Can't decide if I want to keep Nokia 920

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I wish every troll post like this got deleted by the mods. I want this forum to be constructive criticism by people who actually intend to keep a Windows Phone. I have a Lumia 900 and the reason I'm happy with it is controlled expectations. I don't expect it to do everything an iPhone can do, and that's ok for me.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You listed some good things but the software makes the platform. IOS has a larger app catalog with higher quality apps. That's what's holding back WP. That's the number one complaint among new users. Specs mean nothing. All phones basically have the same specs and phones with quad cores or 2 gigs of ram are over kill. Nothing will use that power for years. Its apps that make the platform.

If specs mean nothing why does Apple tout their latest Ax processor, retina display, super-light & thin IF it's just about the apps? The reason the iPhone is such a smash is the total package of industrial design, high-end processor, high resolution display and large app catalog.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
If specs mean nothing why does Apple tout their latest Ax processor, retina display, super-light & thin IF it's just about the apps? The reason the iPhone is such a smash is the total package of industrial design, high-end processor, high resolution display and large app catalog.

Since when is QHD high resolution? All of the current WP8 flagships either match its pixel density (Ativ S-with almost an inch larger screen) or beat it, and all with significantly larger screens. I'm not in the "larger is better" camp. I actually think 4-4.3" is the sweet spot for usability, although larger screens can be nice for games and media. Don't get me wrong; QHD is great for smaller screens, and as sharp as an iphone-sized screen needs to be, but it's not high-end. Not when 720p screens are about to be eclipsed by 1080p. Retina is a buzzword, just like every other "spec" Apple touts, and the actual spec behind the buzzword is beaten by the competition in virtually every category. They sell devices on hype, and nothing else. And the hype is starting to wear down...

Zolotoy

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
You listed some good things but the software makes the platform. IOS has a larger app catalog with higher quality apps. That's what's holding back WP. That's the number one complaint among new users. Specs mean nothing. All phones basically have the same specs and phones with quad cores or 2 gigs of ram are over kill. Nothing will use that power for years. Its apps that make the platform.
Pardon me for jumping in. Yes, OS makes all the difference, but not apps. What's important for you, is nothing to me. Like a radio in the car. Some people care, some can't care less. Engine is what important for everyone. Or at least, should be. I can always get an apps that is not working on the phone to run on my computer, but I cannot use my laptop to make a call. Well possible, but you get my point.

Dzyen

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
At the end of the day, it's all about personal preference. No matter how sound any of the arguments above may be, you have to remember that these are all personal opinions that resonate more/less with each individual. Hardware/Software will only mean something to you if you want it to. Sure, one phone may be better than another on paper, or maybe even in person, but if you don't like it, whats the point of spending your hard earned money?

Instead of forcing yourself to use a device, find a device which you're happy with and suits your needs. That means the device both physically and software-wise (OS, UI, Apps, Etc.) The WP line will never be like the Apple line, nor the Android, or any other (Ubuntu?) you can think of, unless some epic freaking fusions take place between said companies.

I like the WP line because of the user experience as a whole, not because people tell me that the Lumia is the the best phone on the market and the camera is a gajillion times better than an iPhone. That's why I chose this phone, not to mention how beautiful the damn thing looks. My parents hate all high end phones, thinking they are a waste of money, and prefer to stick with cheaper, "outdated" phones like the Lumia 710 or the first Samsung Galaxy. They're right in their own opinion, and i'm right in mine. It's pointless to argue at that point! :amaze:

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the Nokia 920 in red and it's very nice I can't decide weather to keep it or not I have a love hate relationship with it now. I have the iPhone 5 and it's just so easy to use and simple and the apps are just simple. I bought the windows phone because of the office integration for email but other then that I am not sure now. I have been reading about the new bb10 and it may be a winner it remains to be seen. I am so confused on what I should do.

The reason I bought the windows phone is because I had a line on AT&T that I was not using and thought this phone would be great addition. Anyway just thought I would share a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my experience with a smartphone is.....if you are having seconds thoughts about it, you will continue to have those thoughts as long as you have it. if you have a chance to return it without penalty i would advise you to do it. dont spend your money on something your only 50% happy with. the issues you have with it wont go away.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
my experience with a smartphone is.....if you are having seconds thoughts about it, you will continue to have those thoughts as long as you have it. if you have a chance to return it without penalty i would advise you to do it. dont spend your money on something your only 50% happy with. the issues you have with it wont go away.

By that logic, I should have returned my iPhone in the early years, when multitasking was non-existent and Skype ate the battery in 10 minutes when you 'quit' it. But I didn't, because the phone had many good features that outweighed my annoyances. And as the issues were addressed, I was pleased to enjoy the phone.

The 920 is the same to me. Yes, it has teething issues with poor battery management at the moment. MS will address these over time, just as Apple had done with issues on their phones. But the bigger picture is if there are things you do love, perhaps a stylish design, clear screen, great camera, xbox integration, Unread message list in email, etc. then it is likely you can see it out until they are addressed, or just put up with them.

No phone is perfect. But as implied, it is a personal decision that has to be made, based on what you do and don't like and whether it matters to you.

Jed Cutler

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

It's because they have a great marketing team. I saw a video before when the iPhone 5 wasn't released yet.I'm not sure what site did the test but they were asking people from the streets in the US to test the new iPhone 5 using the iPhone 4s. The people they interviewed were saying like oh its so light, screen is so much better etc. They were saying all the "new" features that Apple advertised not knowing at all what they had inhand was an iPhone 4s. I'll try to look for the vid.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm a Windows guy and I love my new Samsung ATIV S WP8 

I say to people all the time "stay in your own eco!" I have a Microsoft eco system Office PC, PC, Xbox360, WP8 and soon ATIV Smart PC, All work together very well.
Now if you have a Mac, iPad, iPhone a full Apple eco system why add a Android or windows too the mix?
Same with Goggle Android Phone & Tablet eco system, why add Apple & Windows to it?
Why can't people pick a friendly eco system and stay in it and be happy? Why have a mix non-eco friendly system and be mad about it?
It's all about the friendly eco system! 

Hmm... I'm literally typing this on a MacBook Air right now, which is on a desk with my Windows 7 desktop PC beneath it, and on top of the desk I have my Windows Phone charging next to my Nexus 7 Android tablet. :winktongue:

And you know what? I couldn't be happier. You can have your ecosystem. I prefer biodiversity. I buy whichever product I think is best for me in any given category and it's just not going to be from the same platform every time necessarily.

I prefer Mac OS X to Windows a bit, and I love the MacBook Air hardware.... but I also like Windows 7 and prefer to be able to build my own desktop PC. I like Apple, but I don't like iOS, so I use a Windows Phone, which I do like. I don't like Android on a phone, but it works great as a tablet and since Windows RT is just getting started and has hardly any apps yet and no small tablets AND I don't like iOS, a Nexus 7 Android tablet was the natural choice for me.

And all my devices play nice together. They all have a SkyDrive app. They all have Microsoft Office (or an equivalent in the case of the Nexus 7) and everything's cool. :cool:

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I guess it just looks been there done that......static icons , grid format

I can't imagine what you think of ios lol. I think you need to watch a few vids on BB10, it's in no way boring. WP8 is nothing compared to what's going on with BB10, we have active frames (better then your live tiles) as well as normal icons , hub, a better browser, BBM, and a whole bunch of interesting features. I'm not saying WP8 is boring either, but you can't compare it to BB10.

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
By that logic, I should have returned my iPhone in the early years, when multitasking was non-existent and Skype ate the battery in 10 minutes when you 'quit' it. But I didn't, because the phone had many good features that outweighed my annoyances. And as the issues were addressed, I was pleased to enjoy the phone.

The 920 is the same to me. Yes, it has teething issues with poor battery management at the moment. MS will address these over time, just as Apple had done with issues on their phones. But the bigger picture is if there are things you do love, perhaps a stylish design, clear screen, great camera, xbox integration, Unread message list in email, etc. then it is likely you can see it out until they are addressed, or just put up with them.

No phone is perfect. But as implied, it is a personal decision that has to be made, based on what you do and don't like and whether it matters to you.

i dont think you're very good at understanding logic. i said if you're not happy with it then get something that you are happy with. dont force yourself to use something that you clearly keep having second thoughts about. that is a personal decision that has to be made. oh wait, your last sentence said the same thing that my logic was saying. that's crazy right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb