Can't decide if I want to keep Nokia 920

fantom555

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nokia 920 in red and it's very nice I can't decide weather to keep it or not I have a love hate relationship with it now. I have the iPhone 5 and it's just so easy to use and simple and the apps are just simple. I bought the windows phone because of the office integration for email but other then that I am not sure now. I have been reading about the new bb10 and it may be a winner it remains to be seen. I am so confused on what I should do.

The reason I bought the windows phone is because I had a line on AT&T that I was not using and thought this phone would be great addition. Anyway just thought I would share a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What thought did you share? Seems like a pointless troll post.

I've used iPhone many times and I don't find it any easier to use than WP. In fact, on some things iOS is harder like social networking, etc. But I won't get into the specifics because you obviously don't have any.

This thread = pointless

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Let the man ask the question, many of us were undecided as well and wanted some opinions.

You want my opinion? Just return it. First of all, you already have a smartphone and you don't need another one unless you're using it for enterprise or something. WP8 is great, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. I for one, regret my decision and wish I'd gotten more input when I was deciding. Kinda wish I'd gone with Android. The software still needs to be tweaked, as there a lot of issues that many users seem to be experiencing. However, you should've known this coming into it since it's a new OS release. I'm sure the app development will come so that's not an issue you should worry about. W8 has a large amount of users, and porting an app over to WP8 is now easy with the new kernel and all.

On the other hand, you can keep it if you'd like to track WP8's progress this year. The OS IMO has some catching up to do, but if Microsoft keeps to their word and actually releases updates w/o carrier interference, then it should vastly improve. I'm keeping my 920 even though I plan on purchasing a Nexus 4 because I have some hope that Microsoft will iron out the kinks as more and more updates come. I'm sure that WP8 will eventually get some traction (In the states, I mean; globally it's performed very well.) and become very successful.

Good luck, hope I helped.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
You dont think applications on Windows Phone are easy? Name a few.
Like I said in another thread I talked with my cousin who is a diehard Apple person and told him I have a 920 and he said that that I dont have enough apps. So I challenged him to compare apps he uses every day. We went through 12 of them and I could find 10 of the same app on the windows side and the 2 that I could find was probably because I was not looking for the right name or Author to find a simulair app. He was impress with that outcome. I just curious though what apps dont you think are easy exactly? Just asking to learn.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It all comes down to apps. WP is missing many apps or just higher quality apps. IOS is established and refined. WP is a great alternative but its still young in comparison. But it all comes down to just apps and ios>WP. So if thats what's bugging you then I would suggest you go back to the iPhone. The apps are coming to WP slowly and it doesn't look like any google app will be coming. As for office, I believe MS is already working on full versions for IOS and they have wordament now. So in due time any MS app you would want on WP will end up on IOS.
I've been on the verge of going to android many times since switching from IOS to WP because of poor quality phones (lumia920) and the lack of apps or quality alternative apps to what I've been using on ios but I'm trying to hold on because I like live tiles (when they work) and wp8. So pay no attention to the morons above calling you a troll. Choose what makes more sense for you, a well established ecosystem with a billion apps or a slowly growing young ecosystem that has great potential. I wish you luck with your choice .

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
It all comes down to apps. WP is missing many apps or just higher quality apps. IOS is established and refined. WP is a great alternative but its still young in comparison. But it all comes down to just apps and ios>WP. So if thats what's bugging you then I would suggest you go back to the iPhone. The apps are coming to WP slowly and it doesn't look like any google app will be coming. As for office, I believe MS is already working on full versions for IOS and they have wordament now. So in due time any MS app you would want on WP will end up on IOS.
I've been on the verge of going to android many times since switching from IOS to WP because of poor quality phones (lumia920) and the lack of apps or quality alternative apps to what I've been using on ios but I'm trying to hold on because I like live tiles (when they work) and wp8. So pay no attention to the morons above calling you a troll. Choose what makes more sense for you, a well established ecosystem with a billion apps or a slowly growing young ecosystem that has great potential. I wish you luck with your choice .

Apps that's all its about? What about this?

-Windows Phone security this is a very secure OS with much backing from Microsoft to keep it that way.
-Single button to take a picture-genius
-Live Tiles-Love me some live tiles
-Bing search with integrated music search and text translation. How convenient one button to find out what that song is. One button to get that text translated from Spanish to English. I live in Texas I use this more than what you would think. You can even get those barcodes and tags read using Bing just under the magnifying glass.
-Photo hub with photo categories including by date, favorites, and people. "What are you kidding me you can see peoples photos in your photo hub?" Sure can just chose a contact and all there on line albums are listed for you to view. How simple is that?!
-People hub just pick a person in the hub and you can see everything about them like what's new with them, their photos and history. History what is that well that's all the calls text what ever interaction you have had with that person. Its all there-The new lock screen in WP8 deserves mention. I have the current temperature and conditions next appointment, missed email/messaging counts and digital readout of current battery level. All this with a background picture that changes every hour so I am always greeted by a new background.
-I have Bluetooth and WIFI on all the time with WIFI connected even with the screen off. I have battery level live tile on my start screen. It is great that the little signal battery icons at the top of the start screen disappear after a few seconds I don't need to looking at those all the time.
-Voice commands through Tell Me. Hands down my most used feature in WP8. I have a Bluetooth on at all times I do all my texting using voice. I even use the text to speech app to write posts for this forum.
-Visual Voicemail-This a well integrated feature basic and simple
-Text reject for phone calls. I am glad this has been added to the OS.
-XBOX integration- I play a lot of XBOX its nice to be able to check who is on line before turning on my XBOX
-XBOX music I have and get every bit of my music needs taken care of with XBOX Music. Even across the 3 screens. Was playing music on my home system with my XBOX during my Christmas party just last week.
-One Note I have to have one note
-Skydrive WOW what about that Skydrive and how it is integrated into the OS. I took some pictures of a machine I was taking apart one time. I was using my Arrive back then. I always have pictures set to upload automatically. Long story short I broke no destroyed my Arrive if those pictures hadn't been auto uploaded to Skydrive I would have been in trouble.
-Office integration I do a lot of work from my device I use office every day
-Outlook email integration with contacts, calendar, tasks, and email is top notch

Apps and hardware you say. Let's put the 920 and i5 side by side for the hardware check now.

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S3 vs. Lumia 920: spec by spec rundown - TechSpot

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You listed some good things but the software makes the platform. IOS has a larger app catalog with higher quality apps. That's what's holding back WP. That's the number one complaint among new users. Specs mean nothing. All phones basically have the same specs and phones with quad cores or 2 gigs of ram are over kill. Nothing will use that power for years. Its apps that make the platform.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You listed some good things but the software makes the platform. IOS has a larger app catalog with higher quality apps. That's what's holding back WP. That's the number one complaint among new users. Specs mean nothing. All phones basically have the same specs and phones with quad cores or 2 gigs of ram are over kill. Nothing will use that power for years. Its apps that make the platform.

For you that's great if that's all you need. For me WP offers way more than any other OS with just what's in the box. Apps will come to WP in time the gap is already getting smaller. The things that set WP apart will never come to the other OS's.

What's right for you or the OP might not be right for me that's okay. If the i5 is what you want we have a nation for that its all good. I just want to offer to the OP some facts missing from this thread. Better to make this decision with the facts in hand.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Windows guy and I love my new Samsung ATIV S WP8 😎

I say to people all the time "stay in your own eco!" I have a Microsoft eco system Office PC, PC, Xbox360, WP8 and soon ATIV Smart PC, All work together very well.
Now if you have a Mac, iPad, iPhone a full Apple eco system why add a Android or windows too the mix?
Same with Goggle Android Phone & Tablet eco system, why add Apple & Windows to it?
Why can't people pick a friendly eco system and stay in it and be happy? Why have a mix non-eco friendly system and be mad about it?
It's all about the friendly eco system! 😎

halimaw96

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Apps that's all its about? What about this?

-Windows Phone security this is a very secure OS with much backing from Microsoft to keep it that way.
-Single button to take a picture-genius
-Live Tiles-Love me some live tiles
-Bing search with integrated music search and text translation. How convenient one button to find out what that song is. One button to get that text translated from Spanish to English. I live in Texas I use this more than what you would think. You can even get those barcodes and tags read using Bing just under the magnifying glass.
-Photo hub with photo categories including by date, favorites, and people. "What are you kidding me you can see peoples photos in your photo hub?" Sure can just chose a contact and all there on line albums are listed for you to view. How simple is that?!
-People hub just pick a person in the hub and you can see everything about them like what's new with them, their photos and history. History what is that well that's all the calls text what ever interaction you have had with that person. Its all there-The new lock screen in WP8 deserves mention. I have the current temperature and conditions next appointment, missed email/messaging counts and digital readout of current battery level. All this with a background picture that changes every hour so I am always greeted by a new background.
-I have Bluetooth and WIFI on all the time with WIFI connected even with the screen off. I have battery level live tile on my start screen. It is great that the little signal battery icons at the top of the start screen disappear after a few seconds I don't need to looking at those all the time.
-Voice commands through Tell Me. Hands down my most used feature in WP8. I have a Bluetooth on at all times I do all my texting using voice. I even use the text to speech app to write posts for this forum.
-Visual Voicemail-This a well integrated feature basic and simple
-Text reject for phone calls. I am glad this has been added to the OS.
-XBOX integration- I play a lot of XBOX its nice to be able to check who is on line before turning on my XBOX
-XBOX music I have and get every bit of my music needs taken care of with XBOX Music. Even across the 3 screens. Was playing music on my home system with my XBOX during my Christmas party just last week.
-One Note I have to have one note
-Skydrive WOW what about that Skydrive and how it is integrated into the OS. I took some pictures of a machine I was taking apart one time. I was using my Arrive back then. I always have pictures set to upload automatically. Long story short I broke no destroyed my Arrive if those pictures hadn't been auto uploaded to Skydrive I would have been in trouble.
-Office integration I do a lot of work from my device I use office every day
-Outlook email integration with contacts, calendar, tasks, and email is top notch

Apps and hardware you say. Let's put the 920 and i5 side by side for the hardware check now.

iPhone 5 vs. Galaxy S3 vs. Lumia 920: spec by spec rundown - TechSpot

Meh. If you view the three OS's very objectively you'll find that some of these don't really matter.

1. Camera app on iOS and Android are easily and quickly accessed through the lockscreen.
2. All of Bing search's functions have easy alternatives on both Android and iOS.
3. Android's almost toe to toe with WP8 on lockscreen functions. How can you even make the battery tile a big deal? You can see that on Android and iOS as well from the lockscreen.
4. Tell Me is kind of like Siri. There's also Android alternatives.
5. Don't get me started on live tiles. It's most likely because the apps I have aren't WP8 optimized yet, but live tiles can really take a chunk from your battery life. Especially post-Portico. Your results may vary. Great feature, but what's the point of having a good feature that you have to turn off so you have enough battery life to last the day?
6.Skydrive alternatives: iCloud and Google Drive.

I'm not trying to bash WP8, I'm just saying that a lot of the features you mentioned aren't just unique to it. It's all a matter of which one you like more.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Look. We ultimately can't help you. If you want a "simple" phone, use iOS. It is what YOU want. My first iphone was a 4s. I got it after a droid incredible. The incredible was cool but just like WP, the app store wasn't impressive. Plus, it had crap battery life. I loved my 4S and I was drinking the cool-aid thinking android was terrible and such. I will not tell you iOS was not a great OS, it is and it has a lot of features that it took many years just to get. But it is simple. Boring(to ME). The apps...well, there are a lot of cool apps but not many I really used consistently. I decided for a change when I saw the lumia 900. I got the phone and everything was really cool but I got scared. I didn't like it because IT WAS DIFFERENT. I also thought that the app store was crap with a lot of launchers made from people with asian character names. I ended up taking it back and getting another 4S(I moved from Verizon to AT&T). I did that because while the screen was not great compared to the 4S and because I was scared of change. I have a macbook air, I use an airport extreme and I used many ipods. Everything just works. I love my macbook but I am getting fed up with the 3 hour battery life of it thanks to mountain lion and the PC side doesn't have laptops of the same build quality as apple. I love OSX but I also love windows 8, but I won't get into that.

The point is: remember why you chose to get the 920 in the first place and your reasons. Look at your app usage and if it matches mostly with what WP8 can offer. If not and it is not something you can give up, by all means take back the 920. If you want to go back to "simplicity," or what it is actually happening: you're scare of change, then do so. No one is holding you back and we cannot change what YOU want. This is why people thought or think you are a troll. They don't see a point in this post because the choice is ultimately up to yourself. You've heard all of the arguments. You know all that the 920 can offer by the initial research into the phone that you did before you got it and by browsing these forums. It is up to you. Not us.

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
For you that's great if that's all you need. For me WP offers way more than any other OS with just what's in the box. Apps will come to WP in time the gap is already getting smaller. The things that set WP apart will never come to the other OS's.

What's right for you or the OP might not be right for me that's okay. If the i5 is what you want we have a nation for that its all good. I just want to offer to the OP some facts missing from this thread. Better to make this decision with the facts in hand.
I agree that its different for everyone but like I said earlier the #1 complaint about winphone8 is the lack of apps or the lack of high quality alternatives. That's the general complaint. Also my original comment was for the op not you or anyone else.

IOS is a good mobile os and if you jailbreak your phone you can make it the best os for yourself. That's what I did and thejailbreak community is amazing. If apple used just the most popular mods/tweaks people have made then IOS would ultimately be complete.

gomezl

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
i just pick up a nokia 920...because i heard it was a great phone...Been using the Nexus devices the last 2 years...So I gave it a try...

Let me tell you ...i can't put it down...this is coming from someone who rocked Android for 2 years plus...CM10, Parandroid.xylon, aosp, aokp...android revolution....the works..

This phone is the real deal...honestly miss some apps...have managed to work around that...have been using as my daily driver for the past month...sweet device...really like recommed it to anyone...THe camera...OMGOSH...insane...im out..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss