Indian 920 corner

abhibh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations to all the proud owners of NL 920. I’m in the market for a new phone…have been a BB users and looking for a change.
The current is toss is b/w NL 920 and Nexus 4.
Had a questions of on the NL 920 : If I buy a full price NL 920 from AT&T, will it work in India (post unlocking?)

If you buy the AT&T model at 450 USD and get it unlocked, yes the phone will work in India. But AFAIK no one has been able to unlock the phone yet from AT&T.

danish319

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
How & where ? Which City are you from ?
Nokia Lumia 920 is NOT AVAILABLE in Yellow & Red in Mumbai yet.. dafuq ?

I have a good chance of getting the yellow 2mrw if not I'm going for the black...done waiting! The dealer has promised me one pcs out of the 2 he will get 2mrw n the red is available pretty much everywhere. Also the yellow 920 is being sold at exorbitant price(45K) by a guy who has 5pcs... :|

Last edited:

creature4life

Banned
Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a good chance of getting the yellow 2mrw if not I'm going for the black...done waiting! The dealer has promised me one pcs out of the 2 he will get 2mrw n the red is available pretty much everywhere. Also the yellow 920 is being sold at exorbitant price(45K) by a guy who is 5pcs... :|

No one has a Yellow Piece I checked bro, & which dealer have you contacted ? Can you tell me please so that I can contact him too.. Tomorrow is my Birthday & was hoping to get my Yellow Lumia 920 but my Dealers says it will come on Thursday.. Should I wait for it or buy the Black one tomorrow ?

creature4life

Banned
Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I brought from Mangalore (Karnataka)... Yes Yellow and Red available here but, less quantity...

damn.. no stock of Yellow & Red was ever shipped in Mumbai. Only 10 out of 1000, were a yellow ones which sold out the day it was launched by pre-booked customers. Now Have to wait 2 months for Stock to come back :(

sabbynair

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I got my red lumia from chennai a week ago n so far its been splendid. For me, its a huge jump from a nokia 5130 to a lumia 920 n am still figuring out what all I can do with it. Some questions thoough,
1. WhatsApp - I kno a lot has been spoken about this. I am facing the case where the messages don't get delivered immediately but as a chunk later. Is anyone else facing this ? Is this because of some setting that I missed or is this is a possible 'bug' ?
2. The maps - The maps are perfect for driving and navigation, but they don't seem to have too many landmarks. Also, the satellite views seem to be taking for ever to load. I generally tested if my small town in kerala was available and it was. But the satellite images dint show anything. I know I shouldn be comparing :) but satellite images of my kerala town was better in google images. So hopefully, its a matter of time before we get better data ?
3. Location / GPS : Is there any way to control them separately or are they both the same ? When I open drive, it says looking for GPS but I cant find any option to turn it off. Pardon my ignorance, let me know if they are one and the same. They seem to be different in my friend's android device.
4. The camera - I have never been much of a photographer and almost all articles speak of the camera. I tried some night shots and some day shots - all with the default auto settings n this is what I got. Am not able to judge if they stand up to the reputation. What do you guys think ? All images are taken with default settings and NO flash. Also, in case there is a light source nearby, it seems to create a purple tinge. They seem to look good in this view, but if you zoom into the original size, then they are not that sharp.
WP_20130116_042.jpg (purple tinge : upper right corner)
WP_20130116_002.jpg
WP_20130116_015.jpg
WP_20130116_025.jpg
WP_20130119_008.jpg
WP_20130120_002.jpg
WP_20130118_003.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130116_015.jpg
    WP_20130116_015.jpg
    852.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I got my red lumia from chennai a week ago n so far its been splendid. For me, its a huge jump from a nokia 5130 to a lumia 920 n am still figuring out what all I can do with it. Some questions thoough,
1. WhatsApp - I kno a lot has been spoken about this. I am facing the case where the messages don't get delivered immediately but as a chunk later. Is anyone else facing this ? Is this because of some setting that I missed or is this is a possible 'bug' ?
2. The maps - The maps are perfect for driving and navigation, but they don't seem to have too many landmarks. Also, the satellite views seem to be taking for ever to load. I generally tested if my small town in kerala was available and it was. But the satellite images dint show anything. I know I shouldn be comparing :) but satellite images of my kerala town was better in google images. So hopefully, its a matter of time before we get better data ?
3. Location / GPS : Is there any way to control them separately or are they both the same ? When I open drive, it says looking for GPS but I cant find any option to turn it off. Pardon my ignorance, let me know if they are one and the same. They seem to be different in my friend's android device.
4. The camera - I have never been much of a photographer and almost all articles speak of the camera. I tried some night shots and some day shots - all with the default auto settings n this is what I got. Am not able to judge if they stand up to the reputation. What do you guys think ? All images are taken with default settings and NO flash. Also, in case there is a light source nearby, it seems to create a purple tinge. They seem to look good in this view, but if you zoom into the original size, then they are not that sharp.
(purple tinge : upper right corner)

Dear Nair, welcome to L 920 world :) I too upgraded from a Symbian (C7) and I can understand how much refreshing you feel about the new OS and also the limitations you may have :p

1. Whatsapp is still buggy... and the improvements are still being incorporated. Soon we may have a better working Whatsapp as per their own statement.
2. Maps provided by Nokia are basically for driving and identifying locations. Yes, in India still may POS's need to added. Satellite image is entirely different thing. Google has higher resolution pictures compared to Navteq(Nokia Maps/Here), but it is matter of time for Navteq/Bing to update the maps. But the kind of infrastructure Google has for maps is unparalleled.
3. Location and GPS are pretty much the same. You need to turn on you GPS for identifying your location and then provide you with directions. Also, WP/apps uses your locations for optimizing search information local to your area.
4. Your photos are really good for automatic settings. The purple tinge can be because of light reflection from some source... Playing with settings has produced varied results for me... From exceptional to pathetic :p Yes, low light photos are just amazing... no matter how much flash you have you can never get that kind of images :) Day light photos are little softer, you can increase the sharpness using some post processing. Have you tried creative studio? Sometimes pictures on my friend's N8 were better, may be because of bigger sensor. But for L 920 Nokia focused more on low light photography. Hopefully, in future they combine both PV 808 and L 920 :)

Cheers,
LS

rohit330

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I brought from Mangalore (Karnataka)... Yes Yellow and Red available here but, less quantity...

Are you sure about yellow...We have been told that yellow is the rarest and NPD Bangalore has not yet received one piece at all.. Actually one of my friend eagerly waiting for yellow still...i got my red anyways..

iamSherlocked

May 19, 2012
Visit site
@sabbynair 1. whatsapp has some problem becoz its the same old one in wp7 and do not take advantage of new os. But dont worry. New update is coming soon.2. Nokia maps have very less true satallite images for india. They want to give best experience possible so its taking time to make satallite images available for india coz u know india is tough nut to crack when it comes to mapping and navigation.3. GPS can never be turned off bcoz no option is provided. Moreover there is no need to do this becoz it only turns on when it is needed. Only option is that u can stop sharing your location to some apps and websites which uses it to provide location based services by switching off Location. It was need for privacy reason so its here. And if less app will use it, gps will also remain turned off for longer.4. Ammm, i guess you are expecting too much from a phone's camera. See the pics, they are too nice, and i bet u cant get those amazing night shots from any phone on auto mode. And if you want more, then you need to be a bit tricky. For a start, try different seans option in settings and use night mode in perticular to take dark shots.For zooming, its obvious that pic will not be sharp when u zoom. Its becoz the sensor is 8.7mp only. For best zoom after click, more mp is needed, like the 41mp camera of nokia 808. Case Solved.

abhibh

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
2. Maps provided by Nokia are basically for driving and identifying locations. Yes, in India still may POS's need to added. Satellite image is entirely different thing. Google has higher resolution pictures compared to Navteq(Nokia Maps/Here), but it is matter of time for Navteq/Bing to update the maps. But the kind of infrastructure Google has for maps is unparalleled.

Did you know Google takes its mapping data from Navteq ?

sabbynair

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
.4. Ammm, i guess you are expecting too much from a phone's camera. See the pics, they are too nice, and i bet u cant get those amazing night shots from any phone on auto mode. And if you want more, then you need to be a bit tricky. For a start, try different seans option in settings and use night mode in perticular to take dark shots.For zooming, its obvious that pic will not be sharp when u zoom. Its becoz the sensor is 8.7mp only. For best zoom after click, more mp is needed, like the 41mp camera of nokia 808. Case Solved.

@iamSherlocked. Thanks for ur reply. I guess you are right :) Maybe I was expecting too much. But that was because I saw some forums where ppl had posted some pics n they looked top class. Its probably bcos of my lack of photography knowledge that I thot they were all shot with default settings. I will play around more with the photo settings.

One more question : I still have not set up my gmail. I read that if I set it up as an outlook account, then I will be able to check mails and the push might not happen immediately but at user defined intervals (15, 30 mins etc). Is this correct ? There is an article today that MS is trying to provide a workaround as Google is pulling the plug on Jan 30. Should I wait for that and set it up or does it not matter at all ? How should i set up my gmail ? I dont use the google calendar so I dont really care about it. All I want to do is use my mail and send replies to my gmail contacts. Please advice.

nileshdd

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
@iamSherlocked. Thanks for ur reply. I guess you are right :) Maybe I was expecting too much. But that was because I saw some forums where ppl had posted some pics n they looked top class. Its probably bcos of my lack of photography knowledge that I thot they were all shot with default settings. I will play around more with the photo settings.

One more question : I still have not set up my gmail. I read that if I set it up as an outlook account, then I will be able to check mails and the push might not happen immediately but at user defined intervals (15, 30 mins etc). Is this correct ? There is an article today that MS is trying to provide a workaround as Google is pulling the plug on Jan 30. Should I wait for that and set it up or does it not matter at all ? How should i set up my gmail ? I dont use the google calendar so I dont really care about it. All I want to do is use my mail and send replies to my gmail contacts. Please advice.

Set it up today as Google Mail. You can then sync email, calendar and contacts and will work after Jan 30 too. If you set it up after Jan 30, you can sync only email, no contacts or calendar.

rohit330

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I have been using my lumia 920 on Vodafone Network (INDIA) since i purchased the phone. It was working quite well till today morning and all of a sudden i am not able to see the EDGE symbol. There is no G or E or H (Tried with both 2G & 3G). I called the customer care and they are saying my phone doesnt have any settings. (Its been a week i am using the net). In access point, i could see Vodafone (active) which is not editable nor viewable. I created a new apn named vodafon with apn "www" and saved it (Left all other fields empty) and activated it. Turned off my phone for 5 minutes. No luck.. Have toggled to default settings again. What should i do. I doesnt even know what is the problem. :( My data connection is ON. Is there any other place which i missed out to do the checks.

Thanks in advance..

PS: Do we have an option to turn off the accelerometer? Sometimes, unnecessarily the screen flips :|

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad