank you!

okkyraditya

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
4. Unable to Save Photos
When attempting to take photos, I have found that they do not seem to save in the camera roll folder (or anywhere else). On taking a photo, the camera app would automatically boot me back to the home screen after a few seconds. If I then went on the photos app, the menu would fade as if about to open the app, but would instead just reload the main menu. When I then tried again, the photo app would open up, but no photos I attempted to take were anywhere to be found. Still unresolved.

Are you using SD card? And saving all pictures and videos taken directly to SD card? Because I have similar issue when I'm record video at 1080p, when I'm done recording the camera app crash and boot me back to homescreen and my recorded video is gone, just like nothing happened

EmptySpaces

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I am indeed using an SD card, and i found out today through experimenting that telling the phone to save new pictures,to the internal memory instead of the card allowed photos to be saved as normal. But why is this? It seems ridiculous to provide the option to save to the SD card if its not actually possible, and i would rather save on my internal memory if at all possible.

okkyraditya

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I am indeed using an SD card, and i found out today through experimenting that telling the phone to save new pictures,to the internal memory instead of the card allowed photos to be saved as normal. But why is this? It seems ridiculous to provide the option to save to the SD card if its not actually possible, and i would rather save on my internal memory if at all possible.

What brand and what class is your SD card? Please refer to this thread which is work and which is doesn't

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1. It's same for me too. I can't sync playlists across, nor create playlists on the go.

4.It's a software bug, many users are experiencing it. Playing back 1080p videos on my SD Card makes it choppy. It takes 5-6s for the photo to finish processing on mine, before I can take the next shot.

5. Some websites are annoying. For example, if I try to create a thread on WPCentral using the browser, the keyboard shows up for 1-2 seconds and then disappear. No problems on any other sites.

hyhman

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Get rick of it!
U can just put it on hold for half an year and you will have updates from microsoft to refresh the phone, and every problem will be fixed.
:grin:

swissTJ

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
3. Could not Make or Receive Calls
The next problem occured when I attempted to make a call. When dialling, the phone did not ring, and then connected for around 10 seconds to seemingly nothing. Expermentig with a friend, I found this would happen regardless of whether the person I was calling picked up or not, and if they did they could not hear me and vice versa. Similaly, if I was called, despite connecting we could not hear each other at all. Again, fixed by a reboot but not something i want to have to keep doing.

Did you try using the 'speaker' setting? I have a very similar sounding problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)