Battery Drain Problem is Nokia Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ok, so I believe I have found the source of my battery drain and I need some others experiencing this to try something: Uninstall Nokia Music app.

How I discovered - well my new 920 kept draining faster than I'd expect, so I uninstalled all apps that I had put on it and it still drained 1.5%/hour. I then decided to see if factory default settings also drained the battery so did a phone reset. It still did. At this point only a few background apps were installed so I uninstalled them one by one. Bingo. Nokia Music. Overnight I went to bed with 27% battery and this morning woke up with 27% battery. And... I also verified this on my wife's phone by uninstalling it on hers last night. 100% last night, 100% this morning.

Would like a few others to confirm this if possible. Thanks.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is horrible. What's the point of buying a smartphone if you need to turn everything off to get it to work. Microsoft/Nokia needs to up their game. They dropped the ball on this one.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Nice find if verified. I don't need Nokia music as I have a Zune Pass so I can live without. Not ideal for others though.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No problems here. I'm on hour number 22 of my last charge and i'm sitting at 48% remaining and I stream/play a ton of music from Nokia Music.

In reality it's more than likely not a specific app as others have had similar results by removing different apps. It's just the OS and Software hanging up and causing processes to run when not needed or not shutting down correctly so it causes extra drain.

My first phone before the replacement was Nokia drive. If I had it installed mine would drain like crazy. My replacement though so far has not done that and battery life has been stellar.

newfiend

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree that think It's more of an OS issue where apps get hung up running in the background looping and can't exit properly. Since portico its better but not totally fixed. I hate having to disable all my background tasks to just keep the battery for a day. What's the point of having live tiles if they can't populate and update??? Their more like dead tiles.. Kinda sucks. Something with the OS doesn't let my apps exit correctly or suspend correctly causing premature battery drain. IMO MS needs to look into why this happens and fix it asap.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Last edited:

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I found the same as you - my battery is drained 1.5%/hour (when I am not using the phone).
I don't play music on my mobile so I just removed Nokia Music. Then we will see ...

anon(5395037)

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Music is just a shell with additional options ? After turning off this app music still plays. I think thats its not the nokia music itself but the player built in wp8 that stays always in background after playing music. I think that this process in not properly paused when phone is in standby mode.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
ok, so this is going to sounds odd, but after a perfect night with no drain I decided this morning to re-install the app to check the battery drain again and upload a graph showing the difference. But it doesn't. My phone is still 27% after 2 more hours of having Nokia Music reloaded. Now it is possible that uninstalling and reinstalling from the app store changed something or placed a different version of the app on the phone.

I will likely do a reset again in a minute and see if it goes back to the drain state. I am assuming that this issue is not entirely black and white given that many people say their phone has no battery drain issue anyway.

Either way, I know this: I did a reset, uninstalled all apps (4 I think) listed in the background apps/advanced and the drain stopped.

Edit: I do also know that my wife's phone without a reset stayed 100% overnight after Nokia Music was uninstalled. So there is consistency across 2 phones here.

helsten2

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled Nokia Music, but no difference here - my battery is still drained 1.5%/hour (when I am not using the phone).

V J

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Am I missing something?? Is 1.5%/hour drain bad?? I thought having 1%/hour drain was surprisingly good standby time considering its "standby" meaning its still connected to the network and getting push updates. Isn't it natural for the battery to drain a little since it's not like the phone is turned off?

Mr Manson

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
No problem here. Right now I have been listening to Nokia Music for like 2 hours non-stop and the battery drain has been the way if Nokia Music wouldn't have been running.

Bataar

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
1.5% definitely seems like a good thing. My phone (my 3rd one) is getting better but everynow and then craps out the battery life. Just today, after being off the charger for 3.5 hours, it was down to only 53% battery and that's with 0 use. Don't know why it was different today.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
ok, so I believe I have found the source of my battery drain and I need some others experiencing this to try something: Uninstall Nokia Music app.

How I discovered - well my new 920 kept draining faster than I'd expect, so I uninstalled all apps that I had put on it and it still drained 1.5%/hour. I then decided to see if factory default settings also drained the battery so did a phone reset. It still did. At this point only a few background apps were installed so I uninstalled them one by one. Bingo. Nokia Music. Overnight I went to bed with 27% battery and this morning woke up with 27% battery. And... I also verified this on my wife's phone by uninstalling it on hers last night. 100% last night, 100% this morning.

Would like a few others to confirm this if possible. Thanks.

I was just coming in here to post and confirm this. My battery life is awesome until I use Nokia Music (usually through BT) and then it just tanks, like 10%/hour. What's odd is, going into Nokia Music and closing it using the back button seems to have no effect. Only a reboot will kill it and return battery life to normal. This means that I have to either stop using Nokia Music (which I like), or reboot my phone at least once a day (which I don't like).

Very frustrating. Anyone else know a better trick to kick the app out of memory?

adamantinepiggy

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I was griping about the Nokia music player in a different thread. I found that if I start my playlist (either with the Nokia or Music-Player) but "backed out" of the player once the music started playing, the battery life was MUCH better than if I left either player open. The Music-Player app was better in this regard than the Nokia app, but still drained more than if I backed out. I think they try to constantly sync cover art, music lists, or something in the background. And btw: I only play MP3's I downloaded to the phone from my PC. I don't do any of the online listening services stuff.

Mr Manson

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I take my earlier post back. I also see my battery is draining much faster after I run nokia music. Eventhough I "close" it ( back back to main screen)..hmm..thats shame. I was really enjoying nokia music but now I am afraid to open it. i am going to uninstall it until it is fixed :(

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I tested this with Slacker last night and had the same issue. Maybe it isn't Nokia Music specifically, but some component they both use that causes a background drain. I killed Bluetooth and it had no effect on the drain, which leads me to believe it's something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok... so some more details on this. Pics to backup my experience.

Good news is, this is repeatable.

Wed: Reset phone again (Settings/About/Reset) restoring to clean OS including Nokia Music. This was the first overnight battery graph (from Battery Stats):

wp_ss_20130103_0003.png

You can see where overnight, the battery declined around 1.5%/hour, using 10% of battery while doing 'nothing'... this happens ALL day but is easiest to see at night.

I then uninstalled Nokia Music before charging.

Note that ffter this reset, I did reinstall many apps including some that use location services. I kept away from those with 'known' battery issues like WhatsApp and Nokia Drive. I had around 6 Mail accounts on the device with 4 with live EAS email, 2 with hourly.

Here is when I then charged the phone through to today:

wp_ss_20130104_0001.png

You can see I let it charge a while and then decided to use it so the level was not at 100% - the phone stays at 100% longer than other levels and I consider that artificially held high.

I installed a few more apps, played some games and made the mistake of installed Nokia Drive during that time.

You can see that after Drive had been run and the phone was idle, with no route entered, clearly the GPS was still on using power (and the phone even felt warm). So I uninstalled Drive before going to bed last night and that restored low usage.

The flat line is the phone with no Nokia music (and no Drive), no Whatsapp or Skype, but still has many email accounts and other apps (games like Wordament, Sudoku) and news like (BBC and USAToday) installed.

So... this is a repeated experiment with screenshots showing that 1.5% / hour is unnecessary on this phone, and should not be expected.

Apps like Nokia Music (my initial focus), but also Nokia Drive use significant power when they should not. I would guess Drive leaves the GPS on given the power usage. Music, well it's anyone's guess, but an idle music app playing no music should not do this.

And... I believe if my experiment holds out and reproduces exactly, reinstalling Nokia Music now from the store will likely show 0 usage. So either the store version is different with this bug fixed, or a second install fixes something broken during the initial device setup.

I would guess there are a lot of phones being returned for poor battery life/getting warm due to app issues/OS bugs. This is something Nokia needs to fix ASAP if they want this platform to be successful and show its full potential, which is excellent battery performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb