Computer Not Recognizing Device

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
It seems similar to what happened with my Titan I, but seriously, already I just synced it last week and now all of a sudden I plug it into my computer and the normal box to explore the phone box does not appear nor when I go to "My Computer". It makes the noise that it's charging when I plug it in, but does not show up on computer. Is it a bad USB, bad cord, need a replacement device or what is the issue? Not even Zune see's the phone as well. On my Titan I, they said it was because the USB stint in the phone got bent and was causing a bad connection.

Tr1cky49

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Two things come to mind:

1. Do you lock your phone with a passcode? If so then it won't appear on your PC when plugged in until you type in your passcode on the phone itself.
2. Windows failing to assign a drive letter to the phone - go to the Disk Management area of Windows and see if there's a drive there that doesn't have a letter assigned to it when the phone is connected. If so then assign a letter to it and then see if it appears.

Failing that you'd need to look in Device Manager to see if there are any devices appearing there with exclamation marks next to them.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If you're using a desktop, make sure it's plugged into the USB ports in the back of the computer.

Try a different USB port.

Try a different USB cable.

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Are you on XP? Vista? 7? 8?

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Okay, tried different USB ports that didn't work. I did shut downed my computer and restarted it and it still didn't work. When I open "My Computer" all it lists is (C,D,E) when I click on E nothing happens. I think when I used to plug it in it used to show up as the F drive.

I'm using Vista on my computer. How it worked last week was that, I would plug it in, in the bottom right hand corner it would say USB drive detected and then a few second later a window pops up asking me to:

1. OPEN USING WINDOWS EXPLORER..

2. etc

Now when I plug it in, it makes the noise saying that it's charging but nothing else ever happens. I'm going to try a new cable.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
my device just started doing the same out of the blue. Worked fine 3 days ago, now when I plug it in nothing pops up or is showing up in my computer. windows 7...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It seems similar to what happened with my Titan I, but seriously, already I just synced it last week and now all of a sudden I plug it into my computer and the normal box to explore the phone box does not appear nor when I go to "My Computer". It makes the noise that it's charging when I plug it in, but does not show up on computer. Is it a bad USB, bad cord, need a replacement device or what is the issue? Not even Zune see's the phone as well. On my Titan I, they said it was because the USB stint in the phone got bent and was causing a bad connection.
Zune will not work with the 920. Zune is only for WP7/7.5. WP8 does not use Zune.

melvinmajor

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
WP8 devices DOES work with Zune but ONLY WITH Windows 7, Vista or XP... Not with Windows 8.
For Windows 8 OS, please use Xbox Music / Xbox Video and the syncing app avalaible on the Windows Store to be able to sync with your WP8.

lesd777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Its possible you have a couple cables that's the culprit. I've got one that only charges but doesn't show the black phone icon on the bottom right of the taskbar and obviously not listed in my drives. However with the right USB cable it works fine. Also, can you try a different PC?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I will try a different PC and see what happens. So far all the ports on my computer doesn't change anything plus I tried my old HTC Titan cord with no success.

And yes like someone said earlier, ZUNE does work with Windows OS before 8. I had used it once to name it and move pictures.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem. It took forever for me to figure it out but for me I had to:

Go to Music +Video on phone
... Settings
turn Xbox Music Cloud Collection off
reconnect to computer

This problem eventually resolved but that is what worked for me.

sabotagebx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Its possible you have a couple cables that's the culprit. I've got one that only charges but doesn't show the black phone icon on the bottom right of the taskbar and obviously not listed in my drives. However with the right USB cable it works fine. Also, can you try a different PC?
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

its not the cable as it works fine with my laptop

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem. It took forever for me to figure it out but for me I had to:

Go to Music +Video on phone
... Settings
turn Xbox Music Cloud Collection off
reconnect to computer

This problem eventually resolved but that is what worked for me.

Surprisingly this worked when I got off after work!! I'll see if it works again later today as well, but if it does I wonder why this would cause an issue with USB syncing?

desudo

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly this worked when I got off after work!! I'll see if it works again later today as well, but if it does I wonder why this would cause an issue with USB syncing?

OMG.been driving me bonkers for days. and this seems to be the only way to resolve this!

surely MS need to know about this fault

Thanks so much. Saviour!!!:grincry:

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem, and it resolved on its own after like 20 plug in/unplugging of the device. That was like the 3rd day I got my phone, and it has already been connected to the computer... since that day it just works...

able1

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened to me. In task bar click on the small usb icon with the green tick ( safely remove icon ) click on it once and then click on ' open devices and printers ' you may then see the black Lumia 520 device icon, double click on it to open a pop out box, on the right side will be ' change general settings ' click on the drop down box and select ' when this device connects, open windows explorer to view files', click ok, close down phone, restart computer, start phone and connect usb cable and phone again, worked for me but you may have to try a different selection on the drop down.

mkmanofsteel

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this problem recently with all my devices, new droid phone, I tried to update my GPS, then tried to look at my old wp7, it doesn't recognize them but charges them. must be either some setting in Windows that is doing this or something that controls all the USB's is fried or something idk? I wonder how it can charge them but not see them in the Explorer or Zune in the WP 7 case. I hope to find an answer for this before I restoring my entire computer and hope that works oh and by the way use my daughters notebook to rearrange files on my android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb