Syncing with Outlook

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
OneNote on Skydrive and WP is free. So is Outlook.com for emails, contacts and calendar. Office 365, a different solution, is not free.

but is not terribly expensive I think its as low as 6.00 a month and they can do exchange active sync for 4.00 a month You probably have to pay by the year.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would have to agree that getting a Microsoft account and using her free SkyDrive and OneNote synching for items will be best long term (and if she doesn't already use a cloud mail provider, getting an Outlook.com account to do that would make her use of any smartphone, not just a Windows phone, a better experience as well).

It sounds like she's probably just used to doing things one way, which is admittedly a bit archaic in technology terms, but it worked for her and she's probably just a bit lost having totally different options that differ from what she's used to. It will just take some time to figure out what she's got, how to do it better with the advent of the internet ;), and making sure she gets comfortable using these services over time.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I would have to agree that getting a Microsoft account and using her free SkyDrive and OneNote synching for items will be best long term (and if she doesn't already use a cloud mail provider, getting an Outlook.com account to do that would make her use of any smartphone, not just a Windows phone, a better experience as well).

It sounds like she's probably just used to doing things one way, which is admittedly a bit archaic in technology terms, but it worked for her and she's probably just a bit lost having totally different options that differ from what she's used to. It will just take some time to figure out what she's got, how to do it better with the advent of the internet ;), and making sure she gets comfortable using these services over time.

Yes, she had a Blackberry and synced with Outlook using Blackberry Desktop Manager which worked wonders for her contacts and her calender.Looking through the web it seems the only phones that really accept good syncing with outlook is the Iphone and some HTC Android phones using HTC sync software.

Other problems she seems to be having is that a lot and I mean ALOT of the numbers she got synced showed up on her 920 in the "People" section with no names just the telephone numbers. Also, she wants to make the calendar view in month view bigger if its possible, and lastly she has her outlook and hotmail account set-up and her events are showing up twice in her calendar how does she fix that. I have the phone so I'm trying to fix it before she takes it back.

expectafight

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Actually the OTA sync thing is really stupid. For example you are at a conference and wifi just suck. You cant get clear data signal either because it is like a billion layer of acoustic shielded or sometimes worst, you are just out of the country. Waited for an hour finally you can use one of cable connected computer and F! you cannot sync it to your phone togo! True and fresh story.

If I'm out of the country, why would I need to sync locally anyway? As of 2011, WiFi has served just about all of my needs when traveling.

expectafight

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
No, she does not have OneNote, she has never used that service before she is coming from a blackberry of 6 years and before that a palm treo so I'm under the assumption that she was used to just pluggind in the phone and updating without using OneNote. This is her first Windows Phone, as she never previously had Windows Mobile.

OneNote is on the OS already my man.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay so after couple hours of troubleshooting I got her to try OneNote, but doesn't like that fact that the file has to stay on Skydrive so that was negated out.

So we moved onto Evernote and everything went okay we got all the Notes from Outlook copied to Evernote, however when we tried to sync the Evernote app on WP8 with the notes on the PC app it did nothing but vibrate. So now we are one step from crossing the finish line just with this little misshap.

*Sighs*

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, good luck. You're doing your part, but the user at the other end of the transaction is being unreasonable. The more complicated you make anything, the more problems can arise.

Good luck to you :).

BobPro2

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Sidewayz8, I'm in the same boat with your Mom. I did the trial version of Akruto Sync that promised to do just what she and I want to do. It took me 2 days to undo the mess that made and they never answered my help request. I have finally come to the same conclusion as the first responder to your original post. Your Mom and I do not need Outlook anymore, and we sure don't need to "rent" Office 365. Our Nokia 920 and a PC running Windows 8 is all we need; we just need to stop fighting the program and use SkyDrive and OneNote and the Windows 8 Calendar. OneNote does a good job with tasks and checklists too. Our only other choice is to abandon the Windows OS completely. Making the "new" work like the "old" is just not worth wasting any more of my time. I'm going to the cloud, and I hope "Mom" is coming with me.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if office 365 home premium will work. Outlook 2013, provides access to outlook.com via EAS.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

BobPro2

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Outlook.com is free, Office 365 is not.
If you have an older version of Outlook (2003, 2007, or 2010) you can download outlook connector from Microsoft. When installed, Outlook Connector will add a pull-down menu on your existing Outlook program and enable you to sync your old Outlook Contacts and/or Calendar to your Windows phone 8. On your phone, the People hub app will then contain your Outlook contacts.
I had to stumble on to this on my own, no thanks to the dummies at the AT&T store that sell the phones they know nothing about.

mrbill66

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the Outlook connector works great with Office 2010. Office 2013 or 365 doesnt need it as syncing is native to the programs. But just search for Outlook connector, download install and it will sync automatically to yuor MS account, send up contacts, calendar etc. You can add contacts via phone or desktop or via web....alls will sync ast the same time. But again you wont have notes without using OneNote etc.

Wish someone would make a pro level Personal Information Manager such as Pocket Informant. Beautiful calendar and notes and contact package. Asked them if they were going to make one for the Win8 phone.....but not until it gets bigger market share...and MS needs to open more API and give them more access to the OS to make it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss