Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone found a fix for this?
Where the phone locks and needs to be soft reset to boot up

im on portico and it still happens albeit less frequently

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I have been plagued with this issue as well, except that a soft reset wouldn't always work. I tried numerous firmware revisions up to and including portico with no difference. In desperation, I waited until it locked up again, and then took it in its failed state to a nokia repair centre and they have sent it back to Nokia. I sort of get the feeling that if portico doesn't fix it, then returning it to Nokia is the only option.
Im on my backup phone and android seems primitive now..

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I dont want to go through the waiting period :(
itll suck

if yours gets fixed let me know please!
then ill consider sending it in :p

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Neither did I, but they have said 5 days, and at the end of the day the phone is no good to me if it keeps locking up, especially when I can't guarantee that I can get it back on the first soft reset. The wait will be worth it if they fix it - will let you know

earl_z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have this same issue with my 920 running portico. It's random, but it usually happens when I hook my phone up to the charger. Sometime during the night it locks up; I think when it gets to 100%. It's frustrating because before portico it would lock up but never when charging.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I've been going back and forth with Nokia and Microsoft about this. Nokia told me to disable all my background tasks and see if it went away, but it didn't entirely. Microsoft asked me to disable WiFi and see if it went away, and so far it has.

knobturner75

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I had a white 920 for a little over 2 weeks and it never rebooted or locked up. Due to a weird volume issue I had to exchange for a new one. Well, I was late to church this morning, because my new one locked up on the first night. This morning, I removed the battery app I had installed, and tonight I'm gonna turn off the WiFi. Hopefully this will work. It appears that some phones don't have any trouble. Hopefully they'll get things figured out though.

knobturner75

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, after removing the battery sense app and leaving my WiFi off all night, my phone alarm woke me as intended this morning. It has worked excellent all day, no shut downs. I even got excellent battery life today. Gonna see what tomorrow brings.

xsonwong

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I still have my Skype app installed. If it locks up again, I'll try removing Skype next.
OK, I was wrong, my phone lock up last night.
It is not the Skype fault, still cannot find the root cause.

update: Nokia is working on a fix.
Nokia Care ‏@NokiaHelps
@xsonwong We are currently working on this. An update will be released early 2013 to address this but no specific date yet. ^EP

Last edited:

knobturner75

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
OK, I was wrong, my phone lock up last night.
It is not the Skype fault, still cannot find the root cause.

Well, I couldn't sleep this morning when I posted earlier. When I went back to sleep, my phone ended up locking up. I guess I'll try removing Skype, even though it didn't work for you.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Removing Sype lessened my lockups. Still pretty annoying and I have let Nokia know via the Nokia feedback option in settings.

gtbuzz

May 27, 2011
Visit site
My 920 locks up pretty regularly. Probably once a day or once every other day. This is after Portico too. Prior to portico I had a lockup maybe once a week, so it's gotten worse for me.

I don't have Skype installed so I don't think that's related (or at least it's not the root cause). Based on a tip from someone else, I disabled wifi and that definitely helped. Before disabling wifi it was pretty much guaranteed that this phone would lock up while charging (wireless or usb) or while doing other tasks. Probably 3-4 times a day. Was very frustrating. AT&T said they'll replace the phone for me but they have no yellows. Nokia wants me to send it to them and they said they ahve a 10 day turnaround. Problem is, I don't have a landline and this is my only phone, so unless I went and got a throwaway phone for 2 weeks, it's not an option.

It's really marring what would be an otherwise great experience with this phone.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Mine came back from Nokia on Thurs, working, by Fri it had locked up again, so I have to send it back to them again. So far, hardware resets make no difference, the phone reboots into a locked unresponsive state. Been onto Nokia support and I have to send it back yet again, so that will be another week or more without the phone :-(
Worse thing is, they cant tell me if they will exchange the phone for a new one as the tech repair guy has to make that decision, Im worried that all they will do is flash another firmware on and then send it back..

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Dang... Glad i found this after searching. My idiot self was going to try and go through ATT customer care, but they were gonna give me a refurbished unit and supposedely still the same colour. Being the skeptic i am with ATT and from what i've heard from other people and told them to forget it and contacted Nokia yesterday. They said it would be the max 10day turn around time. Since there is a fix coming i think i'll just wait. But then again i have the dust in the FF camera problem -_- I've been late to work twice in the past month because of this and missed time-sensitive calls from my stock broker. Last week my 920 locked up SIX TIMES! in one day, needless to say i was not happy at all.

Glad the fix was posted by them in a public setting. I trust they are telling the truth and have pinpointed it. Some ATT rep before kept saying it was the Bluetooth issue. ....No.

gtbuzz,
see if you can find a GoPhone that uses a micro SIM. you can use that until they send yours back

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb