Fix For Lumia 920 Internet Sharing

jersey shore

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I see, we all have same problem. i searched internet, but there is no manual settings showed for T-mob USA. If we could get some, we can manually add it thru Access point app.
About spanish trick, all you need is add spanish keyboard, which will rewrite settings and after restart your tethering will work again. Of course, until you will need MMS and active T-mob access point :(
I think, we just need someone, who could get that damn settings from T-mob (or maybe 810 ???)

If i find fix, ill posted in here.

DarrenSproat

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
This was driving me nuts and then a quick Bing search on my Lumia 920 directs me to the best Windows Phone community in the world (WPCentral, of course) and there's the answer right in front of me. Thank you for doing the investigation I thought I was going to have to do. ;)

Napocensis

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
1) Go to Settings
2) Go to Keyboard
3) + Add Keyboards

4) Select Spanish (Spain)
5) Click on the checkmark icon to install.

Sorry, but I find funny how serious and accurate the instructions are. What magic potion did they put in that Spain Spanish keyboard, that the Mexican Spanish does not have? If you think that a keyboard will do the trick, just download the Malay- 3Mb only.

The internet sharing is just another bug packaged in L920. Mine is a Rogers phone, on Rogers network, sometimes internet sharing works, sometimes it doesn't. When it works, sometimes it lets me connect 5 clients, some other times 8 clients. Totally unpredictable.

What seems to be working for me once in a while, is to create a fake APN (random Connection Name and random Access Point Name) and connect to it for a second (surprisingly, the phone will accept it and connect to it). After that I delete it and revert back to Rogers LTE network, upon which the internet sharing works at least for one session. I noticed that re-connecting to a WiFi usually ruins the Internet Sharing ?magic settings? .

Internet Sharing is more of a Voodoo science than programming.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but I find funny how serious and accurate the instructions are. What magic potion did they put in that Spain Spanish keyboard, that the Mexican Spanish does not have? If you think that a keyboard will do the trick, just download the Malay- 3Mb only.

The internet sharing is just another bug packaged in L920. Mine is a Rogers phone, on Rogers network, sometimes internet sharing works, sometimes it doesn't. When it works, sometimes it lets me connect 5 clients, some other times 8 clients. Totally unpredictable.

What seems to be working for me once in a while, is to create a fake APN (random Connection Name and random Access Point Name) and connect to it for a second (surprisingly, the phone will accept it and connect to it). After that I delete it and revert back to Rogers LTE network, upon which the internet sharing works at least for one session. I noticed that re-connecting to a WiFi usually ruins the Internet Sharing “magic settings” .

Internet Sharing is more of a Voodoo science than programming.

I agree. I have always seriously doubted that adding a keyboard actually does anything.
Whenever I need to rely on internet sharing, when I turn it on I'm always like 'please work, please work' because it can be inconsistent.
But, in my case, whenever it doesn't work, a quick soft reset has resolved the issue.
I know others are not so lucky.

onlineharvest

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
hey, i have the 1308 update on my unlocked 920 from rogers but i cant share internet even though i have access point what can i do?

- Access Point is installed, but have you selected the correct 'access point'? (e.g., your carrier on the list?)
- Once you do, do a soft reset
- Wait for your connection to initialize and try again.

Which carrier are you using it on?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I bought a new Rogers 920 which came loaded with 1308. I got it sim unlocked and internet sharing/mms was working without access point. After installing it, mms worked but internet sharing stopped. I reset the phone, input the mms and internet apn manually, restart the phone and bammm...everything works! Only issue is the phone losing data and getting hot while browsing on 3g, i guess this is due to the 1308 firmware. Btw i m using it on tmobile usa

jersey shore

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
ok, i did hard reset and that fixed internet sharing issue.

BTW, i bricked my 920 right after reset. I get stuck in gears.

I was so mad, because i was away from home and my PC so i could manually rewrite rom.

Funny part is, that i was doing soft reset over and over and after maybe 30-40 times, phone got back in life ;)

So, unbricked it self ;)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
ok, i did hard reset and that fixed internet sharing issue.

BTW, i bricked my 920 right after reset. I get stuck in gears.

I was so mad, because i was away from home and my PC so i could manually rewrite rom.

Funny part is, that i was doing soft reset over and over and after maybe 30-40 times, phone got back in life ;)

So, unbricked it self ;)

Glad to know it worked

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problems as everyone. After the 1308 update, my internet sharing stopped working and the Access point App was broken. After playing with the phone for an hour, I finally found the solution without having to hard reset my phone.

I DELETED the APN settings AND the MMS settings ( in: Settings---->Cellular...) and I turned the phone off and back on again. Then, to my surprise, the access point was working! I was able to choose my carrier which I did.

I then went back to enter the APN and MMS settings manually, I soft-reseted the phone ( Holding volume down and power buttons simultaneously until it vibrates) and went back to activate internet sharing and... VOILA!!! IT WORKED!!!!

And has always worked since!

Try it! It worked for me...

Last edited:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My internet sharing history is funny.

When i first got my phone, it worked
Then it stopped
Installed access point - Started to work
Updated to 1308 - Stopped working
Got access point update - Started working
Randomly stopped working now.

I can't fix it. My operator is selected in access point. It's the only one there. I cannot edit it, I cannot deactivate it. I have tried adding another access point and inputting the APN settings manually, but that still does not work.

I'm hoping a future access point update will sort this out.

richicito

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hlola; con esas instrucciones pude activar mi "conexi?n compartida". Pero hace unos d?as lleg? una actualizaci?n y de nuevo no funciona,
El celular que traje de Canad?, no comparte internet, al comienzo no lo hacia , con sus amigos me solucion? el problema con una aplicaci?n que se llama "Punto de Acceso". Pero despu?s lleg? una actualizaci?n y ya no comparte. al tratar en "punto de acceso" de seleccionar a "Movistar Colombia", se regresa a la pantalla anterior sin activar.
Cuando en conexi?n compartida la activo, entonces se lee que "La conexi?n compartida a Internet no est? disponible. "

Ayuda

richicito

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
El celular que traje de Canad? a Colombia, no comparte internet, al comienzo no lo hacia y, con sus amigos me solucion? el problema con una aplicaci?n que se llama "Punto de Acceso". Pero despu?s lleg? una actualizaci?n y ya no comparte. al tratar en "punto de acceso" de seleccionar a "Movistar Colombia", se regresa a la pantalla anterior sin activar.
Cuando en conexi?n compartida la activo, entonces se lee que "La conexi?n compartida a Internet no est? disponible. "

wp_ss_20130528_0001.jpg
Ayuda

Bert De Ridder

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
View the connection properties of your wifi connection (on the pc – to the phone that is); click advanced and check Enable FIPS

(actually I think it's not a Windows issue but more a provider blocking the sharing feature - FIPS might make it impossible for them to block - my 2 cents)

Bert

Charkatak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
well, after 1308 update, Internet sharing worked great on my Rogers unlocked 920 running T-mob

But, MMS stoped working. At that point i reactivated T-mobile access point , and MMS started working again .... but, i have no internet sharing again :(((

It's always taking me to T-mob web site and pay for service, which i already have :(

Any hint's ???
THX

I have the above issue when: Took my T-Mobile USA Nokia Lumia 925 and flashed it with European firmware. Everything is great and works, but internet sharing doesn't. Tells me that I have to upgrade to hot spot plan and takem me the t-mobile page to add the feature. Tried to add anp settings manually, called t-mobile, nothing yet....still trying

amilayajr

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
This definitely worked on my phone. Using a Rogers unlocked phone running Amber in Koodo Network. I think the issue with people using this is that they don't enter the APN and MMS settings correctly; then install the system app "Access Point" and accessing the app under SETTINGS ----> SYSTEM and look for "Access Point" then activate their current network provider.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire