The lack of support from pretty much everyone and the future of Windows Phone

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I really don't understand the people who talk about the original Androids and their app selection BACK THEN.

Because some of us were on Android "Back Then" with all the same problems we see now. It's the most recent mobile OS released where we saw almost all of the exact same things lining up as we do with WP. It's easiest to draw similarities between the two in terms of growing pains..

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Because some of us were on Android "Back Then" with all the same problems we see now. It's the most recent mobile OS released where we saw almost all of the exact same things lining up as we do with WP. It's easiest to draw similarities between the two in terms of growing pains..

Do you realize what year that was? I was around back then too. I remember my G1 didn't even have a software keyboard. I remember Google made all apps free in the market when the market was introduced.

This is a different time, and people have different standards. The phone market is at a completely different level NOW!

Google was new to this.
Apple was new to this.
Microsoft is not.

I guess you guys just sweep all of Microsofts previous performances under the rug.

And I'm not complaining at all, just stating reality.

bawboh86

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sweeping it under the rug, just making some comparisons. I see your point, mind you, that they aren't exactly new to the game (I mean, how long has WinMo been around?), but this is a whole new angle they're trying. I'm merely being optimistic that we get to keep a 3rd option outside of Android and iOS in the mobile space.

aggie

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Right there with you.

As a Mac user all the way through the darkest times, I'm used to being the underdog. This is nothing. I have no problem with this. I'd like to see things improve, but I really don't care about having every trendy app the minute it comes out. My phone does everything I want it to already. I'm not really sure what forum the OP is on, but I don't see announcements on here "almost every day" that third parties are going to drop support or not offer it. Not even close. Not sure where he's getting that from. I will tell you what I see almost every day though, is negative posts like this and people complaining about Windows Phone. Honestly, if you don't like it, leave. Don't rain on my parade. Go buy an iPhone or Android and be happy with your Instagram or whatever. Seriously. Please stop sh**ing all over this forum.

I appreciate the dialogue in this thread. I have a Note 2 and Nexus 4 but am really wanting to try a L920 as I've long loved Nokia hardware and I am very intrigued by the capabilities of the camera. As a person who is not loyal to any one single platform I jump across the various forums to educate myself as much as I can about the pros and cons of each operating system. Threads like this one provide valuable information for people who are trying to make an informed decision about a device they are considering for purchase. Not that I didn't already know that there is limited support for apps in the WP8 ecosystem at this point but I also saw some alternatives as well in the thread that I may not have already known about. What is considered sh**ing all over the forum to you may not be perceived as such my most other users. You can usually tell by the title of the thread what the nature of the post is. You are the one that clicked on it.

windoh

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
All this would be much less of a problem if the OS was more open. As it is, it's locked down and the app market is paltry; furthr, I'm failing to understand why Microsoft doesn't solve much of this by throwing money around, either to name devs or smaller devs that can give them quality apps to make up for what is missing.

AdalLS

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Maybe they are busy coding... it takes time.
I can't believe that Drobox, for instance, is not developing a WP8 app. They just did one for W8, it wouldn't make sense to assume that they are not going to do one.

krystea

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I voted "a little", but that doesn't mean I'm losing hope in WP8. It just bums me out that a lot of devs aren't giving the platform a chance right off the bat.

Steve Ridges

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the fact that the Windows Store is smaller than Googles or Apples present an advantage to a developer? I don't know how many total WP devices are out there but I'm sure it's in the millions. That's a pretty large set of potential customers. If you produce an app for WP, your not having to compete with hundreds or maybe thousands of similar apps on other platforms. Also, the prospect of developing for the desktop, tablet, and phone using the same SDK and relatively minor differences between devices seems like a MAJOR advantage to me. I'm surprised that any developer would count MS out at this point.

Biostud

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I've got an 920 (my first smart phone) in the mail. And one of the reasons was that it seems that windows phone has finally matured and can be a true competitor to iOS and Android. I've been a windows user for a very long time and the integration with win8 seems like a smart move. Nokia drive was another part of the software that moved me towards nokia and wp8. And the fact that google is deliberately blocking software on wp, shows that they see it as a true competitor. Since it's my first smart phone I don't have a some critical app's I need.

gravage

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
It's great to see all of the input and voting. It's clear that all of you are as passionate about this subject as I am.

I went through this with WebOS back in the day, but we had Homebrew and WebOS was much more open, so devs could get creative. It really saddens me to see a refreshing OS with so much potential get so little attention.

I like the simplicity of iOS (things just work), but it bores me. I like the power of Android, but the complexity is actually sort of a disadvantage sometimes and the fragmentation and app incompatibility is annoying. Windows Phone seemed to be the best compromise between both and I love a lot of the features, along with the UI and the look of most apps.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to feel it myself. I've been rooting preaching and rooting for Windows Phone for a while now (since I got an Arrive) and now I'm tired. Yes, this OS is young, but I just don't see it gaining traction. It does seem like everywhere you turn, developers are saying "We are looking to expand our app to aas many ecosystems as possible" without directly saying "....oh yea....that excludes Windows Phone". I've tried to hold out hope. For me, the hardware is there (I guess I can live with the S4 chip). They said they have developer interest (Gameloft, for example, is huge for me). They said they have all these things planned and in order. Now it's a matter of time to see if they can deliver.

For me, I'm giving them a year. By then, Blackberry 10 will also have had time to deliver. If Windows Phone doesn't pick up this year, I'm out. I'm tired of broken promises and Microsoft, with all their resources, not delivering. You know why they don't have developer support? Because they add a few things to the SDK and the OS to "make it more open", then say "OK...we've added a few things. Now get out there and start developing for a platform with ZERO marketshare!" They aren't adding ANY incentives (that we know of), and if they are, it obviously isn't enough. From what I see, it looks like they're just waiting for the platform to pick up JUST BECAUSE they've added a few things (big things, like native code support) that were missing before, and that's not going to get this platform moving...

I LOVE this OS. It is smooth, easy to use, quick, and has HARDWARE STANDARDS while offering varying form factors (the #1 reason I refuse to go to Android unless it is a GSM Nexus, and the Nexus 4 sucks...). I don't like Apple, hate that they're satisfied with their marketshare and won't implement new hardware features (no NFC....really....?), and refuse to support that company. However, I do have needs as a customers, and if this OS doesn't deliver, I will have to swallow my pride and go with SOMETHING that works and has support.

Microsoft knows they don't have any loyal followers outside the people of this board, and they need to work to change that. Stupid small steps backwards like Xbox Music, taking voice navigation out of ALL WP8 devices that don't have Nokia (when they already had the issue of no turn-by-turn on Windows Phone 7.X), or taking Windows Phone exclusives to other platforms doesn't send good vibes to that small following either, let alone people watching from the outside of this ecosystem....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
It's great to see all of the input and voting. It's clear that all of you are as passionate about this subject as I am.I went through this with WebOS back in the day, but we had Homebrew and WebOS was much more open, so devs could get creative. It really saddens me to see a refreshing OS with so much potential get so little attention.I like the simplicity of iOS (things just work), but it bores me. I like the power of Android, but the complexity is actually sort of a disadvantage sometimes and the fragmentation and app incompatibility is annoying. Windows Phone seemed to be the best compromise between both and I love a lot of the features, along with the UI and the look of most apps.
It's crazy you mention this, because I loved webOS as well, and it feels like this ALL over again. I stuck around until the very end, when Palm was bought or whatever and it basically spelled the end for the platform (still have hope something will come out of that project). The only difference for me this time is that it's Microsoft, with deep pockets and potential. The problem with that...?; it's Microsoft. They have a bad reputation, and it's cool to hate them.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Former Palm Pre+ and Pixi (wife) owner here and I, too, see the similarities. Hopefully, Q1 reports on marketshare will be positive and MS will get some of these apps they touted at launch pushed out.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It's crazy you mention this, because I loved webOS as well, and it feels like this ALL over again. I stuck around until the very end, when Palm was bought or whatever and it basically spelled the end for the platform (still have hope something will come out of that project). The only difference for me this time is that it's Microsoft, with deep pockets and potential. The problem with that...?; it's Microsoft. They have a bad reputation, and it's cool to hate them.

Heck, even the writers are the same. Daniel Rubino ran precentral, didn't he?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No one is sh**ing on the forum. We are having an intelligent discussion. Deal with it.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

There is nothing intelligent about this.

The entire premise of this thread (that "almost every day" we see an article on this forum about a third party dev leaving WP) is WRONG. Where do you go from there, when you're starting with a lie, how does an intelligent conversation evolve from that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786