Physical fault with my Lumia 920?

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anybody else has the same problem with their handset, but the plastic bezel surrounding the screen doesn't seem to be flush against the screen all the way around.

The gap seems widest around the middle creating a dirt trap between the screen and bezel, which is very annoying. I compared this with my brother's handset (bought at the same time) and his is definitely flush all the way around with no gap big enough to catch dust and whatever. The gap on the lefthand side is bigger than the right, probably twice the size, enough to fit your fingernail in (not that anyone would want to do that).

When looking at the handset from the side and lightly squeezing the screen and body together, the screen will sink about 1mm back into the body. It seems as if the innards of the phone and screen are not properly fixed into the polycarbonate body. When looking at the screen the phone feels like it's bulging around the mid section, in width and depth. Also the metal camera plate on the back is not uniformly flush with the body. The side opposite to the lens is raised from the surface and this is noticeable by eye and touch.

Another problem I have is that the phone creaks. Not all the time and I don't know if this is dependant on the temp of the phone internally and externally. Although i do seem to notice the creaking more after holding it for long periods. If the creaking areas are purposely pushed the plastic does feel a bit spongy.

These problems do not affect the function of the phone in anyway, simply just a physical fault... I think. They are also minor problems that only the fussiest would feel uncomfortable with. Don't know whether to take it back or just try to forget it. I'd like to take it back, but I've only just finished setting everything up exactly where and how I want it. Also, It has been 15 days since purchasing the phone from EE so might have problems with returns.

Has anybody else got this problem? What are your experiences upon returning the handset? From what I have described am I likely to get an exchange?

edit: Forgot to mention I also have dust in my FFC

Last edited:

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Have submitted an official complaint with Nokia. Fingers crossed. Need thus sorted out by mid Feb as I'm going on holiday

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My original one had a gap at the top and dust was getting into the Front Facing Camera. The replacement is tight all the around and no dust has gotten in yet. I would def get it replaced.

ryanj04

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah mine has the exact same issue (minus the creaking body). But the first model I had, had the same issue with the sides not being flush and dirt collecting under the front camera lens and along the edges. I had to have that one replaced due to the wireless charging function not working correctly. Once I got my replacement now the left side had a small space with dust collecting in it, and after about a month I now see dust under the front facing camera. :eck:

kong u

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm now pretty confident that I will get a replacement as the dust in the FFC is building up and very noticeable. If the salesman at EE thinks I'm ridiculous for complaining about dust build-up in the gaps then he can't blame me for complaining about the FFC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs