Even "handyscan" app takes sharper pictures then default camera app on Lumia 920

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I am the one of the owners of Lumia 920 which takes "out-of-focus" photos. Recently I read about "handyscan" app that is used as a document scanner. I have downloaded that app and compared images taken with Lumia 920 default camera app and with Handyscan. Handyscan takes sharper images, simply as that ! And what is even more interesting I tested to take not only documents but some portrait pictures as well. And Handyscan takes sharper photos of people too. Testing even further, I opened very same picture taken with handyscan in default camera roll viewer and at the same time in handyscan. Yes you are guessing right, even default viewer interpolate "smooth" so very same picture looks blurred while looking at same picture in handyscan viewer looks sharp.

What is the problem with nokia? I know that Dimian did quit but cmon!??!!!

(btw, not portico yet, and hope it will help, really help)

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes there is a noticable difference using Handyscan - there are noticable sharpness improvements even with the Lumia 900. The latest update for the Lumia 920 does provide sharper pictures with the rear facing camera and I would highly suggest loading that onto your device as soon as possible. I bought Handyscan for the abilty to apply a digital signature to documents on the go. The fact that it produced sharper images on my 900 (when I had one) was gravy.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

Attachments

• wp_ss_20121223_0007.jpg
    wp_ss_20121223_0007.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 38
  • wp_ss_20130103_0002.jpg
    wp_ss_20130103_0002.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 36
  • wp_ss_20121223_0006.jpg
    wp_ss_20121223_0006.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 20
  • wp_ss_20130103_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20130103_0001.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 19

ton_pkt

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's a big different here.
Let's see if Nokia can do something about this or not.

Anyway, at least we know that this is the software flaw can possibly fixed by the software update.
Not the hardware flaw. :wink:

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow, that's a big different here.
Let's see if Nokia can do something about this or not.

Anyway, at least we know that this is the software flaw can possibly fixed by the software update.
Not the hardware flaw. :wink:

Yes, talked to Nokia Care and they told me "if you think there is something wrong with your device please return it" and I answered that device works fine but I have to use some other apps to make it work correct ????

ton_pkt

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, to tell you the truth, I did update my LM via the NaviFirm and I would say the Portico really did it's job.

The picture seems crisp and sharper, so you can expect that with your LM soon.

wangvnn

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I recently got my Lumia 920, but we have been discussing about the camera months ago. One of the idea I got from an expert who did read and analyze the white paper of pureview.
The idea is: in low light situation any camera will have a lot of noise, to remove noise we have to apply a blur filter, but too much noise required a lot of blur to remove and it will blur the whole picture. So it is impossible to apply a blur filter for a normal camera. In Lumia 920, with the floating len, it STILL has the noise (no way it can remove the noise completely) but the noise level is low enough to apply the blur filter to get a best picture in low light. Unfortunately, this blur filter is also applied for all situation and as a result the daylight picture will be a little bit blurry. For me I only care about close up, and low light photo so it is perfectly OK for me. The software update will just adjust the blur filter to balance out the lowlight and daylight, but i think no way I can remove them all. That is life you cannot have them ALL.
Cheers. :)

ZiiimZooon

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The pictures with my Lumia 920 gets so easily blurry.. I don't know if there's something wrong with my device, but I will check the stores Lumias.

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Curious... why is the flash angle different in these shots? Was one taken horizontally and the other vertically?
I think they are taken the same way, took a hundreds of it, because default Lumia 920 can take sharp image from time to time......

I can confirm that this one is taken vertically (handyscan) and default Lumia app horizontally....
Please do not scare me and tell me that it should somehow influence sharpness, please god no.......

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I recently got my Lumia 920, but we have been discussing about the camera months ago. One of the idea I got from an expert who did read and analyze the white paper of pureview.
The idea is: in low light situation any camera will have a lot of noise, to remove noise we have to apply a blur filter, but too much noise required a lot of blur to remove and it will blur the whole picture. So it is impossible to apply a blur filter for a normal camera. In Lumia 920, with the floating len, it STILL has the noise (no way it can remove the noise completely) but the noise level is low enough to apply the blur filter to get a best picture in low light. Unfortunately, this blur filter is also applied for all situation and as a result the daylight picture will be a little bit blurry. For me I only care about close up, and low light photo so it is perfectly OK for me. The software update will just adjust the blur filter to balance out the lowlight and daylight, but i think no way I can remove them all. That is life you cannot have them ALL.
Cheers. :)

For me, taking pictures of people, friends at parties and similar are most important. These are mainly blurred, close up pictures are very good on my Lumia 920 dont complaining on that.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
barareklam wanted me to re-open the thread if I tested the method myself, so I did. However, I see little difference between the default app and Handyscan. I give Handyscan a little credit for focusing on the pencil a bit more but that could also be user error. Handyscan also over-sharpened the image creating artificats. Sorry if the images are large. I'm not sure why the forum isn't resizing them like it usually does.

Default Camera:
neverspoken-albums-neverspoken-picture2392-wpdefault.png

Handyscan:
neverspoken-albums-neverspoken-picture2393-wphandy.png

Last edited:

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for reopening the thread.
However, I can't see your images.
When I get back on my PC, I shall post full size images as they are.
Idea with screenshots was to show what we actually see on our Lumias screens, not PC screens.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for reopening the thread.
However, I can't see your images.
When I get back on my PC, I shall post full size images as they are.
Idea with screenshots was to show what we actually see on our Lumias screens, not PC screens.

I switched computers and I can't see them either. Let me try attaching them this time.

Default:
wpdefault.jpg

Handyscan:
wphandyscan.jpg

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
I have spent hours trying to get a good crisp photo out of my 920, consistently. It can't be done. I have tweeked all settings and I can't get a good, consistent pic to save my life. 1 in 10 is worth keeping. In order to get low light pics you better have a tripod or it's blurry. I don't care about all the settings. It's a camera in a phone. I want point, click, done. I have glowing eyes on indoor pics and low light pics, blurry low light pics and soft daytime pics. With Portico! What's The point of HD display if it looks worse than SD? For such a minimalistic OS, Nokia sure went the other way with the camera. Where is the "Dummies Guide to Working a Nokia 920 Camera" book? I want them to take their useless camera software off my phone so I can get a descent pic from my expensive flagship phone. When does that update come out? 😒

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I have spent hours trying to get a good crisp photo out of my 920, consistently. It can't be done. I have tweeked all settings and I can't get a good, consistent pic to save my life. 1 in 10 is worth keeping. In order to get low light pics you better have a tripod or it's blurry. I don't care about all the settings. It's a camera in a phone. I want point, click, done. I have glowing eyes on indoor pics and low light pics, blurry low light pics and soft daytime pics. With Portico! What's The point of HD display if it looks worse than SD? For such a minimalistic OS, Nokia sure went the other way with the camera. Where is the "Dummies Guide to Working a Nokia 920 Camera" book? I want them to take their useless camera software off my phone so I can get a descent pic from my expensive flagship phone. When does that update come out? ��
Me too, And I feel the same frustration. I have downloaded nearly all camera apps to see if some app can help me. Best visual results I get with Camera Easy, but pictures are saved in app folder and one can't move them to PC or upload, but they look sharp and that makes me wonder why nokias own software have so much problems with focus?

barareklam

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Here you go,
To be 100% sure this time I took 10 photos with default camera app, and this one is the best one. Everyting is on Auto and phone is standing on ceramic vase and I am pressing dedicated camera button.
Second picture is taken with Handycam app, but handicam app does not scan in 8 mpix so picture is a bit smaller, and I left it as it is, did not wont to rotate 90 degrees.

Both pictures taken absolutely in same maner.

This time I think that default camera did OK job, but it is like lottery with default camera app, sometimes really poor quality, sometimes great. That confuses me.

Attachments

• WP_20130103_005.jpg
    WP_20130103_005.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Handyscan0010_1_jpg.jpg
    Handyscan0010_1_jpg.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 20

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member