Poor battery life, only 14 hours fully charged

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
That battery percentage is a mere estimate that the program calculates and you hadn't even started using the phone so I'd ignore it. If you leave your phone there and it dies within 10-14 hours, I'd be concerned but I doubt that's actually going to happen.

The Focus I'm on does that time to time as well but usually when it says it'll die in an hour, it ends up becoming 4-5 so it is really an estimate depending on what activity you were doing right before you checked the phone (watching stuff on Netflix for makes the estimate nose-dive for example). I'd do some real world testing before demanding a replacement.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Put the phone in aeroplane mode for a bit and monitor for a bit. That way you can guarantee the phone is as idol as possible.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Board Express

SergeMcG

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I read this on a Nokia forum and the battery is lasting much much longer, the last point I believe is the most important one..
also make sure you properly close any games.

"How do I check if an app is still running?
Press and hold your phone's back button, this will display the list of currently open apps.

How do I close an app properly?
Close apps by pressing the back button as many times as necessary until the start screen or app menu is displayed. If you simply press the Start key, Drive remains open and running in the background.

Are there other precautions that I can take?
If you wish, you can prevent Drive from running in the background.by following these steps:
Open Settings and scroll sideways to Applications
Select Background tasks
Select Nokia Drive
Select Block"

Louis Lau

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys I had my nokia 920 from mid november. I read that someone discharge their battery and charge it back up, in that case its not really the right way of charging these Lithium polymer battery. I have read that these kind of batteries should not be discharge at all. These batteries need to be topped up and charge around the 30-40 percent mark. When not in use put the phone in the charger. Eventually the battery will get better with more charges and should never be uncharged. Uncharged battery will lose their cells over time especially when the phone is turn off so best way is to keep it topped up to pro long the life of battery. Im averaging 1 day 6 hours on standby some times more like 3 days.

Setting of phone: 1) NFC Off
2) Location Off
3) Microsoft Account Setting -Download new email content daily.
4) Bluetooth Off
5) Battery Saver On -Advance when battery is low.
6) Brightness Medium
7) Wifi Off
8) Application Backgrounds On for these apps -Battery Info - CNN - Weather - BBC News

Hopes this helps

Last edited:

dlusted

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, pre-portico I was getting maybe 18hrs med to heavy use.
After installing Portico, I'm 13hrs since last charge with 46% left....

Have Wifi, Radio, Location, 4 apps in background, brightness on auto, email sync every hour and still same amount of use!

Think the battery issues boil down to apps. I know when I had Weather and Battery Status installed, both of them zipped my battery in maybe 8hrs with light use.....

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the app issue. Some apps are horribly coded. Surprisingly, the WPcentral app live tile is bad for my battery. Disabling the live tile bumped my average battery life from 15 hours to 25+ hours. Also, disable location settings. It drains the battery during idle mode.

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am having some problems with my battery on my Lumia 920.. I have read on this forum on everything I can find, and have asked Nokia and read on their Troubleshooting guide.

I have turned off all background tasks except myBattery, the internet sharing, Bluetooth, tap+send, location, kid's corner, and all of that is set to off. I have the display+touch sensitivity set to normal (but I can use gloves and keys with both Normal and High sensitivity...). I have completely removed the Google account from the phone, as I have read in this forum could use a lot of battery, so I'm only using the Microsoft account, Twitter, Facebook, Nokia account and I have also added Outlook.com separate from the Microsoft account (just because of the icon on the live tile).

The screen is always off, and I don't use any lock screen apps, I only have a single photo on my lock screen.

I have also turned Connect with Xbox off in the Xbox Live.

My phone always charges over night, and it's now fully charged with 100%, and estimated time remaining says 13 hours, and time since last charge is less than 1 hour. I think this is very very low! What is wrong, I have done everything possible for getting the battery increased. Some solutions for me?

wtf? dude that's great, mine barely lasts 6hours with almost everything off (including data) besides wifi.

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I reached an all time high (low?) today. I took my phone off the charger and an hour of baconit (reddit reader) using the flip mode it went down to 25%. I may just leave my reddit browsing to my Surface.

kennethsd

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I know what you're talking about. Everytime I charge my battery overnight and unplug it in the morning, my estimated battery will be 16hrs (the highest) when before I charged it, I was havingover 1 day. I know the estimated battery is wrong and shouldn't be much of a concern, but this is pretty annoying since it will not change back even if I drain it completely. The only way it will go back is if I do a hard reset, which I've done 3 times and is annoying as ****.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I know what you're talking about. Everytime I charge my battery overnight and unplug it in the morning, my estimated battery will be 16hrs (the highest) when before I charged it, I was havingover 1 day. I know the estimated battery is wrong and shouldn't be much of a concern, but this is pretty annoying since it will not change back even if I drain it completely. The only way it will go back is if I do a hard reset, which I've done 3 times and is annoying as ****.

Are you sure this reading is not adaptive based on use? After hard reset it has no data so it will give you huge numbers. After some use it has info with which to base time on. It has to be set up this way or it would never be accurate.

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
13-14 hours on a smart phone that is actually used, is pretty good IMO. If you barely use the phone and "only" get 13 hours of battery, then does it matter since the phone is barely used ? I use mine throughout the day, email forums various apps ie10, and can get 9-10 hours. Sometimes I throw it on the car charger at lunch, sometimes I dont. Its a smart phone and with normal use isn't going to last days on a single charge.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I was only getting 14 hours too. Then I stopped using my phone for games, and disabled all gaming updates. Now I get 30 hours, and drop 1%/hr in standby. Games are dumb anyway.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa