Find My Phone shows as "Off" in the Settings Menu, but it appears to be On

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a Lumia 521 and had this problem. I restored it with a backup from my 920. I just did a hard reset but this time I'm not going to restore from a backup and see what happens.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Started off fresh this time and it's fixed.

I'll try doing a hard reset again in a couple days and restoring again to see if the problem returns. If it does, then it has something to do with restoring from a backup.

FoxpawCruiser

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Brand new Nokia Lumia 920.....same "problem" with the Menu showing OFF for "Find My Phone" but slider is ON. No problems with the functionality, though; windowsphone.com can find my phone just fine. IMHO it's a software issue.

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
My phone is stuck like this also - find my phone says off on the settings system menu, but the find my phone screen slider says on. Tried a soft reset, not worth doing a factory reset and reinstall.

I got a replacement phone last week I restored to, (same 920 model, AT&T portico preloaded), but maybe something got messed up, the restore process didn't seem to complete properly.
I don't have two phones on windowsphone.com
I am able to find my phone from windows.com and get it to ring.

However, because I don't have the deeper settings available to enable push notifications, when I buy an app from mywindowsphone, it is not set to and installed automatically on the phone...

My exact problem........:(....I just found this thread as my AT&T 920 is only 3 weeks old...Did a factory reset rectify the issue...? As I have viewed this issue too..

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nok...for-over-8-hours-Nokia-Lumia-920/td-p/1752808

Thanks

EDIT~~~~~~~

Well I did a factory reset and sure enough the 'spinning gears' continued after 30 minutes....so I performed the above procedure (provided by Nokia Care)...and the device then rebooted fine....went into 'Find My Phone'....and there were the two check boxes...Exactly like the Pic 2 on page 1 ...
Very nice.....no flashing needed for the factory reset glitch...now was able to go to my 'purchase history' .......hit reinstall....and all my apps were properly 'pushed' to my device...happy camper indeed! :cool:

Last edited:

Dusan 1

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i have same prob with 820 , and i cant find my phone, no errors , just when i go on website find my phone , i just get phone info on left with picture , and in middle "Take it with you
Get your music, photos, videos, and more from your PC to your phone (and vice versa).
Get the tools" text

Svetoslav Enkov

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The solution was just to set Find My Phone On and then to Ring it from WindowsPhone.com. It asks for a phone number to be used with it and rings. Then Find My Phone works. Dumb, very dumb.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I also have the same issue on my 920 (AT&T) where Find My Phone shows as "Off" in the Settings Menu, but it appears to be On. I have logged into windowsphone.com to try and Find My Phone and it was not finding it. Tried to Ring the phone and that worked. Never heard that loud high pitched sound on my phone before. Lol.

So I tried turning on Location on in the phone and tried Find My Phone again and this time it found my exact location. I've read Microsoft's general instructions on how to use Find My Phone and I did not see any mention of Location having to be on. I guess it's needed. I usually leave Location off on my phone unless I need it for something.

Will leaving Location on drain my battery any faster if I don't have many apps using it?

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Then why don't any of the Microsoft WP instructions mention having to have Location turned on? See this: "For the Find My Phone service to work, your phone needs a battery charge, a cellular data connection, and must be turned on."

Error messages when using Find My Phone on My Windows Phone

Find a lost phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

I thought there was at least built in GPS that this service would use without having to have Location turned on, like for 911 emergencies? Either way I know how it works now and will leave Location on from now on just in case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234