Nokia Lumia 920 apps won't launch

Sammy R

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum thing so bear with me...

I have a Nokia Lumia 920 which I am loving apart from some minor bugs that seem to pop up regularly in these forums.

This morning however, I stumbled across a major problem. The phone was running fine and I was surfing across internet explorer before putting the phone aside to drive to work. When I got to work and proceeded to exit the internet app, I noted some serious lag and found the phone wasn't responding.

Eventually I got to the start screen and noted that I was unable to open a number of apps including messaging, email, settings, peoples profiles/contacts (not the people app itself) internet explorer to name a few. However it would load some installed apps. It would receive calls fine and was almost 'half alive'.

Of interest, the affected apps would hinge away into a black screen with only the clock visible. Occasionally I would get a 'Loading' or a 'Resuming' with the loading dots running across the screen. Then the screen would hinge back into the start screen in up to fifteen seconds.

I turned the phone on and off to no avail. I soft reset the phone over the course of the day, again to no avail. I contacted Nokia Care NZ to seek advice and they advised a soft reset. I am yet to hear back from their 'Lumia rep'.

On the way home (8 hrs later), I randomly just tried another soft reset. This has seemed to fix the problem and the phone is running as per normal.

Has anybody else encountered this problem? I am concerned it may re-occur and want to warn you if it does. It pretty makes the phone almost useless.

Thank you for your time!

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its clearly a bad OS installed. soft reset works if only you have a good OS installed but somehow some memory messed up during the course. I would suggest you either let them do a full reinstall or DIY with nokia care suite.

Tero R

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Exactly the symptoms that I got last weekend. Tried soft resets and even did hard resets multiple times. Nothing helped - after minute from the start settings and most of the apps were unresponsive. Took the phone to repairshop, they will let me know when it is done.

e2blade

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Im having this EXACT same problem, i highly regret buying this pile of **** to be honest. I missed a day of work because my boss called me, and if many of you know, Skype has a syncing issue on windows 8 and OMGGGG if you have a windows phone, you also will have that sync issue that will hinder the usage of your phone. Basically, the piece of **** didn't ring. I have owned a droid and hated it, moved to IOS, got sick of being locked in, so i moved to this phone.

Every problem that has been posted in this forum, i have been experiencing,
Creaking case
Battery life sucks
Dust in the front of my camera
and now to my amazement, i cant open any apps after resetting the phone.
Cant text, take photos, IE. etc etc
BUT BUT BUT BUT, i can play music! How damn exciting.

I thought this phone was gonna be the new thing, but all i ended up with was a broken ass pile of crap with ZERO app support.

#1STWORLDPROBLEMS.

e2blade

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh sweet, to continue my rant, i just updated my phone WHICH TOOK OVER 12 HOURS

Now its doing the SAME ****. This phone is the coolest story microsoft ever wrote.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I also have this exact problem. I find that the battery is always hot when it is happening. I have been troubleshooting it with Nokia Care, and have narrowed it down to a couple possible problems.
This almost always happens when I first get in the car, so I am wondering if it is a problem with a handoff from WiFi or between Cell Towers.

I do find if I leave the phone alone for a little to let it cool down a little it will resolve itself, or a soft reset will fix it.

EDIT: I am due for another troubleshooting session with them tomorrow morning, and will let you know what they have to say about it.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Im having this EXACT same problem, i highly regret buying this pile of **** to be honest. I missed a day of work because my boss called me, and if many of you know, Skype has a syncing issue on windows 8 and OMGGGG if you have a windows phone, you also will have that sync issue that will hinder the usage of your phone. Basically, the piece of **** didn't ring. I have owned a droid and hated it, moved to IOS, got sick of being locked in, so i moved to this phone.

Every problem that has been posted in this forum, i have been experiencing,
Creaking case
Battery life sucks
Dust in the front of my camera
and now to my amazement, i cant open any apps after resetting the phone.
Cant text, take photos, IE. etc etc
BUT BUT BUT BUT, i can play music! How damn exciting.

I thought this phone was gonna be the new thing, but all i ended up with was a broken ass pile of crap with ZERO app support.

#1STWORLDPROBLEMS.
So if you have every problem in this forum... Why have you not exchanged your phone for a working one yet?

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
My apps wouldn't launch this morning which also happened every now and then on wp7.5 but just like with 7.5 a simple shutdown, restart corrected the issue for me.

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
After my tech support update with Nokia, they have asked me to send my phone in to the repair center so their tech can have a look at it. Boo. Gonna be 7-10 days without my beloved Lumia. I am not a happy camper about this, but it happens with any early release hardware/software.

e2blade

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Today, my lumia deleted all my email tiles. I am now going to force my lazy ass to the mall to punt this phone into att's anus.

Tero Ronkko

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Got the phone back with letter "Firmware update and factory reset". And the ****ing problem was still there. Now I will be over two weeks in total without phone. I sure hope it doesn't come up broken back from the shop this time.
:devil:

Tero R

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Got phone back - Repair log says that camera- and displaymodules were replaced. Now works.
p.s. Seems like I accidentally have two accounts - sorry.

Edit: p.s.2. And actually now my voice sounds better to other end. People I talked to complained that I sound robotic or "like coming inside deep well"

Last edited:

William Marty

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm experiencing the exact same problem with my Lumia 920.
I sent it to the repair center and got it back after a week. Unfortunately the problem persists. I also noticed that none of the directional sensors work.

thrsdy

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Registered to write here, as i have the exact same problems. My phone is in Swden for info's sake.

The phone will function fine and dandy, doing everything I ask of it. But then out of nowhere, it will just refuse to load the requested app (messaging, calendar, IE, Alarms, Calculator, Camera, and worst of all Settings, are the culprits), stay a few seconds at a black screen and return to start. I can still load apps that I myself have installed from the store (example Baconit works just fine). The problem doesn't resolve itself, so once the phone goes into this bug-mode it stays in it until I soft-reset it. After doing so it has normal functionality, until it bugs out again.

I just got the phone 4 days ago and this is really starting to annoy me. It seems to me that it obviously isn't a hardware fault as it works flawlessly upon reboot. Something in the software is tripping it up as I go about my day; atleast that's how it seems. This bug happens about 3-4 times a day and I have not yet managed to spot any pattern or timing as to what sets it off.

PS I have done a factory reset and this hasn't helped.

NickG92

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Registered to write here, as i have the exact same problems. My phone is in Swden for info's sake.

The phone will function fine and dandy, doing everything I ask of it. But then out of nowhere, it will just refuse to load the requested app (messaging, calendar, IE, Alarms, Calculator, Camera, and worst of all Settings, are the culprits), stay a few seconds at a black screen and return to start. I can still load apps that I myself have installed from the store (example Baconit works just fine). The problem doesn't resolve itself, so once the phone goes into this bug-mode it stays in it until I soft-reset it. After doing so it has normal functionality, until it bugs out again.

I just got the phone 4 days ago and this is really starting to annoy me. It seems to me that it obviously isn't a hardware fault as it works flawlessly upon reboot. Something in the software is tripping it up as I go about my day; atleast that's how it seems. This bug happens about 3-4 times a day and I have not yet managed to spot any pattern or timing as to what sets it off.

PS I have done a factory reset and this hasn't helped.
Im also in Sweden and got the exact same problem, whitch carrier do you have?

I have tried to flash it with NCS and the problem is still there, if i go back to the store with the phone i think the only thing they will try to do is to flash it... Sucks!

thrsdy

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Im also in Sweden and got the exact same problem, whitch carrier do you have?

I have tried to flash it with NCS and the problem is still there, if i go back to the store with the phone i think the only thing they will try to do is to flash it... Sucks!

I'm on the "Halebop Rubbet" which is basically Telia as far as I know? This feels like something is wrong with the windows install and the "factory" apps.

update on the matter: I just unplugged my phone from the charger (from wall) and played around with it. But as soon as I entered an app, it went to black screen and then back to start; becoming unusable again. Will try to replicate it.

edit: no luck. Been torturing it with fast spamming of buttons, opening just about everything, multitasking; nothing. It just works. godammit:)

Last edited:

NickG92

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the same carrier and the thing with the black screen happends all the time for me, but i actully solved it now, i flashed the phone with NCS and then when it booted up i shut down the wifi, then i waited for the Nokia updates for Network+, accesories and many more things, so now all the apps work but now i have another problem... The touchscreen stops working all the time so i cant navigate in the system, wtf

thrsdy

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the same carrier and the thing with the black screen happends all the time for me, but i actully solved it now, i flashed the phone with NCS and then when it booted up i shut down the wifi, then i waited for the Nokia updates for Network+, accesories and many more things, so now all the apps work but now i have another problem... The touchscreen stops working all the time so i cant navigate in the system, wtf

Nokia updates? I never get a prompt for any updates.. Is this something you do manually? And non-working touchscreen sounds bad :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett