Disheartened by lack of support and this is what I do/did so far for Windows Phone

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Just a suggestion for you, I use NextGen Reader on my Lumia 920 and there is a nice metro app for my W8 desktop.
Thanks for the suggestion but I am looking for a news reader aggregator that doesn't require a Google account. My current solution is Weave on Windows Phone and Pulse and Microsoft's News app on the Surface. But I still would prefer one service that supports both platforms.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but I am looking for a news reader aggregator that doesn't require a Google account. My current solution is Weave on Windows Phone and Pulse and Microsoft's News app on the Surface. But I still would prefer one service that supports both platforms.

Isn't Weave there yet for Surface? The developer is super enthusiastic for such stuff. I'm surprised he hasn't got on Windows 8 train yet. If you email him 100% he will reply! Seles Games are pretty good with communications. Just how I like :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Isn't Weave there yet for Surface? The developer is super enthusiastic for such stuff. I'm surprised he hasn't got on Windows 8 train yet. If you email him 100% he will reply! Seles Games are pretty good with communications. Just how I like :)
He's working on it. That's what he said when I tweeted him.

textomatic

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Just checked and no Weave app for the Surface.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
just send emails to the developers of Heywire and Kik Messenger asking them to update their apps to fix live notification. Currently both apps work perfectly except for broken notification that don't show at all. hopefully they get this.
who else emailed their favorite app developer?

BeaverJuicer

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I sent an email off to one developer of my favorite automotive tracking app for my iPad, thinking if he was developing for it, he probably wouldn't have an issue supporting WP. His response was the typical "If you get more users, I'll develop" bs that you hear. My response to him was:

"At present, there is a small (in comparison to iOS and Android), yet untapped market for your application. I do like the application, as it is what I am familiar with. I do not want to invest my time and money into relearning an application.
However, if you wait until WP has X number of users before you start to develop, that will mean that X number of users will have searched for your application and then, when not finding it available, will have invested their time and money into a competing app that does the exact same thing. We will then be familiar with that app, and be used to the gestures required to make it do what we want. YOUR product will then be the unfamiliar one.
We will not then reinvest our time and money into relearning your application. Instead, the developer who offered us the product we wanted, when we wanted it, will have gotten and continue to get our money.

Your choice."

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So I sent an email off to one developer of my favorite automotive tracking app for my iPad, thinking if he was developing for it, he probably wouldn't have an issue supporting WP. His response was the typical "If you get more users, I'll develop" bs that you hear. My response to him was:

"At present, there is a small (in comparison to iOS and Android), yet untapped market for your application. I do like the application, as it is what I am familiar with. I do not want to invest my time and money into relearning an application.
However, if you wait until WP has X number of users before you start to develop, that will mean that X number of users will have searched for your application and then, when not finding it available, will have invested their time and money into a competing app that does the exact same thing. We will then be familiar with that app, and be used to the gestures required to make it do what we want. YOUR product will then be the unfamiliar one.
We will not then reinvest our time and money into relearning your application. Instead, the developer who offered us the product we wanted, when we wanted it, will have gotten and continue to get our money.

Your choice."

That is an excellent way to put it. I wish we didn't have to remind devs about this and they just would know what implications are. I do understand that developing is time consuming but for some big devs, shouldn't this be a day to day thing. Their bread and butter? It's like a doctor telling me, that learning a new type of surgical instrument is too time consuming! I would expect him to know how to adapt to something new, if that's another way to perform a surgery! Same way, even if WP only gives them 2% of their total income, it's not like developing for WP means they can't earn money from fruit OSs and robots.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
just send emails to the developers of Heywire and Kik Messenger asking them to update their apps to fix live notification. Currently both apps work perfectly except for broken notification that don't show at all. hopefully they get this.
who else emailed their favorite app developer?

Any response? Whatsapp devs replied me finally! 5th time was the charm. They agreed on the flaws and are aware of annoying streaming and said they will look to fix it in future releases but no etas. Its not anytime soon.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
here to report back that within less than a week the heywire app has been updated and push notifications and live tile are in full working conditions. sending emails to the devs does work people! I am glad i have a functioning SMS app now ^_^

it's not like developing for WP means they can't earn money from fruit OSs and robots.
this made my day XD

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
here to report back that within less than a week the heywire app has been updated and push notifications and live tile are in full working conditions. sending emails to the devs does work people! I am glad i have a functioning SMS app now ^_^

this made my day XD

That's awesome! I really wish that 52% who voted for paying one off money actually supported the platform like you! We could see this app hole change much quickly!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the random question, but how do you make a "poll-thread"?
WWhen you start a new thread, there is option right at the end saying "add poll to thread" or similar. Tick that box. Submit thread. Then it will ask you to create a poll. Then you submit thread again. It then goes live.

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't think this is inherently a Windows Phone 8 issue. I think this issue exists with all mobile operating systems (except Apple for apps). I'd love a few more apps for my Blackberry Playbook too.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think this is inherently a Windows Phone 8 issue. I think this issue exists with all mobile operating systems (except Apple for apps). I'd love a few more apps for my Blackberry Playbook too.

One impression I've been getting is that Microsoft isn't behind the platform as much as it was before the launch of Window 8. It was almost like it wanted "Metro UI" to be known and WP7 was the only option then. Now all it's efforts seem to be concentrated on marketing the "ecosystem as a whole" and pushing that forward. WP8 onwards, I have a feeling, it will just have to drag along the phone.

If Microsoft itself isn't offering the push, it is hard for any developers to dedicate their resources.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay, that's it.
Once I learn how to code for Windows 8, I'll try releasing a decent app (maybe a game) on to Windows Phone.
Though, that's actually far off. I'm only 15 years old :)

Anirudh Sarma

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been on the WP bandwagon since day one. But recently I have been exposed to some new Android devices and frankly I think Microsoft lost a year in the process of rewriting WP8 as both iOS and Android are leaving WP in the dust. IPhone 5 is ridiculously fast and Android is fast and has Google Now which is amazing. And contrary to what some bloggers want to think apps do matter. Recently I canceled all my Google accounts and no longer use Google Reader. So I'm trying to find an alternative that can sync my news between my WP7.5 and Surface. The only news app that I found that supports both platforms is News360 but that app is buggy on the Surface. My first choice is Pulse but there's no WP7.5 version (or WP8?) There's Zite on WP but none on Surface. Bottom line I cannot find a good Google Reader alternative. Which brings me to the conclusion that in the end it doesn't matter if you have Live Tiles or Kids Corner or the best phone camera on the world. Right now I can't even find a simple news reader service that can sync between my Surface and WP. So yeah, apps matter. I have until November before I can upgrade and right now I'm not sure I am sticking with Windows Phone. I want to but I also want a phone/tablet ecosystem that can deliver what I need. And right now Windows Phone isn't doing it.

Which android phones did you try ? I have tried the s3 and the one x which are pretty new and are equipped with a quad core processor and 1gb RAM, yet the phone lags its bearable but noticeable. android is/has never been smooth. the only android phones that are smooth are the ones with stock android. But all samsung phones lag pretty bad. I have used android for two years and i know using a samsung on stock touchwiz OS is a nightmare

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786