Digitimes: HTC 8X sales ?extremely strong in the US. Really??

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Digitimes: HTC 8X sales “extremely strong in the US” | WMPoweruser
DIgitimes?
usual unnamed industry sources have some good news for Windows Phone fans.
According to their sources sales of the HTC 8X has been ?extremely strong in the US?.
The HTC 8X has not been topping char[TIP][/TIP]ts as far as we know on carriers in the US, but it is the only Windows Phone which is on sale on 3 of the 4 big carriers, meaning it can address a much larger market than the Nokia Lumia 920 for example. The handset?s main differentiating feature is its slim-line design and very high DPI and excellent Super-LCD 2 screen.
HTC may reveal a bit more about the performance of the handset and their business when they report Q4 financials on the 7th January, which is of course in only 2 days.

I Dunno about it. because I don't live in USA anymore.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Bestbuy is basically giving it away for free if you sign two year contract. So, I'm not surprised that it will top the wp8 sales chart.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get it why you guys always sign contracts. Its weird. Literally no one here in NZ sign contacts. Even though a 920 in NZ is $1000 each

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get it why you guys always sign contracts. Its weird. Literally no one here in NZ sign contacts. Even though a 920 in NZ is $1000 each
^^^ that's why. We Americans are cheap and most don't even have $1000 in their bank accounts.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_246 using Board Express

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
American carriers are good at hiding costs and no one tells them they can't. It is a variety a credit...we love to get something for low upfront cost and get ripped off for 24 months. I think that will change as T-mobile deviates from the accepted course. This should put downward pressure on carriers and hardware.

Nophix

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
but doesn't being in a contact. Cause you to be in the mercy of your carrier?

In most areas of the US, we don't have much of a selection in carriers. So, most of us tend to stick with who we have. Since we don't get a discount buying the phone outright and we're paying for the service anyhow, why not take the discount on the device?
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
In most areas of the US, we don't have much of a selection in carriers. So, most of us tend to stick with who we have. Since we don't get a discount buying the phone outright and we're paying for the service anyhow, why not take the discount on the device?
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

exactly

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Whoops, I didn't see this thread before posting a "WP sales thread" in the main WP8 forum.

I think "strong sales" are relative. For instance, if HTC expected to sell 400,000 8X handsets and instead sold 800,000, that's "strong sales" even though Samsung might have sold 4 million GS3s in the same timeframe.

I do think that my prediction of the 8X being the #1-selling WP8 handset will be true, however. Nokia's exclusive strategy, state-side, has been a bit of a fiasco.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
but doesn't being in a contact. Cause you to be in the mercy of your carrier?

1. Majority of the phones sold in America are carrier branded phones. So, you are still under carriers mercy regardless you are on contract or not.
2. Most carrier branded phones, for one reason or another, can't be used in another carrier to take full advantage even unlocked.
3. Non-carrier branded phones can't get LTE services officially.
4. Other than T-Mobile, you can't get service discount by either pay full price or bring your own phones.

For these reasons, no one in their right mind would buy full priced contract free phones unless your current contract has not ended and you really want that new phone.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
At least we are not forced to sign 3-year contracts like the Canadian carriers do. And typically, you can get your next subsidized phones in 18 to 20 months, no need to wait for 24 months. A lot ppl will ditch their current phone and get a new one by that time. Imagine you have to pay $1000 every two years otherwise, that's a lot of money.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Had an intriguing dinner conversation with a friend who works in the channel. He tells me that HTC probably has sold about a million 8X phones in the USA since launch. If true, that's truly awesome news.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The worst thing you can do actually is to use one of the big carriers but refuse to sign contracts and get a new phone. Then, you are plainly blowing your money away.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The worst thing you can do actually is to use one of the big carriers but refuse to sign contracts and get a new phone. Then, you are plainly blowing your money away.
Typically, yes. But there are many who have uunbelievable grandfathered plans. Upgrading through subsidy would throw that all away.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2