Keep getting disconnected from Messenger?

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in the WP8 section but got no reply. There are a lot more people here so I am posting here again:

My wife has a Lumia 920 and she often shows up as Offline to me even though her phone is powered on. Why is that? I thought it used to show as either Available or Away and I could always send a message and she would get it immediately. Now it's usually offline and of course she can't receive my messages immediately. If she unlocks her phone and starts using it, it sometimes switches to available. Sometimes it requires her to actually go into the Messenger status page to get connected again. Weird. I *think* this problem showed up only recently. Anyone else?

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! My girlfriend and I are going through the same thing.

Similarly to your situation, once she opens Messaging and sends a message, I'll see her as online and can send her messages myself. Until then, she appears offline. I am using a 920 and she is using a Focus 2. We tried resetting both phones but that naturally didn't help. Let me know if you get any more info.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! My girlfriend and I are going through the same thing.

Similarly to your situation, once she opens Messaging and sends a message, I'll see her as online and can send her messages myself. Until then, she appears offline. I am using a 920 and she is using a Focus 2. We tried resetting both phones but that naturally didn't help. Let me know if you get any more info.

If she's having the same problem with Focus 2, that means it's not an issue specific to WP8. That's what I suspected. Maybe the server side backend is undergoing some tweaks as MS is merging the Messenger into Skype this quarter. We have now installed Skype on both phones to see if it fixes this issue.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's an old problem, the WP messenger always had issues, it's just plain crap. That is all.

Well, we've had WP7 for almost two years before these and very rarely if ever had this kind of problem. The problem started to happen in the past few weeks for her.

SevenDead1ySinz

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Make sure your wife doesn't have her availability set to appear offline. As far as disconnection goes, do you have any other products that auto sign into messenger? WLM on the PC or Messenger on the Xbox? If so, one of them may be set to automatically disconnect other connections once it connects.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Make sure your wife doesn't have her availability set to appear offline. As far as disconnection goes, do you have any other products that auto sign into messenger? WLM on the PC or Messenger on the Xbox? If so, one of them may be set to automatically disconnect other connections once it connects.

It's set to available on the phone always. It usually works for a while (a few hours?) and then she loses connection and shows as offline until she unlocks the phone. Sometimes it even requires her to open the Messenger app to get connected again.

She does uses WLM on her laptop which is why we like the Messenger -- it works on any device we are on. But It doesn't have an option to automatically disconnect other connectsions, does it? Anyway, when the phone is in good state and she's using her laptop, my PC WLM tells me she's available on "more than one place" as expected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs